SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 4, 2011 9:39 PM

AndreaW:
Another quick little "Hello" fr me....seems it's all I'm capable of the last few mths. I've had a bad case of the flu since March 17th + it's far fr over now. Haven't even been out of the house since then.

Hi Andrea,

Wonderful to hear from you.  I can agree about the flu -- I had it once several years ago and never want to repeat the experience!!  I was so sick that I could not even think because that hurt too much. Unlike you, I could take pain medication.   Prayin for you!  I bet Wayne helps you a bunch and  worries too.

I went to the garnstudio and I liked what I saw.  They have some cute Easter socks!  I bookmarked it to favorites.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile  Hugs for you, Right Hug

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 5, 2011 9:31 AM

hey andrea,

so good to hear from you! thanks for that easter calendar. fun fun. i must say i did print the pattern for socks, then checked the next egg for the surprise for today. then checked the next egg and was told "no peaking"! haha. like a little kid on christmas morning......no patience here!

i've bookmarked the site to check out later. so many patterns to look at. as of we need more that the stash we already have? its that old saying, she who dies with the most patterns wins? haha!

i was winding a beautiful ball of celery green hand died yarn this morning trying to decide what to knit with it. i'm thinknig a lacy shawl. my experiment in dying did not go well. the idea in my head did not translate to the yarn. after it dried i didn't like working with the finished product. it was kind of like string, no bounce, no shine. oh well. now i know. i can appreciate what others do but i don't have to do it myself!

hope you are feeling better soon. no fun being sick like that. maybe the spring will bring some releif to you. and some more energy. we miss you here!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 5, 2011 5:49 PM

Hi Andrea, 

And a warm hello back to you.  Do you realize that it was on March 19, 2010 that you started the SOCKS?   So a little over a year ago now.  I was happy to read your quick post here. 

Also, just wanted to say that I also love the Garn Studio site.  Always enjoy looking at the patterns and there are so many of them too.  It really is nice that they are in different languages for people from everywhere around the world.  I have a hat pattern downloaded that I am planning to do. 

Look forward to hearing from you again Andrea and now I have to go check on my cole slaw I made fresh today.  Hope the flu is on it's last leg and Wayne doesn't get it either. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 7, 2011 7:40 PM

Hi all Sockers!!

Well I have completed one phase of the spring cleaning!   Sorted all my yarns from hither and yon and they are now in a tower of stacked totes!!!!  I cant believe all the sock yarns I bought and forgot that I had.  Now I must hurry up and get the rest of the house in order, then I can tackle that stash and knit up some socks!!! and stuff....

I was outside looking around my yard and up against the house on the south side, my daylilies are up about 1 inch.  They are a little foolish because we will get a killer frost yet and they will have to start all over again.  SadHuh?

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 4:04 PM

Well hello, Zoe 

Did the music get you motivated?  haha  I have a friend from Hawaii.  First thing she always asks me when she calls is "I have to ask you, 'How are your plumerias doing?'"  I tell her, "Just fine, blooming away".  Then we try to figure out why hers didn't and mind did.  I am not a pro on plumeria, but she is an expert gardener but just can't get her plumerias to live.  Somehow, mine made it past the cold, windy rains we had.  I thought for sure they would go to pulpy mush once the temps dropped over nite because they were rain soaked, but no.  So I said all that to say, maybe your lillies will fool you too and make it past the last cold.  Hey why don't you put a pair of socks over them?  Wink  Then they'll stay all warm and toasty.  Wilted Flower  You might be starting something, Zoe!  You know like yarn bombing.  What could you call it?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 6:30 PM

ZassZ:
maybe your lillies will fool you too and make it past the last cold.  Hey why don't you put a pair of socks over them?  Wink  Then they'll stay all warm and toasty.  Wilted Flower  You might be starting something, Zoe!  You know like yarn bombing.  What could you call it?

Chuckles ZassZ,

I would call it knitting an extreme garden project!!   You know, more like your Random Acts of Kindness!! lol  On the other hand, if they do freeze, then I could just knit some yellow lily blooms and stitch them on!!!  You are too funny, a laugh is always in order for us knitters.  I think at times we take ourselves way too seriously.

What do you think of the new spring KAL??  Do you like ruffles on your cardis??

Got more books to unpack.  Got to put the dialyzing machine through a two day disinfection cycle.  Guess I will start that first thing in the morning.

Found a nice cream colored #4 wt yarn.  I think I will make a pair of bed socks from them and put a little "flower" go-round the sock for a bit of stranded knitting.  I have some nice red and pink and green in the same yarn so I think I will make that.  The pattern is still forming in my head.  When I get the fair isle pattern worked out, then I will figure out how many stitches to cast on.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
banjosweetie wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 7:07 AM

Zoe,

i am new to knitting socks, but have been knitting for well over 20 years.  after kniting my third pair of socks (which came out good, but not great, yet), i have been wondering about two things:

1) which yarn is the softest on your feet and the most durable

2) what is the best technique to get the sock snug against the leg?  i did the whole mathmatics thing which worked great until they were washed...will changing to a smaller needle for the legs work?

thanks,

cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 12:44 AM

Hi Zoe...

I'm still far fr over the flu...but things I want to share/ mention here are piling up in front of me. Top of the pile happens to be a sock patt that made me think of you....so I'm starting w/ you!!!

The Marshfield Sock @ this link has a chart w/ pink tulips that made me think of the FI socks you are thinking about making to try socks w/ FI. The colors you had mentioned (somewhere on KD?) seemed to be these colors. The whole sock patt is free. However you could choose just to use the tulip part of the chart in your sock patt?  Most of these socks are pretty basic...st st + rib...w/ a FI top + toe. Love the gingham st patt along w/ the tulips. There are actually 2 free sock patts @ this link + I have another of hers printed off that I found elsewhere on the net.  Anyway....food for thought...

http://www.atimetoknit.com/d_k_M_SOCK.html

This may sound odd...but congrats on getting the fibromyalgia diagnosis!!!  I know most people would be saying "sorry to hear...". However as one who's lived w/ a severe case of it for yrs....knowledge + a label = power!!!  It's a lot harder living w/ the symptoms w/o a diagnosis....ask me how I know!!!  Luckily for me, I've learned to adapt how I knit. My hands automatically switch how they work...just slightly...frequently enough to avoid problems building up. I can + do knit for hrs. The few days I can't knit are usually due to my brain not functioning!!!  I've even knit 4 days after crunching/ breaking a finger. Stubborness combined w/ healing touch/ a different hand positions/ etc. No knitting = no sanity to me!!!  Good luck coping w/ yours!!!

Take Care.... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 1:22 AM

Hi Zass....

I've had this book sitting on top of my scanner since (it seems like) forever. Forgot to mention it last time I posted. Awhile back you were "talking" on KD w/ someone about a book of Japanese knits. You'de asked for the ISBN# / etc so you could check it out for yourself. Guessing maybe the other person didn't see your request?  Anyway...I'm wondering if it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_50?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=japanese+inspired+knits+marianne+isager+collection&sprefix=japanese+inspired+knits+marianne+isager+collection

I have it as well as 3 others of hers. They are also on the page linked above...2 way down @ the bottom. Africa/ Inca/ Classic knits. Haven't yet knit anything fr them...but I enjoy looking @ her colors / concepts/ + even the non knitting pics in all the books. A lot of the styles aren't "me" however I do like the " Maple Leaves" cardigan on p 115  + " The Fan" shrug/ cardigan on p 34...both in the Japanese Knits book. 

By the way...the ISBN# for that is 978-1-59668-114-9 + it is an Interweave book.

Who knows what we all decide to knit in the future???  Meanwhile I'm glad to have the books in my bookshelf!!!

Another book I wanted to mention to you is a recent purchase (internet). 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet

http://www.amazon.com/100-Flowers-Knit-Crochet-Embellishing/dp/0312538340/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303283048&sr=1-1

I chose a USA site to show you but of course I ordered in Canada.

There are some truly beautiful flowers here as well as several veggies/ butterflies + a ladybug. Very close-up/ clear pics. The crocheted ones have written + charted easy directions. For anyone who likes to embellish their knitting (not YOU Zass!!!)  so many choices in this book!!! My only regret is that it's personal use only. Oh well...I do have flower patts of my own I can use for sale items.  I noticed you were "talking" on another thread here w/ someone about flowers. Maybe she'de be interested to check it out too?  That was a great idea of hers to use the bendy straws inside i-cords for the stems. I've always used pipecleaners. Nice to learn something new/ better. I'de go look for the post + answer her...but I know I'll be out of energy after I finish on "SOCKS".

ZassZ:
Do you realize that it was on March 19, 2010 that you started the SOCKS?

I hadn't....how time flies when we're having fun!!!  Wayne didn't get the flu luckily + hopefully won't now. I suspect I'm not very contagious now...just really run down + unable to shake it totally. Playing it safe w/ separate towels/ etc....just in case!!!

Take Care..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 1:56 AM

Hi Sharon....

Last post here....but definately NOT least!!!   Actually I was thinking of you 2 nites ago. I knit a pr of baby/ toddler socks from some vintage Kroy in that "peppermint candy pink" color we have discussed many times in the past. These are going to be mailed to a cousin's baby in Switzerland whenever I get my (health) act together again. Funny...I always have energy to knit...life on the other hand seems to require much more than I have!?!?  Hate to admit it...but the baby was born last Aug...ooops!!!  Better late than never...right? If I'de made them last summer...they'de be long outgrown by now. This way they'll last longer. And I made them BIG deliberately...probably age 2-3?

One of the KD emails that came into my Inbox was about your dyeing not working out. Too bad...wish we were closer + could collaborate!!!  Do you mind a ??? or 2?  You said that the texture was bad after dyeing. What kind of yarn + dyes did you use?  I haven't done a huge variety of types....a couple different 100% wools + some wool/ nylon sock yarns. Oh ya...that skein of Bernat "dishcloth cotton. The dye just wouldn't stay in that yarn no matter what I tried!!!  And a mystery wool blend...that was OK. The SWS wool/ soy.... too pale/ odd blips of red??? When I used GREEN dye? The wool + wool blends (not SWS) all dyed well: color + texture. I'm intrigued what might have caused the texture change for you? Maybe avoid doing it myself???

I ran into another method of doing short row heels tonite if you or anyone else is interested. There is a symbol link on the page to a pdf version of the patt. It's 5 pages...however p 1-2 is the German version + p3 is charts of the patt for various szs. So you only need to print some of the pages.

http://www.lanagrossa.com/service/stricktipps/stricktipp_socken-mit-jojo-ferse.html

The directions say to pull the beg st until it becomes double...make sense in avoiding holes. Then it seems like you actually knit 2 rnds all the way around the sock in the middle of the heel. Only then do you work the 2nd half of the heel. Maybe good idea....maybe not? I did print it off + intend to try it. Can't on the present pr I'm knitting...but soon. I like trying new methods.

I made 2 crocheted round ripple afghans this mth. I'de set myself a goal of one/mth for 2011. Then I ran out of a color before finishing #1. I was too sick to shop myself so started #2. When I finished that one...Wayne actually went out + bought the color I needed....2 done!!!  I aim for 48" but they usually end up between 51"- 53".

OK...I'm enjoying talking here but fading fast...... thinking of you all.

Take Care...... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 8:23 AM

Hi Doll, Andrea, 

Such a nice surprise this morning.  It's about 7:00 a.m. here.  I decided to check in earlier and here you are! 

Thank you for the info on the Japanese Knits and I'll go back and fill in for you all the info you passed on re the flowers so she won't miss it.  I am sure she will appreciate it and to save you from having to do it as well. 

I am so glad you are on the "mend" - ha ha! 

I am understanding the feeling about the books on bookshelf.  I get that comforting feeling from being able to pick one up and turn the pages with my fingers.  It's that tactile touch, then I feel like I am entering another place and time.   I love the experience.  Some time ago I was fooling around with some left over pieces of yarn and ended up with a nice flower which I gave to a friend.  It turns out she had a beautiful jacket that she would wear it with because it complemented it so well.  You just never know and it really brightened her day. 

Just like you brightened mine this morning with your post!  Totally unexpected but those are the best surprises!  Take care and write me any time!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 9:00 AM

good morning andrea!

so happy to hear from you! sorry to hear you are still under the weather, but we can all relate to your comment about not being too tired to knit. funny how that works. we are all possessed to some degree. everything else can wait till later......but those knitting needles? well, its only for medicinal purposes after all! haha!

in my dyeing experiment.....i used knitpicks "bare" yarn. 2 different types. one was superwash merino sock yarn, the other was merino/nylon blend. they both took the dye - koolaid - well. no problem there. i was dissapointed in my color choice. what i had pictured in my mind did not come out the way expected. of course i see all these gorgeous hand dyed yarns and think i can duplicate with koolaid? haha! get a grip! anyway, i wanted vibrant hot pink and orange and yellow. hard to find those colors with koolaid so i chose yellow and orange and cherry red. the skein was very colorful and when i started to knit, i realized i had not left enough space bewteen the colors so it just blended into a non-descript blur. nothing interesting. the yarn was also a disappointment because it was like knitting with string. no give at all. not sure if the dye did that or it would have knit up like that anyway. it seemed to be soft and pliable before i started torturing it. after it was like string. so, i got that out of my system and have started "colelcting" beautiful skeins of hand dyed yarn by other "artists". i can really appreciate their work now that i have tried and see what it involved. i have decided not to stress myself out about it. it was a learning experience and i learned that i am a knitter at heart. so, something positive did come out of it after all. and i have several skeins of gorgeous yarn to knit christmas gifts!

thanks for the article about the jojo heel. i printed it and now will sit quietly with it and try to figure it out. i'm like you, i like to try new things. its all in the challenge of mastering something new. i also really like the tulip sock you posted for zoe. looks like fun, and i may have to try that also. right now i am working on a lacy, short sleeved cardigan from vogue magazine early fall 2010, page 60. doing it in the same soft pink as the model. after that i am thinking i may move onto some more intense lace knitting. i still have my books on estonian lace that are calling me. some have lilies of the valley in the pattern, and i do love those flowers. i also know this would be a really challenging project and that is why i am stalling on it. i am a finisher and like to complete one project before i move on. otherwise i would have tons of knitted things, but none put together! so....this would be tough for me. i'm thinking i would not enjoy concentrating on the lace all the time so i would have to have a simple project going at the same time so i could relax and enjoy it. we shall see what happens.

hoping spring will be in your neighborhood soon, along with warmth and sunshine and maybe that will help heal you. not fun having something linger for so long. but as long as you can keep your needles moving........

happy knitting,

sharon 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 11:27 PM

Hi All...

I posted this over in "Fabulous Projects completed lately" ....but thought I'de put it here as well in case anyone was interested.

pasted in:

Hi Zass  + Wendy...

Your conversation re: flowers kept going thru my head + ringing tiny little bells. Something about Nicky Epstein + flower patts. I do have that issue of VK so looked in it for any hidden links. Nope. Finally started going thru old emails to friends (yup...I'm a total packrat....luckily) + found the link I was looking for. It's a 4 page pdf that has the covers of her 2 flower books (knit/ crochet) + one free patt fr each. I much prefer the knit one (a rose) but might use the crocheted one (minus the center beads) as a backing for another flower. Anyway...if anyone is interested:

Actually if I remember correctly there were other patts there including a pr of knitted slippers. Almost SOCKS...right?!?!   Or maybe someone wants to put flowers on their socks!!!

Take Care..... Andrea
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 11:54 PM

Hi Sharon....

Just checked out the lace cardigan you're making. Pretty lace + I love the color even if it's not one I can wear well. The whole thing just looks SOFT!!!

I think knitting lace is like candy for the soul. It makes me happy. I did a lace cowl last mth that I intend to give to my Mum for Mother's Day. Fingering wt? pale green wool?. Another one of my "mystery yarns".  Still have to block it.

I have a hank of the KnitPicks Bare in wool/ nylon fingering that I intend to dye @ some point. I was planning to knit a "blank" w/ it on the knitting machine + then dye it in that form. I've only actually knit w/ KnitPicks sock yarn once. I think it was Stroll in a purple color. It was soft but thinner w/ less body than I'm used to. We'll see what happens to the Bare when I dye it? I was planning to divide (figuratively) the blank into perhaps 1/4's + dye each one color blending into the next. Say hot pink - purple- turquoise- green. So when I knit socks they would have green tops going down to pink toes. Still thinking @ this point...haven't tried w/ a blank before. Will let you know when/ if !!!

The socks I have on the needle (the 9" one fr Jan) right now are for Wayne...starting my Xmas pile early.

http://www.tanisfiberarts.blogspot.com/2009/11/alpha-sock-pattern.html

I like her Prism Shawl + Shane Baby Blanket on the sidebar. All 3 are free patts.

Forgot to comment last nite....I always try to "cheat" on the Garnstudio calendars too + peek early....never works!!!

While I like to finish whatever project I'm working on + usually do....it doesn't bother me when one does get put aside for some reason. Eventually they get done or recycled. Fretting about it defeats the purpose of knitting...relax!!!  Or @ least that's one of the purposes...I like to use the finished product too.

Take Care..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 12:48 AM

Hi to All again...

Just remembered another item that I had intended to share here last fall...hanging head in shame!!!  One of the magazines I've had a subscription to for yrs is "Knitter's magazine". Last fall was their 100th issue + to celebrate they offered it as a free download. I didn't do the download since I have the hardcopy arriving regularly in my mailbox. Probably why I forgot to post here about it. Anyway...it was also an extra big edition....NICE!!!  The website is:

http://www.knittinguniverse.com//

However when I just went there .....there have been some changes + I really had to look to find the free issue. So I'm going to give the link here to the actual page I got to from their website:

http://www.knittinguniverse.com/zinio/

You will see down near the bottom that one issue is marked "free" ....that's it!!!  There are just over 230 pages to the magazine + some very nice patterns. I love it + always keep up my subscription. My earliest is #54 I think.

Zoe...I know you will be cursing me since your internet won't handle this fr what you've said. SORRY...maybe you know someone elsewhere who can download it + burn it to a disc for you?

And one final "share" tonite ...I ran across a page on the VK site that offers some basic translation ( 10 languages) of knit/ crochet terms. I printed it off as I have found patts that I needed a bit of help understanding!!!

http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/article_archive/parlez-vous_knitting.aspx

Good nite all.... Andrea

Page 71 of 75 (1124 items) « First ...  < Previous  69 70 71 72 73  Next >  ... Last » | RSS