IK's version of Ravelry?

This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
LuiseE wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:31 PM

Is that what you're trying to create here, a Ravelry for IK? Is this really needed by the knitting community? Just wondering.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 290
Editor
KD Sandi wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:56 PM

LOL!  I knew that question was coming!

I think any and every new forum that gets started from now on will be asked that same question. Some folks may ask themselves: Now that Ravelry exists, do we really need ANY other forum or community site?

So here's my answer: Well, of course we do. Do we need only one yarn shop? Only one knitting guild? Only one website for all our different personalities, needs, wants, and abilities? One size does not fit all, and amazing though Ravelry is (I heart Ravelry and spend waaaayyy too much time there, trust me!), does that mean places like Knitter's Review and Knitty and Craftster should just close down? Of course not. Different communities and sites meet very different community needs.

And of course: Ravelry is MUCH more than just a forum. It's a whole thing unto itself. I doubt anyone could duplicate it, or would want to. I can spend hours and hours there and never even go near the forums.

As I mentioned, there are lots of other forums; each of them has their own flavor, their own character. Go hang out on the Knitter's Review boards and you will see that they are quite different from Ravelry.

A forum becomes what its members make of it; it also is rooted in its creators/hosts talents, visions, and specialties. Jess and Casey of Ravelry are quite different from Clara of Knitter's Review; all three are different from Amy of Knitty; compare me to any of those folks and you have a whole roomful of very different, very unique folks. Our forums will thus be unique and different, too...

Knitting Daily and its forums are deeply rooted in Interweave's long tradition of amazing patterns and editorial content that encourages you to grow and stretch in your craft-of-choice. We'll have all the IWP editors and staff here on the forums, to share their unique points of view, and their amazing talents.

Try us out. We're not Ravelry, and we aren't trying to be. We're Interweave, and we're Knitting Daily, and from all the new KD folks I have met on the forums in just the past few hours, this is going to be a pretty rockin' place to be.

Great question, Luise! Thanks for asking it, and thanks for being here to check us out.

KD Sandi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 25
Mirl56 wrote
on May 24, 2008 5:00 AM

I don't think there can ever be too many forums!  I pop around all the time between Knitting help, knitters review, ralvery and a few others, too.   Now I'll add IK to the mix.  Yes

Cool Marilyn

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on May 24, 2008 5:35 AM

I agree, its so nice to meet the wealth of expertise amongst all the knitters out there. All the different forums attract their own members. I am a member of Ravelry, two textile groups, one knitting group on Yahoo, visit Knitty often, have joined one knitting group which meets once a month locally, and still plan to form another even closer to home.

I'm hooked on meeting people and seeing whats out there. Isn't it great!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
JoezGal wrote
on May 24, 2008 6:59 AM

Couldn't have answered the question better myself. Trust me, I really couldn't. Stick out tongue 

When others speak ill of you, live so none will believe it.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Lorene wrote
on May 24, 2008 7:47 AM

Thanks for a great explanation, Sandi!

I'm on Ravelry too and while it is apparently loved by many, I really hope this forum doesn't get as huge as Rav. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Estelle@2 wrote
on May 24, 2008 3:31 PM

I don't see where it is Ravelry like..

Not Ranked
Posts 5
KristenP wrote
on May 24, 2008 4:50 PM

I could see how with the avatars and profiles, one could get a tiny impression however, I totally agree that Ravelry is an entirely different beast than this.  I know that I will probably regret joining this only because I already spend soooo much time on Ravelry, coupled with this it will be amazing if I ever get off my computer! Oh, wait a minute, knitting. I am still not skilled enough to type and knit at the same time. Drat!Hmm

Not Ranked
Posts 6
BJS wrote
on May 24, 2008 7:44 PM

I agree! The only reason I think I wouldn't want another forum is because it takes up my knitting time!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Webigail wrote
on May 27, 2008 10:34 AM

I agree with everyone else. If I frequent a site, it just seems natural that I would participate in any "discussions" that take place there. I too belong to ravelry, but it doesn't prevent me from belonging to a plethora of other forums, where I actually run into members from other boards.

IMO, there's room for every one :)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS