3-D Needle Felting

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Dec 30, 2009 10:15 AM

I want to know how you needle felt 3-D. I kind of made up a way myself by rolling  a rectangle piece of roving into a  cinnamon roll-shape and needle felting the end down and felting all around. I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jetmuis wrote
on May 31, 2010 9:51 AM
Yes there is a much better way, i've bought the newest book of Irene van der Wolf title Image in sight II ISBN 978-90-78071-81-5 she show in the book (its dutch and english with beautiful picts) how you can upwolfing in the washing machine, so you make 3d felt materials. soooo awesome on her site you can see more and how you can become of the upwolfing mat. i have tryed it out and its working really good . www.upwolfing.com hope i have given your some help;-D
Not Ranked
Posts 4
bethanydugas wrote
on Jan 20, 2011 5:23 PM

There are a few ways to start.  You can make a wire or pipe cleaner armature and wrap around it with thin layers of wool that you build up until you have the dimensions you want and then secure by needle felting.  Some Waldorf education books use this method without the felting needle (try Magic Wool) which can be then adapted to needle felting.  You can adapt your rolling method (lots of professionals do this), varying the sizes of your rolls and after felting to shape (remembering that by poking in one place longer you shrink and harden that area) attaching the various parts.  You can use techniques from primitive doll making, like using the same format as for a yarn doll and applying it to roving, then felting.You can felt flat shapes and then use the felting needle to "sew" the shapes together (I do this to make clothing over felted figurines) and stuff if you wish.  Pretty much any technique applied to sculpting, sewing or quilting can be adapted!  Interweave felts, Spin-Off, Fiber Arts, and Living Crafts magazine all have really good articles to get you started.  Also, some people learn a lot by getting a kit and then adapting what  they learned for their own ideas.  A Child's Dream Come True has some really good kits.

(Love all forms  of felting and now have a related business.  This is a truly addictive art form!)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS