Pets and crafts

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Jun 14, 2010 8:48 PM

I was inspired by Kathleen's blog today with the "gratuitous kitty/puppy photo" and was wondering how many other people find that their pets gravitate to them (more then usual) whenever they are working on some sort of craft?  I have two cats and I tend to break out my knitting and jewelry making tools when they are napping because my little one has a tendancy to want to play with everything (she just knocked over a tray of beads I was using to make a necklace over the weekend!)  They always seem to break their nap routine once I start a project, at least one cat seeks me out, whether its my little one who likes to play with the needles or my older one who likes to sleep underneath the project while I am working on it. 

I have also noticed that my mom's cats and dogs always seem to gather around her whether she's knitting or sewing, and if possible nap right in the middle of it all.  She'll start off in her sewing room all by herself and after an hour or so she's got at least a dog on the floor and 2 cats on the bed sleeping that don't normally go in there.   Even my dad has found that one of the cats insists on sitting next to him while he's doing some of his wood carving.  They are all usually cuddly and playful but it seems like as soon as you are working on something they need to be there with you no matter what they were doing before that, even if its just to nap on the couch next to you instead of the bed upstairs which is just as comfortable. 

Is there some sort of zen-like feeling that we give off when working on our projects that attracts them?  Is the noise from the sewing machine or the clicking of the needles comforting in some way?  If the commotion of our task interests them so much, then why do they always seem to want to nap in it?

Anyone have any interesting stories or theories?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 14, 2010 9:34 PM

Hi there Knitting Tomboy,

I have a miniature Schauzer.  There are some interesting comments about the pets different knitters have on the Tuxedo Shirt KAL.  Now some have even posted avatars of their pets!  It is great.

My schauzer, Lucky, likes to investigate what I am making.  Perhaps she will get a toy or something from this yarn on my needles.  Other times she loves to just lay at my feet and be with me while I knit.  Knitting is a great stress release and is very rythmic.  I think that pets are drawn to this calm quiet energy we generate as we knit.  And of course Luck has learned that her curiousity needs to stay out of my knitting yarns when I am not using them!  Cats are curious.  I have a little saying that I will end with.

Curiousity killed the cat and made the knitter discover new stitches!  Zoe  

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Jun 15, 2010 9:33 PM

I have to agree that it is definitely a great stress relief and it must be my new sense of calm and the release of anxiety that makes them want to suddenly be around me.  My little one, Calleigh, loves to play with my knitting and I have to hide it because she will actually try to carry it around the house, instead she steals the dish sponge or lid to a tupperware container, I wonder if she thinks she's a retriever!  She knows exactly which bag I keep my projects in and if I don't tuck them in well enough she will pull it open and start yanking the yarn or needles out.  Such a trouble maker but so adorable and interesting to watch her figure out things like that. 

I never really thought about knitting a toy for them but sounds like a good idea, fill it with catnip and they would be in heaven.  My older cat, Reilly, he just likes to sleep under whatever i'm making, as long as it covers his head, he's happy.  He's not  a lap cat either but when the project is small and only fits on my lap then that's where he curls up. 

My mom has one very smart cat, Maggie, trained for when she's knitting.  Maggie snoozes next to her but when the yarn starts moving she watches it so intensely but does not play with it anymore since my mom showed her she's not allowed or she gets shoo-ed of the couch.  You can see its killing her to not go after it but she wants to stay so she behaves.  No such luck with my Calleigh!  I am constantly losing stitches when she's around.  Oh well, most of the time its entertaining and it reteaches me how to pick up dropped stitches!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
BRENDA@7 wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 10:47 AM

I have 3 cats and they definitely hang out with me when I sit down to knit or anything. I have a Russian Blue who gets right next to me on the couch every time I sit there. she has to be touching me. It really is cute. She just sleeps while I knit and watch tv.

Brenda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 3:27 PM

Hi All Knitters with Pets, 

My little dachshund loves to curls up nearby with his little eyes on me and then when he can't keep his eyelids open, snoozes awhile, then wakes up & stretches and decides he wants his attention so he squeezes right up next to me for his talking to & tummy rubs.  Then he's happy, he got his love and now we start all over again.  That's my cue to get up and stretch too, get a cup of coffee, or take a little break.  He's an excellent reminder for me. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 8:28 AM

my 2 boston terrier pups do the same thing. they decide it is time for attention and climb into my lap. they could care less if they tangle yarn, cause me to drop stitches or lose my place in the pattern. after all, its all about them isn't it? but they are so cute, how can i get annoyed with them?

happy knitting,

sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 6
jafranklin05 wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 3:35 AM

I have a Pomeranian female dog and she is like a family member for us and we all love her.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS