What is your favorite thing to do in the summer?

This post has 23 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
TeresaMc wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 11:08 PM

My favorite thing to do in the summer is go to the mountains and have a picnic.  I love the smell of pine needles, and it is so quiet.  I am originally from southern Oregon so I really love the mountains.

Also another favorite thing I love is mowing the lawn in the summer, the smell of a fresh cut lawn it just perfect.

Teresa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 25, 2010 10:27 PM

Hi Teresa....

I think my favorite thing to do in the summer is to look after + enjoy my flowers + garden. Seeing all that green growing "stuff" just makes me feel happy!!!  We used to camp a lot yrs ago but then after I got fibromyalgia/ Enviro Illness....it just wasn't fun anymore. We now have a 27" travel trailer + did enjoy getting out camping again last summer. Looking forward to doing it again this summer.

Summer is also a good time to dye yarn as you can do it outside in the sun. I like using "sun power" + KoolAid to make my own wool yarn colors to knit with.

My husband does the lawn mowing so I get to enjoy the smell w/o the effort!!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 26, 2010 6:06 PM

One of my favorites is to get up early in the morning before the sun comes up and with my little dachshund at my side, along with my first cup of coffee, just look out at the quiet, listen to the birds awakening sounds and enjoy the early morning June fog.  I love seeing my neighbors gardens begin their bloom and who planted what.  I love seeing my flowers & plants growing as well. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 9:30 AM

hi zassz,

we are very much alike. i love the early morning also. the sound of the birds waking up, the smell of the air. everything is still at peace. i live in nj not far from the beach and i love early mornings at the beach also. the waves, the seagulls, the sun is still early and not so hot. life is good!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 6:37 PM

hi yogama,

so nice of you to write and glad to meet you!  We have that same appreciation of early in the day.  Gets a lot more accomplished too.  The other morning I was looking over my copy of Vogue Holiday 2008.  It seems that many of my favorites are in that issue, even though it is a past one.  Are you familiar with it?   How often do you pick up your knitting?  Paradise

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 7:33 AM

hi zassz,

nice to meet you also. i am not familiar with that issue of vogue, but i may have to find one and take a peak. possibly the library?

where do you live and what are you working on? i try to knit every day. even just a little bit. i find it so relaxing and good for my mental health. at least that is how i raitonalize it to my family!

right now i am working on some baby things. my neice is expecting the first grandbaby of their generation in oct. a little boy. i finished a lime green vest and green/blue/turq variagated socks to go with it. ann budd's baby socks. i'm thinking of a little hat from the sock yarn to go with it.

i have another neice getting married end of aug. my sis and i are having a spa day with our daughters to celebrate. i am working on the lacy sachet - a free pattern from interweave (posted 5/20/09). i tried to be clever and insert the link here, but i am not a computer whiz!

do you get excited with a new pattern and new yarn? nothing better than that feeling!

enjoy your day and happy knitting!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 8:31 PM

hi yogama, 

Yes, I think you can find some Vogue Knitting mags at the local library.  I am working on a little something different.  I thought I would try some of those patterns for the cuff bracelets (in the same magazine issue I mentioned previously).  I have been enjoying using up some bits of yarn on them.  I saw your pictures of the cute little bootties, socks and vest & all were done so nicely! 

Oh of course any time I can spend knitting is so yummy.  I hope everyone's baby comes into this world healthy and happy.  Congrats on the upcoming wedding. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 26, 2010 4:42 PM

Hi Andrea, 

AndreaW:

We now have a 27" travel trailer + did enjoy getting out camping again last summer. Looking forward to doing it again this summer.

I read you are back from a little get away and just to say "missed you" and hope you had a nice time.  What are you up to now? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 1:28 AM

Hi ZassZ......

Thanks for your good wishes!!!  Wayne is lucky enough to have about 3 1/2 wks vacation this yr so we are doing several shorter trips in different directions instead of the whole time away. Great to be home on/ off too. You can keep up w/ the lawn/ flowers as well as doing laundry in your own home. For me w/ Enviro Illness....laundrmats (sp?) are a really bad place to go w/ all the scented products.

Knitting always goes w/ me...but I don't always seem to find much knitting time when camping. Maybe because I usually feel better when away in the trailer so glad to be able to do some other things too for a change?  Anyway...as soon as we get home each time...I'm back on KD + SOCKS especially...catching up on everything I missed!!!

Hope you're having some good times yourself this summer?!?!

Talk soon ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 12:30 PM

Hi Andrea, 

I like that idea, taking a bit of time and spreading out your travel.  I worry about my flowers and plants while away as well. 

Oh I really am enjoying.  Spending time with family and friends.  I have some beautiful memories.  Also love to go out with my husband on trips and take our little dachshund along.  He is such a good traveler!  He absolutely loves going with us and he is no trouble wherever we go.   An absolute must take an interesting book to read and my knitting of course.  Also love to check out new yarn shops that could be just around the corner! 

I'm brewing a fresh cup of coffee.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 8:16 PM

Hi Andrea and ZassZ

I do like to get away for a bit too.  But that is quite difficult when hubby is on home dialysis as the machine is a permanent fixture in the house.  This year our home hemodialysis support group is renting a camp ground for 8 days.  These 8 days are split in half and so more dialyzing people are able to go to camp.  It is the first year for this camp.  We will go in to the dialysis center for one day and that is a 45 minute drive away from the camp.  We will get to go fishing, boating, hiking, swimming, etc.  (Hah, if I can manage it all, then I will!)  This all takes place in August. 

Must bring my big sun umbrella as I do not do well in the sun.  I get very sick from it. Ick!

The camp is totally wheelchair accessable. 

I am on my way to sweet dream land, (no frogs in this dream world), Zoe SmileStar

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 10:25 PM

Hi Zoe,

This is a very thoughtful and considerate arrangement.  I am sure it does more for one's health than can be imagined.   Will you be in tents, cabins, or recreational vehicles?  It is so nice and am glad you will be able to share in this trip with your husband.  Have lots of fun and enjoy every minute, you both deserve it.  Taking a camera? 

Sometimes we just do not realize how much the outdoors can do for us until we reap the rewards.   I always say, I would like to live in a tree. Paradise

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 28, 2010 7:43 AM

hi zoe,

i agree with zassz! what a wonderful thing to do. the fresh air will be so good for your soul. that and the birds singing and the breezes and the non-sunshine! haha! i love the sun but you are much smarter staying in the shade. better for you. make sure to pack a good book and some fun knitting! and most of all, remember to relax! yeah for you.

happy knitting - and we will miss you while you are out in the great ourdoors and not connected to our chatter!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 8:21 PM

Hi Zoe, 

Zoe:

Hi Andrea and ZassZ

I do like to get away for a bit too.  This year our home hemodialysis support group is renting a camp ground for 8 days.  We will get to go fishing, boating, hiking, swimming, etc.  (Hah, if I can manage it all, then I will!)  This all takes place in August. 

I was sorry to hear about your cancellation on these plans.  Maybe you could take a little short day trip, you and hubby together, just do something or drive somewhere scenic or visit a new place.   You know how important it is to get a little change of scenery, does so much for the morale.  You are such an inspiration!Wilted Flower

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Nov 21, 2010 8:53 PM

I need to finish first choosehottubsdirect and steve barbarich before finalizing our summer activities. Initial destination plans will be in the beach and having campfire. We are also considering mountain climbing or participate outdoor leagues.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS