Knit related rant: Never in my size

This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
annekaelber wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 11:20 AM

You said it all!

I cancelled my subscription back in 2007 or thereabouts because I was tired of finding no patterns I could use. I'm a short, heavy woman about to turn 40 --- and I live in Arizona! Not only can I rarely wear the big bulky sweaters every winter issue is packed with, but I can't fit into the ones being offered.

I'd love to find a magazine which focused on teaching, not selling patterns. Put the power in my hands, let my needles work for my family, not some imaginary family of tall, thin, bustless people!

For these reasons, I've been spending a lot of my pattern-seeking time on Ravelry, where I can support smaller, unknown or lesser known designers. I look at the various projects made from a pattern by other users to see the different yarns and colors it's been made in. I'm willing to pay more for a single pattern I can use (in PDF form) than a magazine full of useless high-end yarn comparisons and patterns too small to be useful.

I'm officially joining your boycott -- if you or anyone in this thread -- come up with a logo to represent the boycott, let me know and I'll add it to my blog.

Anne.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MayaN wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 3:23 PM

I recommend the book Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. She does some classic patterns, and even explains how to design your own sweaters. Not only that but her sizes go up to 3x.  You can find her blog here if you're interested http://www.knitandtonic.net/knitandtonic/

Also Unpatterns  Karen Alfke are also really helpful because she shows you how to make a sweater with no pattern.  You can find them here http://www.2ndesign.com/ if you don't have easy access to a LYS then you can also buy them via patternfish.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
irislogic wrote
on Mar 2, 2010 1:05 AM

Is there a standardized way of altering a pattern so that it'll fit a larger (or smaller as the case may be) size?

hot tubs          ventrillo server 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Carolyn wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 8:25 PM

Ah ha!  So I'm not the only one who's frustrated trying to make things fit!  I'm not quite 30 yet, but I've had 3 kids, and I have the tummy to prove it!  I don't have a huge bust, but still, I'm almost always having to choose the largest pattern, (at least 40") and even then, I have to try and tweak things so that I don't end up looking like I'm still pregnant!  It's funny, you'd think the pattern editors would notice that things are too small, but perhaps they all have the ability to tweak patterns easily.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 19, 2010 9:52 AM

irislogic:

Is there a standardized way of altering a pattern so that it'll fit a larger (or smaller as the case may be) size?

Hi to All Who are an Ample-Sized-Hug,

I fit into this category of being not petite.  When you see a pattern you like, make gauge.  You can count the number of stitches you cast on to get gauge.  When the pattern says cast on for 60 stitiches for the back and you need 70 stitches for your body measurement, cast on 70 stitches.  Add the extra 10 stitches to the pattern.  You can always adjust the number of rows needed to make your garment longer or shorter than what is called for.

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 4
PeggieLee wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 12:46 PM

severinafalis....thanks for the info on Yarn Forward....I for sure am gong to check it out.

cobaltcanarcherry........I must agree with you. I already buy my mags at book stores and magazine racks so that I can check for usable patterns before I buy! We all should do that.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS