THE OFFICIAL SLEEVELESS TUXEDO SHIRT KAL POST

This post has 353 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 7:36 PM

hi marqueii,

hope your hubby is doing better? you have a lot going on there. and kudos to you with all that, you are still finding time to knit. if you are like i am, the knitting is your sanity! knitting keeps me calm and stabilizes my life. hang in there!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 31
Jag009 wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 11:03 AM

Marqueii,

I, too, had unexpected things to deal with after I started this KAL.  My husband underwent bladder cancer surgery and, thankfully, is doing well for the time.  Then one of my Siberian Huskies ate one of my husband's shoes and had to undergo emergency surgery.  Trust me, my husband is a better patient than my dog! 

I re-started this KAL using a different yarn to enable me to knit faster and not mind as much if it didn't turn out that great.  When I finish this one I will go back and finish the one I started using the linen yarn.  I'm done with the back and just started the front.  I agree with Yogama.... knitting keeps us sane!

Happy Fourth of July!

Jane

Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 7:33 PM

hi jane,

so sorry to hear of your troubles. hopefully hubby is continuing to do well and husky is back to his/her happy self?

we women need to support each other in our endeavors. life has a way of getting in the way, but those knitting needles can be calming.

smiles to you!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 10:03 PM

i am back at the needles, myself, for this project there has to be calm LOL. so quite a lot of time and doctor's appointments later (for my dear hub), i haven't gone much further up the front than last time i posted. however a new tip, a result of interrupted knitting time:

in the directions, we are to knit until the front is 15 1/2 inches (as appropriate) long - i got tired of pulling out the tape measure or fussing with a ruler, and cut a piece of firm paper to length, pinned it with small safety pins up the front, so i can see at a glance how much left i have to do before the armhole decreasing.

in doing this little caper, i notice that the curling at the hem takes up a good inch!

knit on, dear friends ;)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 31
Jag009 wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 12:39 AM

Sharon,

Thanks for the support.  Tonight we spent the better part of three hours with our youngest son in the emergency room.  He is 27 and this is a reminder that our role as parents is never over.  When we got home I actually knit a few rows.  It felt great!  I am guessing that I won't sleep all that long tonight, but I am actually looking forward to getting up early and sipping coffee while I knit.  You see, it really is therapy.  Peace to all of my friends on this KAL.

Jane 

Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 5:35 AM

hi jane,

is your son ok now? here's hoping you were able to wind down and sleep some? somehow we get through what we need to, and then it hits us. and yes, knitting is therapy ! i have 3 - 20, 24, 26. when they were little i was at the er so often with stitches, then moved onto broken bones. fortunately none were really serious and they somehow made it through. and so did i, with a few extra wrinkles and grey hairs. which shall never show. i will have bright red hair by the time i get to the nursing home! haha!

but seriously, hope all is well.

sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 11
vickild wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 9:14 AM

Praying for you and your husband. It's great that you can do his job. I didn't start this project because I'm still working on the Minimalist Cardigan.I don't have a lot of time to knit but I love it. If I stayed away from the computer, I might get more done. lol I'm following this KAL and looking forward to the  next one. Even if I don't knit the next one,the advice everyone posts is precious.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 2:50 PM

hi all,

i had a wonderful suggestion from another thread about my curling straps. i changed mine from the pattern and they are knit straight, with no lace. i did a crochet edge, not the ruffle, around the edges. they are rolling under and annoying me. i thought i was going to rip them out and redo them.

here's the idea from andreaw. grosgrain ribbon. brilliant. i am going ribbon shopping soon. i'm thinking the same color as my yarn, with maybe a little texture on the edges. maybe peeking out from under at the sides to add a little interest? depending on the width of the ribbon i may have to double it. you can see my brain is working overtime trying to solve this dilemma!

this discussion came about because andrea's grandma and mine were of the same vintage. they used to sew grosgrain ribbon to the button edges and then make buttonholes with a sewing machine. beautiful finished buttonholes. at the same time, the button edging never stretched and puckered. i was complaining about my straps curling under and andrea came up with this idea. simple and seems so workable to me. easier than ripping out and reknitting. i will let you know and post some pics if it works - which i am fully confident it will!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
JeanG@31 wrote
on Jul 6, 2010 2:49 PM

Hi All,

Back from summer camp with my son and so much for all the knitting I thought I was going to do last week!  It was way too hot (hit 100 the first few days) and dirty!!!  So I am now behind...but looking forward to picking it back up tonight.  I will finish this project!

:)

Jean

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 6, 2010 3:13 PM

hi jean,

dirty and hot - not a good combination for productive knitting.

but.....wasn't it fun? and how did your son do? earned some more badges toward eagle??

relax and happy knitting in the a/c tonight!

sharon

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
JeanG@31 wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 10:53 AM

Hi Sharon,

Yes, we had a great time, thank goodness for the nice cool pool and also the wonderful shower I found right near the pool.  :)  Jason actually spent a lot of time swimming or biking.  the only badge he earned this year was shotgun shooting.  He was the SPL this year so he had a lot of extra activities and responsibilities to attend to so I didn't blame him for wanting to just have some fun.  He will be attending an Eagle workshop at the end of this month and I have a feeling that will get him on track to get moving.  Fingers crossed!  And now back home - it's cool in the high 70's to low 80's.  i've heard parts of the mid-west are in a major heatwave - hope everyone is staying cool!

Jean

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Jul 17, 2010 6:29 AM

FINISHED!!!!! Yay!! 

Because I liked the look of the standard stockinette stitch instead of the reverse, the crocheted edge didn't really help with curling, so instead, I knit two rows of seed stitch around the neck and armholes and I love the finished result. Here's my photo!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 9:50 AM

I love it!  Did you shorten it because I adore the cropped look.  What did you do on the bottom?  It really looks beautiful. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Jul 17, 2010 12:01 PM

I did shorten it, but mostly because I'm short-waisted and needed to shorten the length so it would sit properly at my hips rather than hanging to my knees :)

The bottom hemline is a lace pattern from the same issue of Interweave Knits (lacy yoga bag). I saw this adaptation on Ravelry, and really liked the look so I copied it for mine. I did 12 rows in the lace pattern.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Jul 23, 2010 8:53 PM

I finally finished it tonight.  This was my first garment, so I stuck strickly to the pattern.  I thought about making variations, but chickened out.  But I think it looks pretty good.  I'm ready to move on!

I added this one because Beedy was in the picture and OMG cute! :D

Page 23 of 24 (354 items) « First ...  < Previous  20 21 22 23 24  Next > | RSS