Teaching knitting / crochet in school

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
AStargazer wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 6:26 AM

Sometime in the recent past, I saw a spot about an organization that helps promote knitting education in school.  Our school needs to have a program like this, but, as always, has no funds to create a program.  Can anyone help 'remember' who this group is?

Thanks in advance

Kim Schwind aka TelefonicaMom

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
SheilaB@23 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 7:37 AM

Hi

I had one term of my home econimic class in grade seven that we got about ten knitting lessons.   In sewing I learned by grade nine to make a dress.   When my daughter took sewing they were only learning the very basics.   Class had gone from a whole afternoon to 35 minutes.

Sheila

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Sep 21, 2010 3:06 PM

OOoooh, good idea!

I am a member of a small homeschool group and one of the moms had a sewing class this summer, but I never thought about knitting/crocheting!  I bet there are even a few moms who would like to learn.  I'll have to see what I can pull together and offer a group class in the spring.

We didn't do any sewing or the like in my home ec class, and then my school got rid of the class entirely the year after I took it (back in 1991-1992 or so).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 3:45 PM

Hi Kim, 

Try doing a search here by putting in some of the terms you remember when reading that post.  It should help you to find the right post.  The search box at the top right of the page here. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 10:46 PM

TelefonicaMom:
Our school needs to have a program like this, but, as always, has no funds to create a program.  Can anyone help 'remember' who this group is?

Hi Kim,

Here is a facebook link to teaching kids in school to knit.  I am sure they can give you more directions as to how to go about this if you post on facebook.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Craft-Hub/325764742106 

For others who are interested, the 4H clubs have such categories, if I remember correctly back when I was in 4H.  There were so many things to learn and do in 4H and you got to pick the ones you were interested in, as long as there was a leader willing to teach that particular thing.  It could be something to look into. 

Good luck with all this,  Zoe Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 11:11 PM

I remember seeing something about that!  Was it on an episode of Knit and crochet Now? Wish the would have had that when I was in elementary school.

KELLEIGH~~

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS