Elemental Boatneck Sweater

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 10
jehlfamily wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 10:23 AM

I have a newbie question.  I just purchased the Elemental Boatneck pattern and my yarn for the project. It calls for circular needles size 3 and 4 16' and 26".  I have a set of Hiya needles but they are 16 and 24"  Can I knit the sweater on the 24 or will the stitches be too squished?  I thought i'd check before I purchase more needles?

Thanks for the help!

Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 12:59 PM

jehlfamily:
It calls for circular needles size 3 and 4 16' and 26".  I have a set of Hiya needles but they are 16 and 24"  Can I knit the sweater on the 24 or will the stitches be too squished?

Hi Sue,

I answered this question earlier today and see that my post didn't make it.  I am having issues with some KD buttons working for me.

Different companies make different lengths of circulars.  Perhaps this pattern writer only had a 26" needle and so that is what she went with for this garment.  If it was me knitting this item, and I only had a 24" circular needle, I would use it first.  If during the knitting of this garment, you feel that you need an extra 2" for your cable, then you can go out and buy a circular needle in that length.  I know that Hiya needles do make a 32" exchangeable cable but likely didn't come with your set. ( I did a little research and I would hazard a guess that you did pay a substantial fee for them.  This is why I recommend using what you have first.)

Hope it helps and let me know,  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 10
jehlfamily wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 2:40 PM

Thanks Zoe.  I'll just dive right in and see what happens!  I'd rather not buy more needles.  I splurged on the nice set of Hiya's thinking that I will be using them for many years to come!

sj

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 4:47 PM

Hi sj,

You just go right ahead and play with those wonderful Hiyas!!  And by the way, enjoy!  If you don't need more needles, why buy them when what you already have is wonderful!  I bet that in a couple of years, Hiyas will be offering to sell other lengths of cable to those who already have the needle shaft parts.  Not just Hiyas but other companies too.

Knitters always get to play yarns and needles!  Zoe

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS