The Official Slanting Gretel Tee Knit-Along

This post has 388 Replies | 24 Followers rated by 8 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,489
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jan 10, 2010 10:33 PM

Hello KALers!

The margin between the Slanting Gretel Tee and the Heather Hoodie was so slim that I decided to run two knit-alongs.

This is the forum for the Gretel Tee knit-along. This pattern appears in the fall 2009 issue of Interweave Knits. (NOTE: The Fall 2009 issue of Interweave Knits is out of stock at Interweave, but there are tons of copies out there at local yarn stores—in shops and online—and at bookstores. Safeway here sells it, and JoAnns and Michaels, too. Try online at The Yarn Barn or Loops, or any yarn shop, really!)

The schedule will be as follows:

1/11-2/1: Swatch for gauge and knit the body of the sweater to the armholes.

2/1-2/15: Finish remainder of sweater.

2/15-2/22: Complete finishing and block sweater. Then post photos in this forum!

Questions? Let me know!

Knit on,

Kathleen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Carolyn wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 9:26 AM

Hi!  I've never done a KAL before, so I have a question... do I have to register somewhere, or can I just start knitting? I'm really looking forward to making this tee shirt!  Thanks for doing both!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,489
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jan 11, 2010 9:28 AM

You just start knitting! And post pictures, questions, comments, etc. in this forum.

Welcome!

Kathleen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 11:59 AM

Hooray for the Slanting Gretel Tee!  Kathleen...are you energetic enough to participate in both yourself? Huh?

I have some Cascade 220 superwash Paints that I think will work well for this.  Going to start swatching to make sure it will work...after I finish another project on my needles.  I am NOT allowing myself a UFO...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 11, 2010 12:26 PM

I was considering using a worsted weight yarn for the Slanting Gretel Tee myself, but wondered how much fiddling with the pattern would be necessary to make it work in that yarn weight? The pattern calls for a light sports weight yarn. Candice

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MonikaRenard wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 1:16 PM

So glad we are doing this Tee! I'm looking for yarn now!

Monika

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronwyn B wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 1:38 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I live in Australia, and would dearly love to do the Slanting Gretel Tee knit-along. But, I have searched all the Newsagents in my area and am unable to find the Fall issue of Interweave Knits. Is there no hope for me to be able to tackle this project?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
TammyM@2 wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 1:40 PM

Yeah!  I am making this in Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino, nothing quite like it to make those cables pop and the design stand to attention. The softness of the fiber pampers my fingers! Can't wait to do this project with all of you. This will be my first KAL! Let the Tee begin!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,489
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jan 11, 2010 1:47 PM

Hi Artful Soul,

I'm going to knit both projects! At least that's the plan. I love both projects, and I like to have a couple of things going at once, so I'm in. I'm swatching for the Tee and I think I'm going to use Classic Elite Premier. It's so, so soft. I've heard it pills a bit, but that's okay--I have a sweater shaver.

Glad you're joining me again!

Kathleen

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
dbaines wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 1:56 PM

Yay!!  This is my first KAL and I'll start swatching as soon as Canada Post brings the yarn Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
Jeanxo wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 3:03 PM

This is my first knit along, I am excited to get started.  I found some yarn in my stash that I bought on sale.  It is Caron Spa.  I have hopes that it will work up nicely and be a great bargain in the process.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Lpatrick_99 wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 6:04 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I am having a hard time finding the Fall 2009 Interweave Knits mag. I have tried 4 yarn shops, Michaels and Jo-Anns. So far no luck. There is plenty of Summer '09 & Winter '09. Fall '09 must have been a very popular issue where I live in Santa Rosa, CA. I'll keep trying. Does anyone have a store I can contact in Northern CA?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
JaniseE wrote
on Jan 12, 2010 8:26 AM

I have been unable to find the fall 09 interweave knits any where online - tried the yarn barn and loops.  Any other suggestions on how to obtain the pattern for the slanted gretel tee?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
elasseter wrote
on Jan 12, 2010 9:33 AM

I have deleted the email which describes this tee and gives the yarn requirements.  Could someone please forward those to me (BTW I found the pattern at The Yarn Barn in Virginia)>

Thanks,

Ellen

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
Jeanxo wrote
on Jan 12, 2010 9:54 AM

It takes Zitron Noblesse (70% merino, 30%silk) Distributed by Skacel.  165 yards, in Slate 5(5,5,6,6,6,7,7,8,8)

Page 1 of 26 (389 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS