Russian Knitting

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
DianneV wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 6:09 AM

I have just seen sweaters done in Russian Knitting at a craft show. I would like to learn the technique. I understand it is done with both knitting needles and a crochet hook. Love the texture. Anyone familiar with this?

~ thanks ~ dianne

Not Ranked
Posts 1
slmotz wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 11:32 AM

I am new to this site.  I found a video on Russian Knitting on u-tube.  Here's the link.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CC297KWCK4

This knitting is done and narrated by a man, which seems unusual, but maybe in Russia, men are more likely to knit.

Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 11:04 AM

DianneV:
Russian Knitting at a craft show. I would like to learn the technique. I understand it is done with both knitting needles and a crochet hook.

I have done some research into the "Russian" knitting and believe it is the same as the Tunisian knitting.  Kathleen has an article posted on this today in the "shawl" article.  Check it out because it may be what you are looking for.

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Eyanne wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 11:42 AM

That video just looks like continental knitting, with the exception of the first slipped stitch.  The "Russian Knitting" using two needles and a crochet hook must be something else.  Hmmm.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 141
FionaC wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 7:49 PM

Try a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjkctMs9w90ry

The crochet hook is used to do the purling. My gran, European but not Russian, used to purl this way because she didn't like purling with a knitting needle. Never knew it was called Russian knitting!  A crocheted cast-off, which is quick and easy and produces a nice chain top side, is also apparently called Russian cast-off, although there is another, very stretchy cast-off with the same name that is done slightly differently with knitting needles and no crochet hook.

FionaC

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Eyanne wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 9:34 PM

Thanks!  Don't know if this is what the original poster was referring to, but that is neat!   I like the option to use a crochet hook for purl, and that method of bind-off is new to me, knitting needles or crochet hook.  Cool! Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cologramma wrote
on Jul 28, 2012 12:24 AM

just GOOGLE "Russian Knitting" and you will come up with demo sites: knit, purl, decrease, bind-off etc.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS