Help with wool weights please

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Scattered Confused [*-)] wrote
on Apr 11, 2010 8:29 AM

I have got the pattern for Knitted Cuddlies. I thought I would start with something easy <grin>

but hit a snag reading the pattern first Embarrassed

Please could someone tell me what wool UK Tongue Tied size/weight/ply I should be using for this.

Maybe from the needle size it would be double knitting??

I didn't realize I would be so thick, I admit I haven't knitted for about 5 years but have all

things English pattern/wool etc.  Altough I did have trouble remembering where I was. <sigh>

I was 5 years younger then.

I have looked round the search engines to see if I could see a comparison but am still in the dark. <confused >

Please can anyone help with my senile moment

Scattered xx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 98
mandyangela wrote
on Apr 11, 2010 1:11 PM

Hi there Scattered!

Try this

Note: # & number confirms to American YarnStandards system

Tomayto                                                                  Tomarto

#0 Lace                                                                  1 ply cobweb                        

#1 Super Fine - Sock, Fingering, Baby                   2 or 3 ply

#2 Fine - Sport, Baby                                             4 ply

#3 Light - DK, Light Worsted                                  DK

#4 Medium - Worsted, Afghan, Aran                      Aran

#5 Bulky - Chunky, Craft, Rug                                Chunky

#6 Super Bulky - Bulky, Roving                              Super Chunky

As for needles & hooks, the ball or skein tag should tell you what to use, but here is a (very) basic guide.

#0 - 2mm needles & hooks

#1 - 2.25 - 3.5 mm needles & hooks

#2 - 2.25 - 3.5 needles, 3.5 - 4.5 mm hooks

#3 - 3.5 - 4.5 needles, 4.5 - 5.5 hooks

#4 - 4.5 - 5.5 needles, 5.5 - 6.5 hooks

#5 - 5.5 - 6.5 needles, 6.5 - 9mm hooks

#6 - 6.5 & upwards needles, 9mm & larger hooks

You could also try the Yarn Standards.com site.

Hope this helps a bit!

Mandy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
alexdv75 wrote
on Nov 7, 2010 6:43 AM

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for sharing the detail instructions. Once we give up the habit of knitting it becomes difficult to recall all the patterns, some we completely forget. My mom used to knit some complicated ones but it's years now since she gave up due to some eyesight problems. Anyway, thanks for sharing I'm all excited to learn all over again.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 7, 2010 9:06 AM

Hi Scattered,

It does take a little bit of time with your knitting to get to know what yarns and needles to use for projects.  Each pattern will give you the recommended yarn and needle size to use.  As you get more comfortable with your knitting styles, you will know which yarns and needles are suitable for you.  You can take your pattern down to your yarn supply store, and the sales person would be able to help you out too.  I will give you some links to sites to use for references in choosing your yarns.  (If my edit button isn't working right, then I will keep on posting for you.)

http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/wiki/Knitting+Yarns

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile 

PS  I have found the pattern and the following is all information about the yarns and needles used.  (This information was copied from the Knitting Daily site and I mention this to give credit where it pertains to copyright.) :

"Yarn: Cat (As shown here): Green Mountain Spinnery Cotton Comfort (20% organic cotton, 80% fine wool; 180 yd [165 m]/2 oz): #6-S silver (MC) and #6-SM storm (dark grey, CC), 1 skein each; Light DK weight: about 80 yd (73 m) MC and 55 yd (50 m) CC.; Rabbit (As shown here): Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cotton (100% organic cotton; 150 yd [137 m]/100 g): #82 nut (brown, MC), 1 ball; #81 sand (light tan, CC), 1 ball; dark brown wool yarn, 1–2 yd (1–2 m) for embroidery on face. Worsted weight: about 75 yd (69 m) MC, 40 yd (37 m) CC, and 1–2 yd (1–2 m) of a second contrasting color for embroidery on face. Teddy Bear (As shown here): Vreseis Fox Fibre Chenille (100% cotton; 1000 yd [914 m]/1 lb): brown (MC), less than 1 cone; white cotton yarn (CC), about 10 yd (9 m) for scarf and face embroidery. Worsted weight: about 95 yd (87 m) MC and 10 yd (9 m) CC.

Needles: Cat: U.S. size 5 (3.75 mm): straight.; Rabbit and Teddy Bear: U.S. size 7 (4.5 mm): straight. Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS