The Knitting Green Challenge

This post has 74 Replies | 24 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,543
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Apr 14, 2010 1:34 PM

Join us! Post details about your project, photos, questions, etc. And have fun! Check the blog post about this challenge here.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
harmonise wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 8:39 AM

I love this idea and have been doing it for years!  I probably have as many thrift store sweaters waiting to be repurposed as I do store-bought skeins of yarn.  This has inspired me to get back to this recycling project. . .http://nextgenerationcrocheter.blogspot.com/2010/01/from-this-to-that.html

blessings,

nance

Not Ranked
Posts 2
RebeccaM@7 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 8:53 AM

I once cut countless plastic grocery store bags into strips and knit them into an ill-designed bag.  Others have had much more success:  http://www.diynetwork.com/decorating/recycled-plastic-carryall/index.html   Two tips from me.  a) It's not the quietest "yarn" you'll ever use, so maybe not for an airplane ride.  b) You gotta be kinda mad to knit with plastic - also not the dreamiest "yarn" you'll ever use - but thinking about the grocery store helps get you in the mood.  My project?  Still in UFO/WIP basket.  I could have used all those bags for something else . . .  Still, better than a 100% acrylic 80's sweater . . .  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jemima Spare wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 9:02 AM

I had a woollen sweater that was getting a bit tatty, so I felted it and sewed it up as a bag.

Worked very well, especially as the stripes on the sweater came out nicely on the bag.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
HazelS wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 9:25 AM

This shawl was made from strips cut from old levi's accented with stips of mylar from recycled chip bags. I also made a quilt with the back pockets. I still have a large bag os used pants for a furture rug project.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Valinptcga wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 9:29 AM

I too am knitting a tote out of recycled plastic shopping bags.  I have knit one side and it got put in the UFO pile.  This article has inspired me to pull it out again.  Thanks. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Valinptcga wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 9:31 AM

Wow, did you use a rotary cutter ?  Is it heavy ?  Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
maggiekruser wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 9:46 AM

I've been having a lot of fun making yarn from used plastic and knitting it up into handbags.   This URL shows one of my recent creations (sorry, I can't figure out how to insert the pic).  I also made yarn buttons from one of Interweave's how to's I received recently.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/43672683/echo-couture-hand-bag

The next knitting guild meeting after showing my handbags to the group I came home with a huge bag of plastic bags that were collected for me.  Can't wait to incorporate the many new colors I have!

-Maggie

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Valinptcga wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 10:05 AM

Maggie:  How delightful and you are really recycling a great many things.  I love the leather accents.  I need to go thrift store to find some handles for a felted tote I made.  I think the bags are worth every penny of the $price.  I am sure they take hours x many.  Also, so neat that the guild is now recycling.  I too collected colors from friends.  Best to you and happy knitting,  vh

Not Ranked
Posts 13
jnlfamily wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 10:26 AM

The Green video on your message doesn't work?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
judypsp1 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 10:43 AM

I'm already into repurposing and would love to take part in this challenge.  I'm new to knitting and this sounds like a very forgiving project.   I've got a pack rat's supply of materials already so I'm good to go.  Maybe I can decrease the piles a bit.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
janer@38 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 11:10 AM

This is my knitted and crocheted bag!

Kathleen Cubley:

Join us! Post details about your project, photos, questions, etc. And have fun! Check the blog post about this challenge here.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DebraB@28 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 11:26 AM

At a community garage sale, I found a huge and hideous,little-worn  hand-knit 1980's ruffled sweater in a luxurious mohair.  I frogged it (took some time!), and now I'm working on a much nicer sweater - the ruffles on the old sweater used so much yarn that even with the waste that comes from recycling an old garment I'll have more than enough for my project, and some extra (accessories!).

Not Ranked
Posts 6
isis284 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 11:28 AM

I amassed a huge amount of plastic bags to do the same thing but on the show, she had all these great color bags and all I had were white or brown and never really felt inspired.  They were eventually recycled or used to empty the litter box.  Tongue Tied

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Donna6956 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 11:45 AM

I have been crocheting with poptops for 4 years.  They make the cutest purses.

Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS