Zaol knitting pattern

This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jul 6, 2010 8:25 AM

Hi Sharon,

Thank you, you are so kind for those nice words about my granny, not as clever as her, but I try.  Granny rarely used a pattern, I on the otherhand need to. I know what you mean by knitting baby things, they are very quick and easy to knit up.  I have 3 daughters, 25yrs, 18yrs, 12yrs and no grandbabies yet. LOL. I wonder if I will get any from the older two.  The older one breeds horses, warmbloods for dressage and eventing, her first foal (colt) was graded no. 3 in all of Australia this year, she was so proud, they are her passion, she was in a relationship for 5 years but recently broke up, so men are off her list for the moment.    As her dad and I said to her, there is someone for everyone out there, you just have not met him yet.  The middle one is in her first year of medicine and she wants to concentrate on that for time being, and of course the little one is too young to worry about boys.  I am sure that will change later on. 

Nevermind about zaol pattern, I am giving it another couple of months, then if nothing forthcoming, I shall have a go drafting a knitting pattern.  Determined to knit that, I am so in love with it.  Showed it to my niece today and she exclaimed over it as well.  I don't think I have had one negative word about it.  Then Bindi (my niece) saw my finished socks and begged me for a pair, her mum (my sister) said they looked easy and she could probably knit them, so another photocopy was made and sent on its way.  We are experiencing an extremely chilly day/night here, expecting an overnight low of 0, great, bed socks all round.  I have just finished cutting and foiling a client's hair this evening, made me feel warm, it was a lovely choc brown with blond foils scattered throughout.   Do you watch the tv series Glee?  The family are hooked on it, even my husband, lol bless him.  All this time we thought he suffered along in silence but he secretly likes it, he went to work and asked if we could record it for him.  He is such a bloke!

Well I had better sign off, I need to finish another pair of spiral socks for Carlin (my eldest) this time, she needs them for where she lives, Ballarat, which is over an hour away to the west of us, she frequently has days and nights under zero during the winter season, and I am knitting her a pair in a lovely shade of denim blue pure wool.  Happy knitting and keep in touch, lovely to have met you.

Cheers

Trish.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 9:01 AM

good morning trish!

middle of the night for you right now! and another cold one? what is going on? we are so hot and dry here it is terrible. no rain expected till sat - we hope. and mandatory water conservation. no watering lawns, washing cars, etc. i just ripped out lots of grass and planted perennial gardens. i am sneaking around after dark sprinkling a tiny bit just so everything doens't die. fortunately i am not far from the ocean so i can go sit with my feet in the water - under an umbrella of course.

that is so exciting about your daughter and her foal. you must be a proud mama. nice when our hard work pays off and our little darlings do wonderful things, ins't it?

no, i don't watch glee. i hear it is a fun show, but i don't watch too much network tv. i'm usually watching crime drama - you know, trying to  follow the evicence and figure out who done it!  hubby always has sports or ww2 shows on,or the comedy channel.

right now i am working on a lacy bolero in turquoise. it is from the feminine knits book. so many pretty patterns to choose from. i was having a terrible time misreading the pattern. something that looks so simple is really quite difficult. after ripping our and reknitting about 9 times, i have finally got it right - i think, and hope? another knitter friend from nova scotia (andrea w)  has the same book and was kind enough to interpret the pattern for me. my neice is getting married in august in new hampshire - about 8 hours from me in new jersey. she is in the army and is leaving for kuwait for a year in sept. anyway, i am planning to wear the bolero over a sundress, so i am determined to finish it.

sounds like you are knitting lots and lots of socks? you might want to check out the sock thread. andrea w started it and there are a few of us that are chatting and knitting and sharing free sock patterns. lots of fun to discuss what you love to do with others that are like minded. of course it morphs into a "life" thread as you get to know each other better and share what is happenng in your part of the world.  hope to see you over there.

i am still hopeful that the zaol pattern will become available. it appears from my digging around that there are so many knitters out there that know of the pattern and  who would love to make that sweater. patience, patience...we shall see what happens!

stay warm and happy knitting,

sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jul 10, 2010 5:19 AM

Good morning Sharon,

Evening over here, may I say what a day we have had!  Wild wind storms (over 100klm an hour) and rain, goodness me, our poor little dog was beside himself.  Had hairups today, the local secondary college were having a formal dinner dance for year 12 students, poor darlings, ran out of my house to their waiting cars, frantically protecting their hair.  And yesterday, it was bitterly cold, but still and blue skies.  Go figure.  Have not done much knitting yesterday or today, went out for tea last night, was my mum's birthday and we went to a pub in Keilor, it is very quaint with blue stone walls and open fireplaces, we all enjoyed ourselves very much.

Our children are on school holidays at present, and the youngest returns to school Tuesday, Maddie does not resume until 26th this month. We went to Melbourne and saw the Titanic exhibition held in city museum, very informative, but I expected more artifacts, nevermind.  At the entrance you are given a boarding pass with the name and mini biography of an actual passenger, and at the end of the exhibition you check the board to see whether you survived the sinking.  I was extremely glad to say that we all survived.  Your garden sounds lovely, is it flowering now? I love flowers, they make me feel very happy.

Oh your top sounds gorgeous, you must post a picture when you have finished it, turquoise is a beautiful colour. I hope your neice's wedding is wonderful, such a long time to be away, one year, will she be with her husband over there?  You are lucky to live near the beach, that is my husband's retirement plan, me I am not so sure, I love my mountains.

Talk again soon, and happy knitting to you.

Trish

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Lisa Ellis wrote
on Jul 13, 2010 11:27 PM

Hi Trish,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.  I've been busy with gardening which, while fun, sure takes time away from knitting and knitting related things like the internet Computer 

Yes, you are right, BC is British Columbia.  We get snow from November through to April most years, and some of my neighbours get frost every single month of the year!  I lucked out with my place, I'm up on a hill and I guess there is a temperature inversion here because I very rarely get frost in summer.  Still is chilly though.  We got down to 3 degrees Celcius last week during the night!  Our snow is usually not too good for snowmen though because snowmen need warm, sticky snow and ours is usually fluffy and powdery if it isn't crusty and sugary.  We make snowmen in the spring and then they don't last long.

I knit as much as I can.  Daily during the winter, but during the summer I'm lucky to knit every other day.  I LOVE knitting.  I'm a little bit different than you though, If I read you correctly that you knit several projects in the same time.  I'm a finisher.  I knit something and don't start another project until I'm finished.  I find that I'm better at finishing that way! 

I'm almost done the vest.  I only have to sew the seams, tuck the ends, and sew on buttons.  Maybe I will put it in the gallery.  I'm thinking of doing a stocking or two by Jennifer Appleby next.  the pattern is here  http://www.thewoollenearth.com/kit_ja13.php   She used to be a neighbour until she moved to Nova Scotia last year. I've done a few of her patterns and they're a good knit.

Lisa

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jul 30, 2010 5:48 PM

Hi Lisa,

Bit delayed re reply, had succumbed to the dreaded winter lurgy, on the road to recovery.  Kept telling myself I WILL NOT BE SICK!!  Bit hard to avoid it really when I work one day a week at the local primary school.  Bless them, germs haven I call it, slowly but surely all staff are coming down with it.

Yes you are right, I always have several projects on the go.  They eventually get finished.  I just love to knit as well, and get excited when I see a pattern that I must have, I always finish a piece, then move onto next one, finish a piece etc...   This past fortnight I have spent hand quilting whilst snuggled up on sofa.  I made a quilt as a present for my parents, they celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary this year.

My dad is originally from New Zealand and they always go back perioically for family catch ups.  Last time they were there, I asked them to look at fabrics and purchase the fat quarters that captured their attention.  My mum was really excited and wanted to buy out one store's entire fabric stock. My task was then to marry up the fabrics and produce a quilt befitting them.  It has turned out exceptionally well, I think so anyway, my parents loved it and it takes pride of place in their loungeroom, draped over their sofa.

You should place a picture in the gallery, though I haven't placed any as yet.  I had a look at the stocking pattern, it is gorgeous, that is my style of knitting too.  My eldest daughter (25yrs) has decided that she would like to knit, finally!!!  Did teach her when she was very young, however she was reading my People's Friend mag and found a shawl collared vest, knitted in Sirdar Crofter, which is a self patterning fair isle yarn, Carlin fell in love with it and asked me to help her knit it.  So bless her, she has purchased her yarn and we will start it next time she is over.  Actuallly the vest is really simple and pretty to look at, I have decided to purchase some yarn and knit one for myself.   Every time she comes over to stay we can have knit alongs.    My youngest daughter (12yrs) likes anything crafty, she is like a little sponge, always peering over my shoulder wondering what she can do next.   Mallory loves to quilt and we are making a queen bed size quilt for her older sister.  Mind you it is difficult to do because it is a surprise and lately Carlin has been coming home alot to stay. My middle daughter, not so interested, she is in her first year of medicine and plays alot of sport, completely indifferent to anything crafty. Lol, however, she does love to get me sewing or knitting  things for her though.  Maddie loves one of a kind items in her wardrobe, she does have exquisite taste too.  Hence, Mum stitching them up for her.

I  look out at my garden and see our daffodils, tulips and hyaciths peeking their little heads through, cannot wait for Spring to arrive, that is when my front garden is a picture.  Creamy standard roses, lavendar stems, red geraniums, sea side daisies all blooming away.  Outside Mallory's bedroom we made her a fairy garden and in the spring it is absolutely gorgeous, awash with all the beautiful coloured flowers, bordered with English box hedge.  We  have to finish our back garden this year, told my husband it is an absolute must, going to have a Tuscan feel, I think, lots of box hedge borders and silver birch trees and conifers, just love conifers.

Well it is morning over here and I had better move myself, Carlin's friend is coming over to discuss her engagement cake plan with me, she has decided on cupcakes, mudcake ones with blue and white icing.  I love to make them, the artistic streak coming to the fore again.  Lol. Do take care and please keep in touch, it is so nice to make friends who are interested in similar things, and from BC, you are the first person I know who comes from there.

Happy knitting and load of smiles,

Trish

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Lisa Ellis wrote
on Jul 31, 2010 5:34 PM

Hi Trish,

I finished the vest, AND the stocking.  I was sick for a week so I got some knitting done!  I was going to put them in the gallery, but my husband has taken the camera fishing.  I'll have to wait until he's back.

I'm jealous of your weather.  It's 31 degrees in the shade at my place right now.  That's too warm for my northern blood!

I recently saw that Sirdar Crofter yarn in a local yarn shop and I almost bought some.  Next time I go to town I probably will.  I was buying sock yarn last time I was there and didn't quite have the funds to buy both.  The sock yarn I bought is somewhat Fair Isle patterning too.  I got Schoeller Stahl "Fortissima Socka" Wild West colours in colour number 52 http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=5802 .  I just love seeing what happens with the colours when I knit it!

That's neat to knit with your kids.  I have two boys who are more interested in doing "boy things"  but the eldest knit a shawl for his toy bunny rabbit for school last year! 

My granny used to quilt all the time. (she's the one who taught me to knit)  She made the whole family quilts one year.  They are special.  I'm sure that your quilt that you made for your parent's 50th will always be special too.  I'd like to try quilting sometime.  That's one thing I've never tried.  I've done embroidery of all types, drawing, sewing, crochet, etc... but never quilting.

Are you on Facebook?

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jul 31, 2010 8:03 PM

Hi Lisa,

I looked at the link you posted, what gorgeous colours they have, I wonder if that specific yarn is available over here.  Are the socks for yourself? I love yarn that self patterns, makes it look like you have put so much work into, when really you haven't.  LOL.  Yes I am on facebook, under Trish Johnstone or email Hyperno12@bigpond.com.au.  I share the facebook with my youngest daughter Mallory, I feel that she is too young to have one by herself just yet.  I shall look out for a friend request from you. I smiled when I read your post, not cold enough for you?  I love winter too, but when it is near seasons end, I look forward to some sunshine, barbeques with friends, sitting out front in evening with neighbours watching the kids play, street cricket, tennis open, the list goes on. However because it gets so hot over here, knitting is near impossible to do, your hands get too sweaty unless you sit inside with air conditioner on.  No fun in that though.  Evenings are generally cooler, so you can crack out your needles then.

Middle daughter Maddie and I went to a trivia night last night, held at one of our local church halls in Woodend, to help raise funds for the Children of Cambodia Foundation.  We had a ball, some of the questions were a little obscure, especially ones about music.  I am sitting here typing this whilst my dearest husband is vacuuming, wonderful, hehehe!  After the weeding of the fairy garden yesterday, it is looking alittle sad, it needs flowers, so that will be my project for today, buying seedlings.  I think we shall plant snapdragons, primulas, lobelia and pansies.  They sound like flowers that fairies would like to sit under.  The husband is now going to brave the elements and weed the vegie garden, they predict hale and strong winds today.  I would have tackled them yesterday, but I was so tired and couldn't be bothered.  Shame because yesterday was still cold but we had no wind and blue skies. How sweet your son knitting a shawl for his bunny, how old are your children?  I have found a ferret pattern link, it is not a free pattern but it could give you some ideas.  It looks really nice.  www.kaboodle.com/reviews/knit-a-ferret-pdf-pattern  I especially love the little red cape it is wearing.

Look forward to chatting with you again.

Happy knitting,

Trish

I

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pwarrenbaton wrote
on Apr 14, 2013 5:55 PM

Hi, Trishaust.  Have you even had a reply about the Zaol cardigan?  It is a wonderfully unique and flattering pattern. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 1, 2013 6:12 AM

Hello!  I too am searching for this pattern! Did you have any luck finding it?

Shauna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Oct 1, 2013 7:48 AM

hi all,

i never did come across this pattern. so sorry!

i am still very interested so if anyone ever finds it? please keep us posted!

thanks!

sharon

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS