SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on May 1, 2010 1:46 PM

Hi Zoe....

I really should be in town doing "stuff" but I have to take the time to answer you first. Didn't get a chance to last nite + I've been giggling ever since I read your last post. You would certainly have no way of knowing...but this is absolutely the funniest ??? ANYONE has ever asked me!!!

Zoe:
Andrea have you made a sock on a straight knitting machine?

My knitting machines are all "straight" ones. I got the first one (a Singer 360 + ribber) in 1985. I very quickly found how to make socks on it + away I went. My husband was very happy!!!  I'de been making him some by hand (long legs!!!).  Soon we all were wearing only my socks + friends/ family were always happy w/ my gifts!!!  I was doing craft shows away fr home @ the time so decided to take 3 pr mens socks along to try. My husband laughed @ me + said "you'll NEVER sell those there for what you're asking". I just smiled. They went poof off the table in no time w/ people saying "don't you have more???"  I ended up doing socks as my main thing, although I did also do sweaters/ skibands/ hats/ baby items/ etc. I started slowly to build up a reg customer base who looked for me there...I was "the sock lady".  Then on Dec 24th, 1992 I had a fall in a store. Tried to keep running my machines but had to give up.  We moved/ life kept moving along...in mid 2000 I decided to set up one machine + try again. If nothing else WE were desperate for socks...surely I could manage that much?!?!   Unfortunately I never kept track of #'s in the early days...but decided to for awhile when tried again. According to my scribbles back then;  from mid 2000 till the end of 2004 I made 640 pairs on the machine. So I guess the short answer is "yes, I have made a sock on a straight knitting machine" !!!!

I didn't bother keeping track after that...it was just for curiosity @ the time.  I do some now...but will probably never be able produce the way I did before. Unless I feel a lot better when we finally move away fr here!!! Sorry to tease you...just couldn't resist it was soooo funny!!!  I get the feeling you can laugh about stuff anyway...right???

I did read over this patt you provided the link to. She is working toe-up. I made mine top-down. She has 2 seams in her ribbing due to that...I only had one. You can't do ribbing in the round on a "straight" machine. You are using both beds to do knit-purl (zig-zag). When you finish the ribbing you transfer all the sts to the main bed, then take 1/2 the sts fr one side + hang them on the ribber bed. Then set up for circular knitting until the heel. It's done basically as the heel + toe are in the patt you had the link to. A short row heel. Back to circular knitting for the foot, then do the toe decs like a hand knit sock. Take off on WY. Graft toe sts by hand.  I find I need about 1 hr hand finishing /pr to do a perfect/ smooth finishing.  It is possible to do a very flat seam in the ribbing that is practically un-noticeable...you just have to "match" the right spots.  On the machine I use weights not pennies though...the pennies could be a big PAIN if you had to rip back....+ generally too fiddly!!!

Thanks for the link to the Yarn Harlot. I LOVE her blog + read it faithfully for quite some time. I had missed that older post. Often I see a pr she's made + realize I HAVE that patt too...but hers look nicer. That convinces me to make a pr. That's the story w/ the Escher ones I'm doing now.  Actually did NO knitting yesterday...not good!!!  By hand: once I made an adult sock in one day...a long one...just to prove I could. Generally I allow about 1 wk to make a pr of reg socks for my sz 9 feet...out of fingering/ sock wt yarn. My husband likes  long legs on his so I would allow probably 1 1/2 wks. I want to enjoy it too. If I have deadlines...can definately speed it up. Mens ww wool work socks ...about 4 days/ pr w/ long legs.

That other link fr you...that was a beautiful sock knitting machine!!!  I've never seen one in gold. ENVY!!!

Have to go now....will answer/ ask re your Mum's machines later.

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 7, 2010 10:24 AM

AndreaW:
this is absolutely the funniest ??? ANYONE has ever asked me!!!
Smile

Hi Andrea,

This really is ironically funny!  Just by your advises and ideas, etc.  I kind of knew that you were an experienced socker but had no idea as to the extent of it.  Just as a tidbit of information, my Mom's aunt used to knit socks and then sell them at Leona's Sweater and Wool Shop in Winnipeg.

I was away for a few days for medical reasons re: hubby's dialysis.  I took advantage of being in the city and went out to shop at Michaels.  I bought 6 balls of Patons Kroy Socks yarn of 75% wool and 25% nylon.  By the time I was done selecting the yarn for color and matching the dye lots, my hands were so itchy!  I don't know how anyone can knit with this stuff but I guess they do.  It is super fine #1.  I got three 50g balls of purple mauve varigated yarn, two 50g balls of denium varigated, and one 50g ball of dark gray.  How many pairs of socks should this make?  My Mom loves to do socks and she loves her wool.  I got these for her for Mother's Day.  I hope I got enough.  This is amusing:  I went with my sister in-law and we were both looking through books for this yarn to determine how much to buy!   My sister in-law doesn't knit or crochet and I have not knit with the super fine sock yarn and the store person wasn't much help.  I got the purple varigated yarn to match the Icelandic sweater my Mom is knitting for herself.

I got some #3 weight yarn from Paton's Astro for some socks for myself.  Its a pretty peach color.  I got two balls which should be good for 4 short socks.

Mom says she can do socks on her "fancy" knitting machine and they can be done in the round.  She says she ribs by hand first.

It sounds like you are selling your home and moving to another town?  Good luck with this.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on May 7, 2010 1:00 PM

Hi Zoe....

This will have to be a 2 part answer I guess....as soon as i signed on my husband came in + said he was getting ready for town.....figures!!!

I had just copied the link to todays newsletter fr Berrocco I wanted to share w/ you. There are 2 free sock pattern links in it  inc one that is just an anklet/ footie which I think I remember you preferring?  They are fr a #1 super fine wt...but it's NO WOOL!!!  1/2 acrylic + 1/2 nylon I think.

http://www.berroco.com/knitbits/html/KB343.html  There is a pic of a pretty basket weave sock patt (Dundee) when you go check out the actual yarn...but that's not a free patt.

Re moving: short story...we have been slooooowly working up to getting our house on the market so my husband can take temporary early retirement. Then we will go looking...living in our travel trailer...hoping to find somewhere I feel more "human". My Enviro Illness is really bad + Wayne is also starting to find his allergies are getting worse. I suppose that 12 hr shifts in a tire factory aren't helping him either!!!   We will go as far as BC to check things out...I like their attitude to Alternative Medicine...but open to settling anywhere that's healthy!!!   And hopefully somewhere that's "fiber friendly". As well as my knitting business which I would like to get moving faster again...Wayne also does orig rug hooking w/ wool yarn.

Oops...he's back downstairs...gotta go...back later w/ sock pics/ etc!!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on May 13, 2010 12:10 AM

Hi Zoe...

"Only" 6 days to get back to this...not quite a total failure yet!!!  I've had yarn + yarn labels sitting here by the computer to answer you with but knew it would take a bit of time since I wanted to try + put up pics as well. Here goes....

How did your Mum like the Kroy?  Sock yarn...the perfect Mother's day gift for a sock knitter!!!  Your ???'s re: how many socks per that amount of yarn: I generally allow 2 - 50 g balls of sock wt (#1 super fine) to make a pr of ladies. And 3 balls for a pr of mens. However I have noticed that the yardages are going down in some. The Kroy definately has. It's gotten a bit coarser over the yrs too. I checked some old labels here to compare.

old 4ply Kroy ....50g = 208yds/ 190m

old 3 ply Kroy not even made any more ....50g = 276 yds/ 253m

older stock Kroy variegated...192 yds/ 175m

Kroy Socks FX (new)...50g = 166 yds/ 152m

RH Heart & Sole w/ aloe.... 213 yds/ 195m

Of the pics I want to try to put up here....in order of appearance:

"Zebedee" took 86g of RH Heart & Sole

"Nutkins" pr #1 took  96g Kroy SocksFX

"Escher" took 100g of what I think is off-color Kroy (millends)

I hope maybe seeing the sock pic w/ the yarn amount used may help? I was really pushing it to get away w/ 2 balls on a couple pr. I generally buy plenty + use what I need. Sort of keep stock/ stash on hand.  I disliked how it was impossible to make the colors match on the Nutkins. Didn't matter how I tried. Pr # 2 is still "sulking" on the couch...I haven't decided what to do w/ them. Bad ball colorwise plus I'm not happy w/ new toe version. All 3 of these prs were handknit. I have started a different pr while I think..."Olive Branch Socks" by Violet Green.

Your Astra in peach sounds pretty. I have used that yarn in the past for kids stuff mostly. Sweaters/ hats/ mitts mostly. It always seemed to wash/ wear well. The only complaint I ever got was fr a dog sweater I'de made to order. It fit / looked beautiful...but the little dog (5 lbs) had something w/ his skin. He scratched  endlessly + picked the belly a bit. I fixed it up when his skin settled. As you don't like the feel of wool, I can't tolerate synthetics on my feet. I don't find a problem w/ a bit of nylon in the wool...but not all synthetic. Have you ever tried Patons Stretch Socks? It is a superfine yarn but a blend of 41% cotton/ 39% wool/ 13% nylon/ 7% elastic. Not @ all itchy. I made a test pr of anklets last yr on the knitting machine to find out how it washed. Then I handknit my mother a pr of reg socks w/ a cable down the side. I've been wearing the anklets w/ no troubles + my Mum liked her socks. It comes in rather soft variegated colors. I used the blues + have 2 balls of the greens here to make something fr someday. Maybe something w/ leaves!!!  I've also made socks w/ wool fr Knit Picks...my pr was softer...less itchy.

We don't have a Michaels.....I've never had a chance to shop in one. Lucky you!!!  I've often read about the good deals people can get there. Maybe someday....

Time to quit writing...Take Care ...... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 9:34 AM

Hi Andrea,

Love the sock pictures.  My Mom loves the Kroy sock wool.  She has put the socks on the back burner for now because she has all the spring yard and garden work to do for now.  Her current project on the go is making plastic canvas coffee coasters for my son.  I got her a pattern picture off the internet of a cat face as he loves his cats. 

I am making a pair of socks (the footies you linked for me) of the Bernat Softee Baby #3 yarn in Ancient White.  Got gauge for the pattern using the number 2.25 mm needles.  I am making this pair and then will go to the Astra yarn.

Mom just came over with dill seeds to plant in my garden.  TTYL, Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sbrava wrote
on May 13, 2010 2:40 PM

Hi Andrea , Liked your post. I am long time knitter who finnaly bit the bullet last winter and learned how to knit socks! I love It!!! 

My question to you is: Is their a pattern for socks with seperate toes. Just the big toe actually. I live in San Francisco and spring and summer we have a wind chill factor and  handknit sock are the answer to the summer sandal problem. Chic and warm! ( I think anyway) I am not even sure the proper name for this sock. Can you help? Thank you very much.

Mercedes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on May 13, 2010 4:38 PM

Hi Mercedes...

Another one hooked on sock knitting!!!  Yay!!!  I have to admit...I'll knit almost anything possible....but keep coming back to socks. They're a basic of life + such a portable project.

I'm not sure of the proper name for them...I just call them toe socks.  I have made one pr w/ just a big toe + one pr w/ all 5 toes. I found a pic of the big toe only ones...they're for me. I sold the other pr.

The ones I made were just patts I made up. This pr was made from Kroy yarn. I do have several patts fr the internet printed off here though + I'll be glad to share them.

http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/Patterns/Toe-Socks.html  fr the Interweave store...$5.50/ patt  They seem to be fr a very fine yarn...I'm not familiar w/ it.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTlicketysplit.html  toe-up/ a bit funky/ cute/ big toe only...free patt

http://unicornbooks.com/patterns-SQL3.asp Free patt for 5 toes. I linked to their free patt page as there are other patts you might be interested in? A couple other sock patts too...but not toe versions.  There are thumbnail pics of all the patts + in the patt itself...there is a "printer friendly" link under the big pic.

Don't forget...once you find or come up with a toe patt you like...you can always "stick it" onto any sock patt you like as long as you can fudge the st counts to make it work. Really...not hard to make. Working top-down....it's just a matter of casting on a few sts (5-6?) between the big toe + the next to complete the big toe tube. Then knit the big toe dec'ing quickly over perhaps 2 rnds @ the tip. When working the remainder or the toes...you will need to pick up 4-5 sts @ the base of your cast-on ones. That completes the tube/ box that covers the other toes. Just like a pr of gloves...or mitts w/ a trigger finger. Hint...do try to sew in all the ends smoothly. You will not want a lump right where a sandal thong goes!!!

There are a couple other toe sock patts @ the edge of my brain. If/ when I think of them...I'll post them here. Maybe others will also have some links?

Hope this helped a bit to keep your feet warm!!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on May 13, 2010 4:59 PM

Thank you  very much for the info and help . Your photo looks like exactly what I am looking for.

I will let you know how I do,

respectfully

Mercedes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 5:11 PM

Hi Mercedes and Andrea,

http://www.industryplayer.com/licenceinfo.php?licid=018410  Andrea, this site contains very interesting sock history and a couple of sock knitting machine pictures!

I remember in high school the toe socks were all the rage.  I have come across some sandle or flip flop sock patterns on the internet too.  If I can refind them, I will post where they are.

I am not so fond of the Softee Baby yarn in that it wants to always split.  But it does make for nice socks.  It is a very soft yarn.

I have read that Merino wool is the non-allergenic wool that is not itchy.  I will eventually buy some of that to make a pair of socks with, especially to wear for the cold Canadian winters.  But first I will have to hold the yarn and manipulate it in my hands.  If I react to that yarn, then I won't buy it.  Of course, I can always give it to my Mom.

Happy feet are here again,  Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 5:14 PM

Here's one,

http://www.lusciousgracious.com/stitched/episode1/AZffsocks.htm

Very simple and elegant.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 5:18 PM

http://www.aikarin.com/fiber/knitting/widdertabi.html There are links here to the pattern.  Very nice.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 5:28 PM

http://www.siviaharding.com/patterns/flippant/

This is a really nice pattern.  I guess for these, you can follow a toe- up pattern and continue on for the heel and leg.

Zoe

PS  The socks with the big toe knit separate are called "tabi" socks.  Its a Japanese name.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 5:32 PM

Hi,

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mr-tabi  These are tabi socks from Ravelry.  You need to sign up for a Ravely account.  On Ravelry, there are a great many patterns and postings in regards to anything knitted.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 13, 2010 5:37 PM

http://loumms.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/sherbert-toe-socks4.pdf

The Sherbert Toe sock can be downloaded from Ravelry but here is a direct link to the toe sock pattern.

Let us know, Mercedes, how you make out and I am sure that if you get stuck in a pattern, then just ask and someone will help you out of it.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on May 13, 2010 10:32 PM

Hi Zoe...

I finally made it thru all your links....except Ravelry ones...I never joined. I've made myself NOT take on anything else for now. It is frustrating @ times when I can't see/ read something though. I may have to give in.  Some very interesting stats @ the one w/ the knit mach pics. Pretty yarn in the Sherbet socks. One link had the pretty purple pr. One of the 2 patts she had morphed into her patt...was the Knitty link I'de given...small world!!!!

Zoe:
I have read that Merino wool is the non-allergenic wool that is not itchy.

You are right about that. The sock yarn I tried fr Knit Picks is that.

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Stroll_Kettle_Dyed_Sock_Yarn_100_grams__D5420188.html

I had bought the Eggplant color which I see isn't available now...but you can just see it on the far right of the top pic. A really pretty soft blend of dk purples. I made the Waving Lace Socks fr IK knits Spring 2004. That patt was also the cover pr on "Favorite Socks 25 Timeless Designs fr Interweave". I love the socks...MINE!!!..+ the yarn had great yardage. I only used 85g for the pr so have a bit left fr the ball. I will buy this yarn again.

You hold the yarn in your hands as a test...I put it against my neck to see if I can tolerate it. I know my feet aren't as sensitive...but ankles can be. I do allow a bit more "itchy" for my feet...but not alot.

I had a pr of acrylic  "store bought" toe (5) socks in high school. They were black w/ multi colored toes. I don't wear my toe socks much. I find as soon as I can I wear sandals...no socks. When I made the pr w/ 5 toes...I really didn't like the feel of them ...so sold them.

Quiting time for the nite .... Andrea

Page 4 of 75 (1124 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS