HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 165
marywoods wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 12:43 AM

The cool weather is starting to show up around here as well.  It's been in the low 30's at night and daytime is mid to high 40's,  Time to dig out the headbands and gloves.  With all this hair, I seldom wear hats.  And if you get some rain, send some Eastern Washington State's Way,  Specifically, Eastern Columbia Gorge.  We still have a big fire here and the rain would really be welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 165
marywoods wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 1:18 PM

To All the knitting buddies,

It's been a while since I've been in here.  As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for, well I got rains!!!  Boy did I get rain.  The fire is finally under control and dying out.  Not only did we get rain and are still getting rain, it has snowed twice already.  I guess it's a good thing I got my hats and gloves out and ready to go for the winter.

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 12
MimsyKells wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 2:07 PM

There are even more spry "old folks" who are "hat-aholics." I've seen a lady in the church my mom and I attended who would not come to church ever without a hat on her head. She seemed to be no older than her late sixties, but I'm not the most reliable "forecaster" of age by appearance. I have better luck "time-stamping" people by their mannerisms. But, even that's a "crap shoot."

I can say that when my mom was a little girl, proper Catholic women didn't enter the church without some form of head covering. Mom used to have a beautiful lace...hmm. The only word coming to mind is veil, but I also know that's not what these are called. Kerchief is a little closer, but that's not quite right either.

Anywho. That beautiful piece has been lost, I think, in one of my many moves. So, I want to make Mom--eventually--the hoarfrost mobius that's listed in one of the knitting pattern lists. She'll look so pretty in it. But, I'd want it to be a different color. Any shade of grey just really isn't my mom's thing.

Besides that, Mom needs cheerful things to remind her that life isn't all suffering and sacrifice and betrayal by those she loves most. What better than an airy, colorful mobius to wear to church while she prays for her daughters, as I know she does. Daughters will be daughters and Mom worries about my sister and me. But, that's what moms are for--among a great many other things. And that's why I love her.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 165
marywoods wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 12:57 PM

Dear Mimsy,

Wow, what a reminder.  I grew up Catholic and know exactly what you are talking about.  I don't remember what the small veils are called either, but I have seen them.  I think it is a wonderful idea to make the cowl for your mom.  Enjoy doing those little things for as long as you can because our loved ones leave us soon enough.  I learned the hard way to cherish every moment.  My mother and father passed away over 10 years ago, within 6 months of each other.  They weren't that old and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss them.  Fortunately I have my mom's cedar chest and in there are several quilts she made as well as ones made by my great aunt and grandmother, both of whom passed away many years ago.  The only real regret I have is not taking the time to learn to tat from my mom or grandmother.  I have several of my mom's tatting shuttles and the fine thread she used.  Someday I will sit down and learn to do it before the arthritis in my thumbs gets too bad. 

As for your mom's mobius cowl, I would choose a soft blush pink or maybe a sky blue or cream.  Unless she is like my mom and likes bright colors.  It seemed like with my mom, the older she got, the brighter the colors she liked.  One of the last hats and scarves I made for her was bright purple and fushia.  She loved it.

Anyway, whatever color you choose, I'm sure your mom will love it. 

Take care,

Mary

Ravenwood Designs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 1:09 PM

Hi Mary,

So glad you planned ahead and have some nice warm hats and gloves.  It's been awhile since I've been here too.  Staying warm by your fire and working on your d's wedding shawl?  Hope you are enjoying your knitting. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bujupaj22 wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 4:30 AM

I really agree with you Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 5:24 PM

Hi Mary,

Just read your post re your coins on the d's wed shawl & twin set for you to wear to the wedding.  So glad you are doing something for yourself as well.  What color are you wearing and what colors for the wedding theme?  So excited for you! Yippee!  I saw the Gloss in natural and I saw a Tanguis in 70/30 cotton linen blend and a Shine Sport but not sure it's the same one you mention.  I saw on their site the "Ruffle Purse"  It looks like a pretty white bag with rufles, gold chain, looks felted.  I think his would be a nice gift possibly for a bride to be.  Wink  http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Ruffle_Purse__D12225220.html   Not that you don't have enough to do already.  I am sure you will get it everything done you need to.  So happy to hear from you again.  xoxox 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 37 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  33 34 35 36 37 | RSS