HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 7:09 PM

My mind is on my HAT collection again.  I know cool weather is a long way off and I really AM enjoying my summer.  At the same time, I do feel a yearning for my lovely, crazy hats.  They are so much fun to wear and fun to do, whether knit in the round or sideways.  Even in summer here, you can get wear out any time of year near the water, once the suns sets and the winds come up.  It can be quite cool up the coastline, even in California. 

Wink  I say you can never have too many hats.  They can say alot, without a whole lot of effort, compared to some larger projects. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 7:28 PM

Hey there ZassZ,

Love the hat thingy too, only one problem, I can't stand a hat on my head!  (I take after my grandmother in that regard).  But there is this 90 yr old lady at church who never goes anywhere without one of her own knitted hats on her head.  My Mom told me today that Mary had knit another 3 hats and was now knitting scarves to go with each one.  Mary will wear which ever set suits her at the time!  She will knit up some mittens to go with them.

Did you get the book about hats from the HURT sale?  I didn't but hear that it is quite the hat book.  Where do you take your patterns from and are they all knit hats or do you crochet some too?   All kinds of free hat patterns at this site:  http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php

My hats off to you, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 4:51 PM

Hi to you to Zoe, 

Oh girl, you just try to get me OUT of the hat department at any store, they just really attract my attention.  I still have some hats from when I was a child.  It seems I passed the love of hats down to my daughter too.  I am so glad about that because she wears them really well.  I can relate to the lady you spoke about who does her hats and scarves to match.  I have done a few matching sets as well. 

I get my hat patterns from anywhere I see one I like.  I have also been to knitting pattern central.  What is the name of the book on hats from the sale?  I also make up many of my own hat patterns and I do crochet as well.  In fact, I learned to crochet before I learned to knit.  My grandmother taught me to crochet..   

I guess I am the opposite as far as you and socks go because I am barefoot or sandal footed every chance I get.  Occasionally, I do have to wear stockings with some shoes but when I don't, I just love being bare feet.  Wink  But I do love looking at socks and have many in my drawer, brand new with the tags still on.  I give them away sometimes. 

Zoe I can sincerely say, my socks off to you too!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 9:12 AM

hi zassz,

i just finished a summer hat. fun to do with a little bit of lacy pattern. i'm at the beach often in the summer and wear a hat to protect my face. of course the rest of my body is in the sun, but my face will be saved! haha! here it is if you are interested. i did it in taupe. just have to get the wire around the edge and i am done and ready to wear.

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/windansea/windansea.html

what is your fav hat pattern?

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 1, 2010 1:59 AM

Hi Yoama,

A very nice hat.  Did you do it in the Berroco Seduce yarn and did it require all of the 2 hanks?  I did a hat and scarf awhile back in Berroco Duo in Nero and a shrug in the same yarn but in color Naturalle.  It's a self sriping yarn.  Kept me nice and warm and yarn is very pliable and soft when knit up.  I will have to get the name of the pattern out of the book tomorrow - it's in my drawer.  Also did a beret using  Berroco Heather Mohair in grey.  A pink beret also.  Berroco web site has a very nice set up.  I think I find the Lion Brand site a bit more difficult to get patterns from.  Some of my favs I think are of the Vogue hat patterns - have you seen any of them? 

The shrug is in the Reader Photo Gallery on page 8 but the picture isn't that good.  Are you putting your hat up in the Gallery? 

Tomorrow I'll get out some of the other patterns for you.  Thanks for sharing your hat I really like it.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 1, 2010 2:38 AM

hi yogama again,

The Vogue Holiday 2008 Meg Swansen's Seven Rib Shell Hat in cream & the Cathy Carron very basic Floppy Toque in orange.  Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 16, 2010 7:59 PM

yogama,

Have you had a chance to see that Seven Rib Shell Hat yet?  I noticed a few of her patterns listed in Interweave Knit Fall I believe it was. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 17, 2010 2:35 PM

I was just at the Berroco site again and looked at the windansea hat you did.  Did you mean by the taupe color that you did it in Earthstone?  That was the closest to taupe I could see.  I am wondering how you liked the way it turned out in the color you used.  I am considering it in the Graphite, or  Absinthe or  Mariner would be my third choice. 

Did you get the wire in yet? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 18, 2010 2:23 PM

hi zassz,

sorry it took me awhile to get back to you! it has beenr eally hot here and we have been trying to conserve a/c and shut up the office, which is where my computer is.

i do like the shell hat - so unusual. did you say you were making it?

i did finish my windansea hat this weekend. got the wire in. i bought the guage the pattern required at michael's craft store. i would go a little heavier as it does bend easily. sicn you are a crocheter, you will have no trouble. i thought i was doing it right, but then took it apart and started again and realized this time i did it right.

my color is seduce yarn #4436 which is rye (taupe). that's what the label says. i like your graphite also. the others might be a bit bright and limit what you can wear it with. i almost wore mine to the beach today but it was so hot i thought i would pick a cooler day to experiment. so i wore my trusty straw hat!

i used almost 2 skeins for the hat. there is a little left, enough to do some trim on something else?

i saw you posted the lace stockings for zoe. took a peak and they are gorgeous. looks like a real challenge. did you get the pattern online or from the actualy magazine? i might have to buy that one. my new passion is lace knitting. i bought estonian lace knitting by nancy bush at the hurt book sale and i love it. i have a few prjects lined up now, but as soon as i am done i am going to tackle a shawl. wish me luck! haha!

stay cool and happy knitting!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 18, 2010 4:14 PM

Hi there Yoagma, 

We've been doing the similar trying to conserve power, using the rooms on the north side when the sum finally comes round to the west side. 

Yes, I really am going to make the shell hat.  I just thought it was unique and classic looking and love the color it was done in too. 

The windansea is just so nice and airy looking.  It seems it would keep your head cool by allowing some breeze to circulate while shading your face with the nice brim.  Thanks for the info on the wire installation.  I see they pulled the #4436 color off the site.  I can get a good idea though from your description and I imagine it looks real pretty in that good color.  I like taupe.  It goes with so much.  It is always nice to have a bit of yarn left to use on some trim. 

Glad you like the lace stockings.  I got the pattern from the magazine.  But is available as a pdf.  Just go to  http://www.vogueknitting.com/charts/spring_summer_2009.aspx   It's listed as #31 Lace Stockings.  I hope you can make them since your new passion is lace knitting.  I saw the Estonian Lace Shawl here and simply incredible looking!  You are talented!

Sharon, please do not worry about the time, it often goes by faster than we wish it to.  We do have busy lives and it feels so sweet to know we will eventually catch up to each other here.  I will wish you the very best with your "laces" and happy knitting always! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 19, 2010 8:57 AM

good morning zassz!

i think you will be happy with the shell hat, very different and fun to make. the seduce yarn for the windansea is really pretty and i would like to make a top from it some day. very sikly feel with little nups through it. nice feel to it.

thanks for the pdf on the lace stockings. i didn't realize it was 2009 vogue! good thing i re-read it. you can imagine my confusion if i actually bought the magazine and then could not find the pattern? since i KNOW it is in there as you sent it to me? haha! i am intrigued but wonder how they would actually fit? there would nee to be some stretch for them to easo over the calves and thighs? hmmmmm........i think i may have to investigate this.

i know what you mean about life being busy. plus i put so much pressure on myself with different projects and deadlines. i plan ahead, but somehow life still gets in the way of my good intentions! in my next life i will be a kept woman and able to do whatever i want with my time and energy. sounds fantastic doens't it? but i would be so bored after while........

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 20, 2010 4:32 PM

Hi Yogama, 

Your welcome.  I check the description again and it says that "Sheer elastic woven through the top edge keeps things in place."   The patterns uses (3) 20 oz. hanks Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock.  Hope this helps. 

What are you working on now? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 20, 2010 7:31 PM

hi zassz,

thanks for that tidbit, now i know what yarn to buy! i really think i may have to tackle these stockings. think i will knock my hubby's socks off? haha!

right now i am trying to follow through and finish a hooded, cabled baby coat for my neice's baby shower. i did take a break today and worked on some beading. i also bead but love knitting more - more relaxing for me. anyway, i bead pink ribbon pins and volunteer at an inn which offers respite to women going through cancer treatment, specifically breast cancer. a chance to get away from hubby and kids and be around women who really understand and can offer some quiet, healing time. good for the soul. anyway, tomorrow a new guest arrives and i am bringing lunch and comfort.

as soon as i am done with the baby coat i really want to get into some serious lace knitting. not sure what - a haapsula shawl or those lace stockings!

how about you? what's on your needles?

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 21, 2010 10:10 PM

hi yogama,

Yeah girl, I am sure you really will knock "his" socks off!  That is too funny, I am really laughing.  I hope you make them, they are beautiful. 

I too have a project started that I need to finish, which is a medium size blanket for a gift.  In the meantime,  I have taken a little bit of a break by doing some cuff bracelet patterns, they are quick.  Then when they are all done (I'm doing a few sets) then I plan to do the Seven Rib Shell Hat and I also have the Big Montana Tunic from Interweave Knit Fall 2009 which I have to download the pattern for.   Then the Lutz & Patmos vest, which I really love.   I think that's enough for now? 

Nice to hear about your volunteering and I hope all goes well for your lunch.  Love to hear what you're going to decide on.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 22, 2010 7:03 AM

hi zassz,

need you advice on yarn selection please. i went to the lorna's laces sight to check the shepherd sock yarn. it is so beautiful, but appears to fade from one color to another? i did not see any plain. i'm thinking the stockings should be made in white or a soft off white/ivory. i'm suer you heard that old joke about men vs women. men see white or tan, women see white, off white, ecru, beige, sand, taupe, ivory.......anyway i'm thinking with the lace pattern, a yarn that is different colors might not be the best choice? thanks!

are the cuff bracelets the free pattern from interweave? i did download those and showed them to my daughter (20) and she liked them. i thought they looked cute and fun, and added them to my pile of things to do someday. may just have to pull it out and take another look. what colors are you doing them in?

what is the lutz and patmos vest? i need to check that out! as soon as i am done with this post or i will lose it! i have the baby coat to finish. i also made the free dowload pattern of lacy sachets for my neice's wedding in end aug. i knitted the lacy bags and then left them. time to finish, which means sewing simple muslin bags and stuffing with lavendar or something like that, then tying closed with pretty ribbon and maybe some beads and crystals to jazz it up a bit. i really want to finish these both so i can move onto the next interesting thing. which might just be something lace from my new book from the hurt book sale!

lunch was really nice and i am so happy i went. the woman is having a tough time dealing with all her chemo and not feeling well. she needed to be around like minded women for some support and release. hubbies and kids can only do so much for you. she went home happier and more relaxed, so all is good.

happy knitting and let me know what you think my choice should be for those stockings!

sharon

Page 1 of 37 (547 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS