SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 19, 2010 9:48 PM

Hi Zoe (+ anyone else who'de like to talk socks!!!!)....

I actually just finished my latest pr...last nite. They were the "Hourglass Rib Socks" designed by Chrissy Gardiner. The patt is in the book "knitted gifts" by her...however my patt came from Holiday 2009 IK Gifts magazine where they were excerpted. I have to admit that like most patts I  "tweaked" it a bit to suit what I wanted.  Different yarn/ needle/ mix 'n match #'s/ etc.  All good...I'm happy with the finished socks. They are intended for a gift to a good friend so hope she's happy too!!!

The pr before these were "Zebedee Socks" by Violet Green. Tweaked a bit...added top ribbing/ changed toe + they were actually fr the same yarn as the last ones. I am so ready for a new set of colors!!!  They reminded me a lot of Jaywalkers.

Next I have to make a childs hat (another gift) but then back to socks. The "really want to make next"  sock list (for today) ...in order is:

Nutkinhttp://knitzi.com/   it's a free patt . There are other nice patts too/ both free + $

Escher :  fr Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn    book by Carol Sulcoski

Conwy: fr Knitting on the Road     book by Nancy Bush

The list could change tomorrow...frequently does....so many patterns/ so much yarn....sooooo little time!!!

I just went to look for the link for the Zebedee socks in case anyone was interested. I didn't see that patt there anymore...but there are others. I just printed off 2 more....just what I need!!!  I was intrigued by "Olive Branch Socks" + Waterfall Socks. I've never done slip st knitting except for a swatch so the 2nd pr appealed partly for that reason.  The site is:

http://www.violetgreen.co.uk/    patts both free + $ as well as some very pretty yarn

If anyone wants to share what socks they're making...please do!!!

Take  Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 20, 2010 9:11 AM

Hi Andrea and all other 'sockers',

I have a pair of socks on my needles, just basic stocking stitich.  They are red, blue heels and toes.  I have 5 rounds of blue left to do on the second sock and then they are finished.  I have just made them ankle socks.  Now the unfortunate part is last summer I moved from London, Ontario up to Northwestern Ontario.  These socks are no where to be found as of yet.  They are hiding out in a box that I haven't unpacked yet.  Woeeeee is me, the sock pattern book is with them!  I have marked this pattern all up because it is my favorite sock pattern.  And like all knitters, I tweeked the pattern as well.

I am going to check out your posted sites for those sock patterns as well.   Do you do the socks on four dpn's or on circular needles?  I have never tried using the two circular needle sock yet.  For now I had best get on with the Mini Cardi KAL.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 20, 2010 9:32 AM

Hi Andrea,

This will give you a chuckle.  Zebedee is wearing white socks.   http://www.st-maryshorserefuge.co.uk/cgi-bin/Zebedee.pl

The socks patterns are very nice.  I downloaded the HunkaMunka sock pattern.  I have oodles of yarns to use up and make little projects with.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 20, 2010 5:31 PM

Hi Zoe...

I did check out Zebedee...he's beautiful...socks + all !!!    First time, other than the sock patt, that I'de seen the name.  Are you a" horse person"?  I don't know a great deal about them...lack of opportunity as much as anything...but think they are amazing creatures.

Glad you found a patt you liked. Since you mentioned that one specifically...I went back to take a closer look. Orig I admit I passed it over, only noticing the striped pr. Since I already have a baby striped patt....didn't bother. This trip I looked @ the larger image + then printed the patt. I love cables + lace both. They would all make good "traveling" projects as well as being a good way to use up odds 'n ends.  Great gifts to have on hand too.

In the book Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn...one of the patts is good for using up bits. Staccato Socks (p 41) uses 1 - 50 g ball as a MC to do the heels/ toes/ top rib. Then it uses 3 other colors ... 55m each only...in a sort of wavy striped patt. The socks actually look as though made w/ only 2 variegated yarns. The striping mixes up the colors quite well. They are toe-up....NOT my favorite...but probably not hard to flip. Quite a few nice patts in that book w/ or w/o using handpainted yarn. I often check @ the library 1st to see if I'de like a book enough to buy it. We live in a small town here so limited choice @ the bookstore. The library is great to bring books in for me.  I did end up buying it though.

After yrs of making socks to sell on a knitting machine...I have LOTS of odds 'n ends!!!  After reading about "spit splicing" I decided to try it on a pr of socks. I had plenty (wt wise) of Kroy Winter Eclipse color for one pr...but in little bits. Since that colorway creates a patt...hard to use the bits except for heels + toes perhaps. I settled on Jaywalkers (hand knit) as a patt thinking that the zig zag stitch patt would break up the color patt. It worked beautifully. Almost 2 yrs later they are one of my favorite prs. Have since tried the spit splicing for machine knitting too...also good. The spit splicing is a bit painful sometimes w/ my Fibromyalgia though. Wondering if I could somehow use the needles used for needlefelting?

I knit with 5 dpns pref...4 if that's all I have. I've never tried the magic loop. I do love circulars for anything else. Never use straights unless it's as a blocking wire!!!  I even have one old 28cm/ 11" circ that was my grandmother's.  It's a 3.75 mm though. I have looked around a bit for 8" circs to try socks on. So far: would need to be ordered + @ approx $20 not in my my budget for something to just try. I noticed on another thread tonite that we share the same knitting style. Continental...+ use both for Fair Isle!!!   I agree w/ what you told her about Fibromyalgia + circulars too. Your suggestion of swopping off on two projects made me think. I don't like having 2 @ once unless 1 is too big to travel. But I will try that sometime the pain is too bad. Usually knitting just relaxes + helps me...luckily. The machine is another matter...very physical. Often go for long spells unable to use it.

Hope you got your socks finished up?  Which ones next?  Maybe the location of your missing socks + knitting book will suddenly be remembered. It''s funny how we get so attached + dependant on our little collection of tweaking scribbles. No one else would ever understand mine!!!  When I write out patts I design ...I do try to make them legible to others just in case...

Must go deal w/ this migraine...

Take Care .... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharleneM wrote
on Mar 22, 2010 7:51 PM

Hi all,

I am a beginner on socks, but really anxious to learn to make them.  Do any of you experts have any good suggestions for me.  So far my first sock is on the needles and it's looking like of ragged.  Any help would be appreciated.  I think handknit socks are absoutely to die for.

Sharlene

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 22, 2010 9:56 PM

Hi Sharlene....

I'll be very happy to give you any help I can. May I ask if you are a beginner @ knitting too...or just socks?  Might help me to help you if I have a better idea of "where you are" + what things you are comfortable doing.

Can you share what patt + yarn/ needle sz  you are using?  If I happen to have access to the same patt....sometimes it might help if you get "stuck".

You say your sock is looking "ragged". Do you mean everything about it, or something specific like maybe "ladders" between the needles? Are you using dpns or circulars? I always use dpns....but that doesn't really make much difference.....I know the method w/ circs.

I so agree w/ you about handknit socks!!!  Between ones I've handknit + some I've made on my knitting machine...my husband + I don't wear anything BUT my socks. We're spoiled I guess!!!  I hate the ridges in store bought socks. Also love having "cool" socks to wear w/ my clogs. And they're warmer + more comfortable.

If I'm slow answering sometimes....forgive me please. I'm not always feeling the greatest....but always love to help another knitter!!!!

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 22, 2010 11:10 PM

Hi Andrea,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I think a sock thread on KD is a great thing.  There are a lot of people who don't knit large projects (ie. sweaters) because of fibermyalgia and other aches and pains.  Sometimes a large project does get boring too.  I have never knit socks with patterns in them such as lace. I thought I could start with the little HunkaMunka socks that have a lace pattern. (I need to concentrate on my Mini Cardi KAL first .)   I hope you would give me a few pointers on that as well.  Because of my skin issues. the only socks I usually ever wear are white cottons with some acrylic type of fiber in them.  I don't know why I started to knit red socks with blue heels n toes as they are likely to irritate me.  But I thought they looked cute.  (Now if I could only find them and my sock book!)

I don't know a lot about horses except I did go riding with a young peoples' group after I had graduated from school.  The horse that I always rode was an old nag that couldn't go very fast!  I didn't want a horse that could walk faster than I could.

I have very full days.  My husband is on home hemodialysis and since he isn't able to line his machine or look after the necessary things about his dialysis, I have to do this for him.  I don't mind doing this but it is time consuming.  He dialyzes 3 times a week, four hours at a time.  It takes one hour to set up the machine, and one hour to take it down. 

Like you, I do get migraines too.  They are not fun things to put up with at all.

I looked at my Mini Cardi again today and discovered that I had counted stitching the K P K P wrong a few inches back in one place.  Is it wrong of me to have no desire to frog it back to that place and reknit?  The pattern doesn't look off, but I know its there.  If they were socks I wouldn't hesitate at all to frog it.

On another thread you had mentioned that you weren't sure how to use the "quote" button.  When you would like to reply to a specific person, click on the reply button on their post.  When it pops up to the page for you to write the reply on, highlight with your mouse button across the words you want to quote.  Then click on the "quote" button at the bottom of their post.  The quote will appear in your reply box.  (Just as a note to you, I completely agree with you about censorship and didn't feel a need to reply to the other postings on the subject.)

Hi Sharlene,

Socks should never make a person nervous about knitting them.  If your socks look ragged because of the "holes" where you change needles, a wash of the socks will remove them.  Another way to remove these holes as you knit, before starting on the next needle, give your last stitch a little tug.  As you get comfortable knitting socks on the dpns, these will all disappear with time and practice. 

Which way do you knit?  continental or English?  just for my curiousity.

Happy feet like knitted socks,  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 23, 2010 6:04 AM

I like knitting socks because it is a small, portable project that is quick to finish. I also really like wearing hand knit socks. Knitting socks is never boring because of the self striping yarns and because there are so many different steps-ribbing, stockinette, heel flap, heel turn, gusset, more stockinette, toe decrease and then kirschner stitch to close the toe.

I am dyslexic so knitting both socks at once on a long needle in the magic loop method is impossible for me. I always turn the wrong way. Reading instructions is almost impossible.

Youtube was the answer! I found Kelly's Sock class. She has separate mini videos for each of the steps in making a sock. I could play and replay each video as I got to that step and until I understood what I needed to do. I use the sock yarn with 60 stitches, size 1 needles and I use 5 needles, while Kelly uses 4. I like five needles because I can have 15 stitches on each needle, neatly dividing the front and back of the sock with 15 stitches per needle. This is important when you get to heel flap, etc.

Try Youtube if you are a beginning sock knitter. They have socks with big yarn, skinny yarn, etc. Kelly has classes for all of it.

Jean Ann

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 9:40 AM

Hi Jean Ann,

I am dyslexic too and I often find I need to go back and chart the pattern out for myself and then check off each row as I do it.  It may sound a little more complicated to others but it is one way that I found works for me.  I have a pad of graph paper that I use and keep in my knitting box.

I too love the socks knitted on the dpns.  I only use 4 and have never tried 5.  I want to try Elizabeth Zimmermann's sock pattern because when you get to the heel turn, everything is done in half the stitches.  If you cast on 40, you heel flap with 20, and do the sides with 10.  My Mom uses her pattern all the time and I think this is how she explained it to me.  Very simple to keep my numbers straight.

I am going to look for Kelly's Sock on the youtube.  In case I can't find it, could you post the site?  Thanks in advance.  Because of my dyslexia, I have never tried any lace patterns in any knitting.  It looks too complicated for me.  Have you done any?

Sock on, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 9:45 AM

http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/Kelleys_Sock_Class__L10040501.html

Found Kelly's sock class web site from Knit Picks!  I am going to devote my evening to these tutorials.  One can never watch too many learning videos about knitting.  I knit both ways, so her video will make sense no matter how she knits for the demo.  I have bookmarked the site.

Thanks Jean Ann.

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharleneM wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 4:13 PM

Thanks for your response, Andrea.  I am probably an intermediate knitter.  Do lots of afghans, prayer shawls, did a bunch of hats to be donated to an Indian reservation last winter and those were done on circular needles.  I am using double point needles; the pattern calls for a worsted yarn and size 3 needles.  That is definitely heavier than I want my socks to be but I thought for a start it would work.  What I mean by ragged is that my stitches do not look nice and even like they usually do.  So far holding the four needles and working with the fifth is very awkward.   Perhaps it's just practice with the needles, but I'd welcome any tips or suggestions.

Sharlene

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 5:55 PM

Hi Sharlene...

Wow, so many nice posts about socks today. I have to admit I spent most of the day sleeping, so late joining in. I'll work backwards to answer.

I think that making a first pr of socks w/ worsted wt yarn is a good idea. Less work overall + less "fiddly" while learning. You said you made hats w/ circs. Did you do the top dec's w/ dpns or were you using magic loop/ 2 circs?  I use dpns for that.  I was just thinking that if you haven't worked w/ dpns before..it's no wonder they feel awkward + your sts may look less than perfect. Even when we try a new unusual textured yarn for eg...our knitting appearance may suffer while we "re-learn". I know the appearance of my knitting is better w/ some yarns than others. Luckily, washing tends to smooth out a lot of issues!!!

Another possibility might be that your gauge isn't perfect for that particular yarn? Not saying that is the problem...I can't see your knitting. Just offering any possibles I can think of.  If you are using the same yarn wt/ needles called for in the patt + getting the called for gauge...probably not the problem.  I have seen someone try to make an item designed for a chunky yarn...w/ ww yarn. Their sts were very raggedy.  They said, "but I got gauge". Not taking in to account that the swatch/ item has to feel/ look right as well as match for sts/ rows.

Frequently, making items like afghans + prayer shawls involves longer rows...more "straight" work. Even hats are bigger around than socks. Maybe the "stop-start" of going fr one needle to the next could be affecting your knitting. I suspect that it's probably just a matter of practice till it feels right!!!

I like using 5 dpns. Nice to be able to evenly divide the sts in 1/4's....then work around w/ the 5th. Seems to work out well w/ many sock patts that have some sort of st patt. ie: cables/ lace. The only advantage I've ever found w/ "divide on 3 N's" is that if you are having trouble w/ ladders...you can put all the top sts on one N. Then you won't have a ladder on top of the foot. I do find for me....there seems to be less strain/ fewer ladders @ the needle junctions when I use 5 dpns. The "whole mess" seems to be a bit floppier getting started w/ 5 N's...but once you have an inch or so...that starts to go away. You didn't say how far into the sock you are. If you're still near the beg...maybe this is contributing to your "raggedyness"???

Please ask any time you feel like some help...if I can...I will.

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 6:42 PM

Hi Jean Ann...

Always interesting to hear/ learn about knitting fr someone else's perspective!!!  What little I do know about dyslexia has always amazed me how people w/ it manage to work with it + around it. Sure we all have things to deal with...but having how you actually see something, be altered fr how others see it...must be really BIG!!!   I'de never thought of how it would affect someone knitting. Hearing you + Zoe talk about it has made me think.

For what it's worth...knitting 2 socks @ a time on one big needle would confuse me!!!  Every time I picked it up to knit, I'de have to sort it out...no thanks. Also the extra wt on the needles doesn't appeal. Several times I've run across a pattern for making 2 socks @ a time ....one inside the other!!! I know I'de end up knitting them together..... even one st crossed would mess it up.

Online videos are great for people that learn by watching. So much info out there on the internet!!!

Like you...I love the self striping yarns. They encourage you to knit "just a little bit more" so you can see the next color appear. Each pr of socks has it's own personality.

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 9:12 PM

Hi Zoe....

Last but certainly not least!!!  I think I just had more things to say to you + I'm going backwards tonite!!!!   Thank you so much for the "how-to" on doing quotes. I'll try it below. I'm pretty fluent in "knitting" but "computer" is an ongoing process. Always open to new tips!!!

I read a few pages of the Mini Cardi KAL last nite + will read all of them when I have a chance. I like that sweater, but I don't think the style would like me. There are about 4 sweater patts I have in mind to make for myself, as well as one 1/2 designed in my mind. This winter I lived in my Mr Greenjeans sweater I made fr the patt on Knitty: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTgreenjeans.html.  Since it was worked down fr the top....was really easy to tweak to fit me (long body). Orig I had made it last yr + somehow gotten the ribbing around the neck/ fronts too loose. Although I wore it....no one noticed...it kept bugging me. Over the Xmas holidays I finally made myself rip out + redo the ribbing. So glad I did. I never leave "hiccups" + when I do...always regret it. So I guess re your ??? about ripping:

Zoe:

I looked at my Mini Cardi again today and discovered that I had counted stitching the K P K P wrong a few inches back in one place.  Is it wrong of me to have no desire to frog it back to that place and reknit?  The pattern doesn't look off, but I know its there.  If they were socks I wouldn't hesitate at all to frog it.

yay...it worked!!!

So I guess my ??? to you is...will it bother you later???  If you are like me....better fix it now or regret it later!!!  if however you think it's something that you will just forget about...then leave it. Another option I frequently use is this: if the error is just a few rows down + you can access the st (s) directly above....get out your crochet hook. Drop down one st @ a time ...gently...till you reach the wrong one. Using the crochet hook you can then latch that st back up to the working row. If it is a patt st...you may have to alternately remove the crochet hook + switch fr front to back of the work. When you are latching up w/ the hook...you are creating a knit st. So if you need a purl st on the right side of your knitting ...you need to insert the hook fr the back for that row.  Sounds harder than it actually is. As long as you try it @ a quiet moment + don't pull hard at the loops...all's well. I've had to rip out a fix occasionally a 2nd time before it's right...but really doesn't take long. Wiggle the knitting a bit when all's OK + keep going. By now you may be saying..."didn't that woman read where I said I was dyslexic?" Please read what I said in the previous post about that!!!  Anyway...my description may not be great...maybe there is a video about it???  The process itself isn't really a big deal.

Sorry + interested to read about your husband. Makes the 3 wks I just spent w/ my husband's recovery fr pneumonia quite minor. I thought of you earlier this evening. Strange co-incidence, but on the news they had a brief story about the new hemodialysis machines for home use. They showed an older woman in the hospital hooked up to one....+ she was knitting!!!!  I wouldn't mind doing anything like that for my husband either...glad if I could do it...but certainly can see where you must plan all your life around that schedule. Isn't knitting wonderful to have in all situations!!!

I haven't seen EZ's sock patt that I remember. However the "1/2" method you're talking about makes sense. That's basically what I keep in mind when making socks w/o a patt or designing a new patt.  The heel cup I do try to make deeper though as I like that fit.

We also share a love of charts I see. I much prefer them for knitting or crochet. You can "see" what you need to make + what needs to line up. Maybe when you try lace you may be pleasantly surprised if you choose a st patt that is fairly simple to start + has a chart. Try it on a cotton cloth sometime. My solution to trying anything: a dishcloth. Errors don't matter + they're quick!!! I often test a st patt that way + keep the cloths as quick gifts if I don't need them. Those little socks are also a good idea. Then maybe a pr such as The Dublin Bay Socks. The patt doesn't have a chart but would be an easy one to graph. Basically any plain sock patt w/ a strip of lace down the side. I have this patt but haven't tried it. Saw the pics of the pr the Yarn Harlot had made + tracked down the patt (free).

http://www.nwkniterati.com/movabletype/archives/MossyCottage/DublinBay4.pdf

I often use sticky notes (post its) to mark my place on a chart or patt. Easy to move + can scribble notes on them.

As to the other thread....I only felt the need for a final response since I had "initiated" the "other side" of the conversation.  NOT the way I want to spend my days!!!  Life's too short!!!

I started my Nutkins socks. Have the top band (hem) done + 2 patt reps of 10 rnds each. Pretty + much easier patt than it looks!!!

I know there was something(?) else I had to add to this "book"...but time to quit.

Happy knitting + Take Care to all .... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharleneM wrote
on Mar 23, 2010 9:22 PM

Thanks, Andrea.  This is my first experience with dpns.  Once I master this, I may try socks with a circular needle since I enjoyed that.  I think the problem is just that the needles stil feel awkward.  I think I've got it, holding the needles forming a nice square and then I start on a new needle and they seem to be flopping all over the place.  I'm sure practice will help.  I'm not about to give up as I love the look of the many beautiful sock yarns out there and I'm determined to make my own.  I will definitely watch the sock lesson for help, too.

Thanks again. ---SharleneWink

Page 1 of 75 (1124 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS