THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
PatsyH@8 wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 8:26 PM
I love the look of your bind off ArtfulSoul. I have been knitting for 56 years and I have always done the traditional step bind off. Your slopped bind off looks so much neater that I am going to try it next time. I already looked it up and discovered how it is done. it makes so much sense to me. Thanks for putting it out there. You are doing a beautiful job. Patsy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
JulieK@3 wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 9:13 PM

I'm going to do a sloped bind-off, too - of course, I'm still more than an inch away from even starting that step. You guys knit way fast!

Julie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 10:28 PM

MDF:
I would like to cover up my ampleness also-but need the specific instructions on how to do so. 

Hi Diane,

For myself, I need about two extra inches across the front.  I am going to add 5 extra stitches (one inch)  to each side of the front.  I know that when I knit the "shoulder" it needs to measure the same as the back shoulder.  So what I propose to do for myself is modify the pattern instructions a little.  On the front sections, when you get to the armhole shaping, it says to BO 5 stitches (or one inch if you have made gauge.)  Work one row even, then BO 3 sts at the beginning of the next WS row.....decrease 1 st at armhole edge every other row.  For this last part  I would decrease 1 stitch at armhole edge every row  until 50 stitches remained.  I know that this would seem to be a little more steeply slanted for shaping but I figure at the bottom of the armhole it won't show.  Hope this helps.  I too am making this in the largest size.

Zoe

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 7:06 AM

millswis:

The calming effects of Knitting.

Friday, I was sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. Suddenly, my plane that was suppose to leave at 4:10pm was pushed back to 5:05pm. You could hear the groans from others. I walked up to the desk to inquire about the reason for the delay. I was told the plane had not left the other terminal. What can you do? Actually, nothing. Unless it is an emergency, you will be sitting. So, I pulled out my pattern, the minimalist cardi and started knitting. Yes, others went up to argue with the desk clerk, I stayed in my seat and continue to knit and count my rows. By time, I had left the Provident Rhode Island airport, my back measured 9-1/2 inches and I was completed relaxed.

Uneventful flight, most the back completed and a relaxing person on the plane. This is the calming effect of knitting. Love it.

Sharon

What a great story Sharon!  Thanks for sharing. Yes

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 7:09 AM

ArtfulSoul:

Back finished, and oh, another darn-it!  I bought my yarn in a bag of 10, all with same dye lot. But there is a big old stripe in the middle where one is lighter.  However, everything measures up just as I'd hoped (doing 2 sizes smaller with 16 gauge, as explained in previous posts)!

Also, I did sloped bind off for armhole and shoulder shaping. I like that so much, I don't know why it isn't a standard? Maybe someone knows why the "stair-step" is commonly used?

Artfulsoul, I wouldn't have even noticed the lighter part if you hadn't pointed it out.  It really isn't that obvious, at least in the pick.  

I love your sloped bind off!  I've never done that and will have to look it up unless you want to post directions.  I'm still on the ribbing so I'm a long way off  from the arm holes right now.  

I can't believe how fast some of you ladies are knitting!  I think I belong in a remedial KAL. LOL

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 8:17 AM

PatsyH@8:
My back is done also. I am going to try to do both front sections at the same time with two balls of yarn. I hope I don't get too tangled. Patsy

PatsyH:

Let me know how that works out doing both fronts, I was a little hesitant about tangle and confusing my pattern.

Judy160

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Stasy wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 8:19 AM

It's reassuring to hear that others have had to rip out some rows also.  I was going merrily along and had just passed the decreases for the armholes and done about two more inches when I noticed something didn't look quite right.  Since it was late at night I tried to ignore it.  I guess I hoped it would fix itself by morning but it didn't so I had to rip back to the decreases.  Now I'm back on track and will probably finish the back on schedule.  I'm kind of amazed as I thought the moss stitch would be really tedious but it isn't.  I love the way it is looking.  I'm using Bamboucle which is a bamboo, linen, silk, cotton blend. (I think I have the right components.) I like the way it looks so far.

Jan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 315
sjc wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 8:30 AM

Beehiveof8:

I can't believe how fast some of you ladies are knitting!  I think I belong in a remedial KAL. LOL

Some people have more time and some are faster knitters.  Don't worry, you'll do just fine.  Just think of it this way...the faster knitters get to figure out the quirks of the pattern before you get there.  And look at all the helpful hints you've gleaned just following the posts.  I'm sure your Mini Cardi will look great!

Sherry

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
AnnP@6 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 8:37 AM

I've never heard of the slopped bind off.   I really like the look of it.   I read on how to do it and it doesn't seem to difficult.

Annie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
sewrome wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 8:58 AM

Question from a newbie ... When the pattern states to end with a W row ... does that mean that your next ro will be a R row? or a W row...  Confused

SewRome

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SusanV wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 9:00 AM

Ok for the right panel what I decided to do was cast on, rib all the way across for two rows and THEN start the stockinette/moss pattern. I think it looks fine and it DOESN'T roll. I'm keeping the side edge roll, because I like that softer look (rolled in) but this is for the BOTTOM edge where I didn't like that roll in the stockinette section. Thanks everyone!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
KathyAF wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 9:01 AM

I always do the two fronts at the same time if I can - same with the sleeves!   If I don't, I know that after I've done one, I usually get that "I just can't do the same thing again" feeling, put it aside and there it sits for a month or so until it feels like new again.  Good luck!

judy@160:

PatsyH@8:
My back is done also. I am going to try to do both front sections at the same time with two balls of yarn. I hope I don't get too tangled. Patsy

PatsyH:

Let me know how that works out doing both fronts, I was a little hesitant about tangle and confusing my pattern.

Judy160

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 9:36 AM

sewrome:

Question from a newbie ... When the pattern states to end with a W row ... does that mean that your next ro will be a R row? or a W row...  Confused

Great question!  I remember learning to read my first pattern and concerned about that too!

It means...You have just finished knitting the WS row, ready to start the RS row.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 9:46 AM

So, my exploration of the front edge continued last night.

I tried slipping 3 stitches on WS.  But that didn't really accomplish anything, so ripped it.

I then did a fancy kind of 3-stitch edging, posted earlier, but that also did not accomplish what I wanted, so ripped it.

I am now 10 inches into Right Front, and am doing the following with 4 front edge stitches:

RS: Sl 1 purlwise wyif, K1, Sl 1 purlwise wyif, P1...then continue on with Stockinette band

WS: K2, Sl 1 purlwise wyif, K1

On the Left Front, my instructions will be on the first 4 stitches:

RS: P1, Sl 1 purlwise wyif, K1, Sl 1 purlwise wyif

WS: K1, Sl 1 purlwise wyif, K2...then continue on with stockinette band

You can see that it gives me a finished edge with a bit of substance. The band is curling just a little bit less.  However, I think as someone else has done, a ribbing across the entire bottom is the best start to keep it from happening (I'm not doing it though).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
DebbieC@62 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 9:47 AM

SusanV:
Ok for the right panel what I decided to do was cast on, rib all the way across for two rows and THEN start the stockinette/moss pattern. I think it looks fine and it DOESN'T roll.

So, if I understand right, you only did the ribbing all the way across for 2 rows, but you are doing the ribbing for the full 1 1/2" on the part that is not the stockinette part?  Or did you only do 2 rows of ribbing period? 

I had a frogging experience last night, and I would prefer to avoid it in the future.  I am about four inches up from the ribbing, so I'm going pretty slow too. 

Page 28 of 52 (777 items) « First ...  < Previous  26 27 28 29 30  Next >  ... Last » | RSS