Random act of kindness

This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 1:20 PM

hi zassz,

i never mind being the recipient of happy emails with pics included! you know how life is, sometimes we have good days, sometimes we have not so good days. its nice to share in the joy and happiness of others. and i did notice your avitar has changed! quite proud of your technical skills. haha! and yes, i still consider my puppies to be babies. they are such a happy breed. very intelligent compared to our golden retreivers. very easy to teach them commands and tricks. and they are so loving and cuddly also. we're so happy with our decision. kind of gloomy here today. the clouds are actually a welcome sight after all the days of hot sun. hoping for rain tonight, but we shall see what happens. i dragged all my deck cushions outside today just to help the rain along. you know how that works......

i'm starting to think about christmas gifts. susan's post about her felted hats and clogs got me thinking. and i'm thinking mittens this year. i printed out the patterns by mags kandis. i may actually check for a book from her. her designs are different and fun. i always make things for my daughter and the son's gf's, but the sons never get anything because they are too tall (6' 4 and 6' 9!). mittens for all might just do the trick. but of course the boys won't get ones with flowers and french knots. haha!

happy knitting and enjoy those flowers. and thanks for sharing!!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 13, 2010 5:36 PM

Hi Yogama,

It's been awhile since I have been over here.  I was just re-reading these posts and it made me start thinking again only with application to how we can help out by doing random acts of kindness to our little furry or feathered friends.  Like birds, dogs, cats that need so much more help in the wintertime to be kept warm and fed.  Sadly, some are neglected.  That is reality.  I wish more people could be aware of how little it takes to give a helping hand.  Our pets give us so much more than we realize.  It is my sincere desire that people would be more caring, not giving them away like their feelings don't count.  They sense our moods without our even speaking a word.  They are there to comfort us through thick and thin.  Please take them into consideration, take them for a walk.  Don't leave them chained up EVER.  Give them clean water and fresh food each day and bathe them, brush their coats.   If anyone can take an animal out of shelter, and give it a loving new home, you will have done one of the most unselfish, kindest  things you could dream of doing.  Just think, they had a home at one time past, what happened to it we do not know, but they do not know either.     

Some people have been able to devote themselves to helping animals by fostering them for a time. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Vickie N wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 4:27 PM

I was the recipient of a random act of kindness the other day.

I was shopping for a Christmas gift for my brother.  He had given me a ‘detailed’ list of tools he needed to do work on his car.  Unfortunately, the ‘details’ meant nothing to me!   

I went to Sears and asked the sales staff for help, and they could only help me find the right section of the store – my brother wanted a socket set and it turns out there was a whole wall of different types of socket sets.  A random stranger overheard me talking to the sales person and said he was a mechanic and asked what kind of car was my brother fixing?  ‘A Camaro’ I said. 

He took two sets of sockets off the wall of tools and said ‘these are for the brakes and these are for the drive shaft’.

All I had to do was figure out what worked with my budget.  After seeing those prices, no mechanic can ever complain about what knitters spend on yarn and needles…

Vickie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 5:53 PM

thanks for sharing that story vickie!

there are still so many nice people out there!! and too funny about the price of yarn, but you are so right!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 2, 2011 7:01 PM

Hi Vickie N,

Thanks for writing.  Being in the right place at the right time! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
muyenp wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 2:51 AM

you are so spot on! even the smallest gestures of kindness can really make someone's day

Not Ranked
Posts 5
IQuantum wrote
on May 6, 2011 3:37 AM

Yes.

run an errand, said thank you, just smiled at someone, get started on a new project, finish an old project and  help someone with their work.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Sep 27, 2011 11:23 PM

They say if you want to receive some act of kindness you have also to give one. Although sometimes, it might seem a little unfair when you have done good deeds to other people and they don't appreciate what you have done, it's kinda hurting. I have tried to apply it to my jealous boyfriend. Because I know he would get upset on little things the most, instead of arguing about his negative attitude, I tried to be understanding and I avoid fights. He was surprised with my reaction. And because of that, he tried to hold his compulsion because he realized it was unfair to me for him to be acting this way.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 22, 2011 4:49 PM

ZassZ:

Hi Yogama,

It's been awhile since I have been over here.  I was just re-reading these posts and it made me start thinking again only with application to how we can help out by doing random acts of kindness to our little furry or feathered friends.  Like birds, dogs, cats that need so much more help in the wintertime to be kept warm and fed.  Sadly, some are neglected.  That is reality.  I wish more people could be aware of how little it takes to give a helping hand.  Our pets give us so much more than we realize.  It is my sincere desire that people would be more caring, not giving them away like their feelings don't count.  They sense our moods without our even speaking a word.  They are there to comfort us through thick and thin.  Please take them into consideration, take them for a walk.  Don't leave them chained up EVER.  Give them clean water and fresh food each day and bathe them, brush their coats.   If anyone can take an animal out of shelter, and give it a loving new home, you will have done one of the most unselfish, kindest  things you could dream of doing.  Just think, they had a home at one time past, what happened to it we do not know, but they do not know either.     

Some people have been able to devote themselves to helping animals by fostering them for a time. 

Hi Sharon, Yes good idea, I will be making and donating some cowls for the dogs in shelters.  It will help them a little.  What will help them more is getting adopted into a nice family.  Even one person + a dog can be a "family".  So think about all the $$ people spend on stuff that sits on shelves all year hardly to be given another thought.  Instead what a small portion of that $ could do to help a poor neglected animal will repay a person thousands of time over what is initially spent and you will have a living, breathing, companion.  I wonder if there is any lasting solution to the problem of abandoned animals. If people open their hearts and spend $$ on some animal, maybe instead of just more "things" and if they could be responsible pet owners, then that is a start in the right direction.   Also it is  not necessary to spend thousands or hundreds of dollars for pets in the pet shops of the world.  Just go to a shelter and adopt one for a fraction of the cost.  They will love you no matter without the pedigree

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 2, 2013 9:16 PM

HI Everyone,

It's over a year since been back here.  There have probably been lots of kind deeds in the meantime.  I had one good one just last Friday. 

While walking my little dachshund (adopted from shelter) we came across a little dog at the curb on a busy street.  He was about to step off the curb, when I was able to use my dog to distract him and get him to follow us back to a safe place on the sidewalk.  While I looked around for any sign of an owner, I spotted a screen door of a nearby home wide open.  We coaxed the little lost guy to follow us up the driveway.  By the time I got to the door he turned and was bolting back to the curb.  By now I was on the porch yelling Hello anyone home?  Just then the owner came out and I quickly pointed out his pet bounding down the driveway toward the street.  He ran to him just then a car coming thru the intersection about to hit the little pup.  The owner held both his arms up in the air and shouting, "STOP! ! !"  Driver slammed on brakes and really with about 2 inches from contact with wheels.  The man scooped up his pup and returned to thank me. He was trembling when he said to me, "Thank you, you saved my dog's life."  I can't thank you enough.  He was really shook up.  It was a happy ending and I told him that had I just decided at the last minute to go in that direction on my walk.  I was so glad I did, otherwise, I know that dog would have probably lost his life. 

One of my most favorite things to do is to help a defenseless animal.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 5:29 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Thanks God you were there to help the poor dog and his owner!!

Dogs have the problem they like wandering everywhere and if any member of the family forgets about closing the door, or the gate when they get inside with their car to the garage, they get lost. They suffer a lot. The worst is when they are put to sleep by the authorities if the owner does not show up to rescue them.

I love what you've done!!

Congratulations!!!  StarStarStarStarStar

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 20, 2013 8:51 PM

Just listening to the news feed re the horrific class F5 tornado in Moore, Ok.  Saying that the only way to have survived is to be underground basically.  Estimated one mile wide path, as it moved across Interstate 35.  This latest tornado left massive destruction in its path.  Hopefully search and rescue will find many more survivors as they continue searching overnite.  Surely there will be hundreds of opportunities to show kindness and compassion to the survivors there as the photos coming in look like a war zone.  Especially since several grade schools have been leveled to the ground with children and staff inside the buildings. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
quain wrote
on May 20, 2013 9:51 PM

i always great people and give food to anyone :) also i always cook for my fiance 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Jun 19, 2013 5:56 PM

HiYogama,

I so know what you mean about your puppies.

I was never a dog person, actually terrified by them as I got bitten as a child, but my son was desperate for a companion and we gave in to rescuing a dog from death row. 

She's been amazing little addition to our family and just given so much love, not to mention how much she gives to anyone that comes to contact with her on our walks.

A woman who lived in a nursing home was brought to tears the other day as she patted her, recalling her dog which she was not allowed to take to the nursing home with her. She took such joy in patting our little dog and we talked for a while, she was truly a lovely stranger.

I'll never forget another  lovely moment when on our walk. We saw a young girl with autism who wandered away from her respite home and was being difficult for her carers by plonking herself on the ground and wouldn't move.  My dog went up to her and kept nudging her in the arm, with the biggest smile she miraculously managed to coax this little girl off the ground and we all happily walked to the respite home together. The carer couldn't stop thanking me as she couldn't budge this stubborn little girl and the whole situation was quite concerning and difficult for her for several minutes and she felt helpless as to what to do next. She was so grateful we walked by when we did.

Talk about act of kindness!  I wonder why this little creature has the heart in the body of a dog sometimes.  She is kinder and more respectful than some humans and I must say the power of love and kindness can so go such a long way.........I've been blessed by it.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS