Random act of kindness

This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 6:06 PM

has anyone done a random act of kindness lately - or - been on the receiving end of one?  What have you done, or if you have not, what would you like to do, given the chance?  Sometimes, just thinking about it is the first step to getting it done. 

Has anyone helped someone:

1.   get started on a new project, or finish an old project (like maybe the more difficult part of a pattern you    need help with),

2.   help pick out a yarn, or figure out a pattern,

3.   or just smiled at someone,

4.   opened a door,

5.   said thank you,

6.   give a break in traffic,

7.   make a phone call to someone ill or missed by you,

8.   take some cookies to a neighbor, or visit someone who just lost a loved one recently,

9.    help someone with their homework, wash a car

10.  run an errand, take out the trash, some lawn work, walk the dog, feed the dog, bathe the dog. 

Once you start thinking about it the list goes on & on. 

Anybody care to add to this?  Jot down what you did for someone or what someone did for you, or what you would like someone to do for you to help you out.  Just pick up where the last person left off.  Time

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 6:45 PM

I shared a diet coke with an old friend whom I hadn't seen in years.  (I had moved away from this little town 20 years ago and moved back last summer).   We shared a hug, chatted about the kids and grandkids. We call each other weekly now...................Zoe Ideamakes my day brighter! hers too!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 6:47 PM

Its the year of the Tiger.  I plan on crocheting little tigers and sending them out to my son, his girlfriend, and my sister's grandchild who was born Feb. 14/10. ...............Zoe

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 6:51 PM

Actually, I have done a couple of things: 

Someone knew that I had a magazine with a specific pattern in it, asked if I could send it to them, and I did.  It was late in the evening and I was tired but I did it right then and there instead of waiting until in the morning.

My mother asked me to check on a loved one in the hospital and I did.  He's doing well and I want to go and see him tomorrow.  I was just thinking of something that he would like so that I could take it to him or do something for him and I can't think of anything he would like.   I'd better call my mom and ask what she thinks. 

Thanks for asking.  I hope this is a good topic that will make a lot of people think of others.

Big Smile

KELLEIGH~~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 7:00 PM

Kelleigh, 

Thanks for "answering", these were great.

Kelleigh:

Thanks for asking.  I hope this is a good topic that will make a lot of people think of others.

Big Smile

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 7:15 PM

Zoe,

Thank you - I agree whenever we can do a little something for someone else we receive benefits as well!

Zoe:

Ideamakes my day brighter! hers too!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 24, 2010 2:23 PM

Hi all...

What a nice idea for a thread!!!

If I'm in town + see a stranger who looks especially nice, or has a nice scarf/ sweater/ etc...I always try to tell them so. They usually look very surprised, then very happy. Then I say that since we are so quick to say negative things in this world...I try to make a point of commenting on positive stuff I see. They are smiling + I walk away smiling. Hopefully they will pass it on too.

Take care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 9:56 PM

Hi Andrea, 

I was just re-reading these and see if anyone has lately had an experience they would like to add.  I like to hear how others find ways to perk someone up.  I think it gives us a lift also when we read about them. 

AndreaW:

Hi all...

What a nice idea for a thread!!!

Take care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 9:14 AM

hi all,

i was just checking some topics and came across this one. i missed it the first time around, prob because i did not know about kd back in march. what a difference it has been in my life. i do not have any friends that knit, which is so sad. i encourage people all the time to try. i bring my knitting with me everywhere and it does start conversations. now i have to friends that want to try. one i am going away with over labor day weekend. with our hubbies. she has asked me to pick out something simple for her to try. yeah! i am so excited about this. so, any suggestions other than a scarf? but we all do need to start somewhere and she has never even held needles before, so that makes it tough. i am so, so thankful that my mom had the patience to teach me how to sew and embroider and cook and bake. my grandma taught me to knit and i figured out counted cross stitch and smocking on my own. once we have the basic needle arts down, we can try just about anything with confidence.

as far as doing something nice, i am always letting people in front of me when driving, opening doors for those that need a hand - or not. it is amazing what happens when you smile and are pleasant and do kind things. it grows and blossoms and spreads. such a nice place the world would be if we could all do that?

have a nice day,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 12:19 PM

Hi

I like that approach.  I agree, if individually we take initiative, no telling what it could do to improve someone's state of mind.  I try to make eye contact with people with a smile.  If they return it, you get the warm fuzzy feeling back.  If it's not returned, (you never know what they may be going thru at the moment) they may think about it later and the next time someone smiles at them they may just return it at the very least .  Some people just don't care to interact at all and that is a sad thing. 

Yogama,  I saw on the news this morning, a picture a girl sent in with her and her two little terriers that looked exactly like yours in your picture here.  She was holding them one in each yarn, did I say yarn?  I meant to type "arm".    They were so cute! 

TTYSoon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 9:57 PM

Hi Yogama, Andrea, Zoe & All, 

Speaking of acts of KINDNESS, a dear friend sent these to us.  You can't imagine how wonderful this made us feel.  I wanted to share a picture of these gorgeous blooms with everyone.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 9:16 AM

zassz those orchids are gorgeous. and how nice to receive them from a friend! i bet you just had a silly, happy grin on your face all day long.

enjoy!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 9:20 AM

hi again zassz,

you are so right when you say that we never know what others are going through on any given day. some are happy, sad, grieving, ill or just plain unhappy people. if our smiles and pleasant hellos can cheer another, that is a good thing. if not, well those sad souls are not having a good time of it anyway.

my puppies are so cute and add such joy to our lives. nothing better than being greeted by puppy wiggles and nose kissies. they are over a year now, so i guess i shouldn't call them puppies anymore, but we still do. they make us smile and that is always a good thing.

have a happy day!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 12:49 PM

Yogama,

Thanks for writing.  Actually when they were delivered, I had tears welling up in my eyes.  I was just overwhelmed by their beauty.  We are truly getting such joy.  I want to keep them alive.  I am calling the florist to ask when and how much watering.  I hope you don't mind, but I just had to share one more pic with you.    Then I am going to read your other posts. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 1:00 PM

hia again yogama,

I didn't see this til after I posted re the orchid.  I think your puppies are still like babies and pretty soon they will be little teenagers running around!  So cute.  Our little dachshund will soon be 4 and he is the sweetest little boy.  We have always loved and taken good care of our little friends, I wish they could stay with us forever.  Oh yes, I am walking around with smiles all day.  I hope you do too.  Have a beautiful weekend and talk soon.  Big Smile  

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS