HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 11:22 AM

hi zoie,

i am with you on the cowls. i think i would like better than hats myself. the one i did for my daughter is the classic elite yarns fresco basket whip cowl that was a free download pattern that andrea w shared. it calls for us sz 7 (4.5mm) needles and 120 st cast on. it does have a lacy pattern so that may be the reason for so many stiches? it is loose around the neck as a cowl, but it must be loose in order to pull up over your head. finished measurements are 32" around and 18 3/4" high if that helps. you could do a swatch in the stitch and yarn you want and then figure out how wide you need to make it? maybe take a scarf and make a loop and see how loose it has to be to fit over your head? you dont want it too tight. that would annoy me! good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

happy knitting and creating! and thanks for that cowlgirl book info. i have to check that out!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 11:45 AM

hi again zoe and sorry for mispelling your name in last post! my typos hard at work there!

just saw another one you might be interested in, although not sure you can pull over your head.

www.redheart.com  -  go to search and type in LW2350. looks fun!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 2:26 PM

Hi Sharon,

I have started the cowl!  and I am using 120 stitches simply because I already had some garter stitch knitting done on these needles.  It was to origionally be a baby blanket and I never frogged it.  So I am knitting this 120 stitch cowl in three or four colors -- wide stripes and since it was supposed to be a baby blanket, I will kitchener the two ends together when I am done! 

I will go and check out the other link to red heart for the cowls there.  No problems with the name spelling.  Yesterday when I was typing a post, my computer went crazy and started typing in italics.  I couldn't undo it!  Computers really are not knitters like us!!!

We are all snow bound today and won't get dug out for a while I suppose.  The snowplow broke down in front of our house this morning.  Plow trucks and front end loaders ended up clearing the streets! hehe  We are to get lots more snow before this blizzard is over.

Stay safe, warn, and knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 3:12 PM

yeah zoe!

so proud of you. isn't it great when you come up with your own pattern? yours sounds wonderful. you could add some big buttons down the front also. that seems to be a fashion item now. i did look at the cowlgirls book. got an email that vogue is having 35% off and free shipping through the weekend. sent it to hubby and asked for it for christmas. yeah. more knitting in 2011!

wow! you are snowed in? that is crazy that the plow broke down in front of your house. a good excuse for a cup of tea and a sit on the couch with a fire going. strictly medicinal mind you. nothing in this for you. haha! hope you don't get too much more snow. enough already and it has only started the season!

when you check red heart, i think i was looking at the pattern wrong. looks like a long scarf and not a cowl. the pattern could be tweaked to make it a cowl. more fun that way. i'm tired of scarves!

happy knitting and stay warm!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 9:12 PM

Hi Zoe,

Zoe:

When you do up your cowls, about how big around are they?  I haven't knit one before and I don't want to make it too tight for my head when I "pull" it up over my ears.  This one recommends you cast on 80 stitches and using a 4.5 or 5 mm needle.  Does that sound right? or should I cast on more stitches?  would it hurt to cast on more? 

I did my cowl with size 9, 16" circulars.  Cast on 115 stitches.  The pattern called for size 8's with a 90 stitch cast on but that was too small.  I tried 120, too big.  115 just right with the test yarn I used which was #4 Weight  Lyon Brand Vanna's Choice which recommended a needle size 9 for a 4x4 swatch over 16sts  22 rows.

I really think you need to use bigger needle if yarn allows and cast on more stitches.  What gauge yarn were you using? 

It said to work until piece measures approx. 14 1/2" and then end with 3 k rounds, 1 p round, bind off.  With that incl. in measurements my piece measures 15" .  The circle circumference is 26" around.   Or folded, measures 13" across.  My neck is long but when pulled up over my head it fits just right.  You may need to take into consideration your neck length as well.  I hope this helps you get the right fit for yours. 

I can also wear it with a hat underneath if I just want it around my neck, and I have also pulled it up over my hat as well.  It gets really damp around here at night and early morning.   

I was going to take a pic of it but it was very foggy this morning.  Light wasn't good. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 10:00 PM

Hi Zoe, 

I decided to try taking the shade off the lamp to get more light to take these pics so I wouldn't make you wait til tomorrow. 

Not real clear but will this help you out a little?  I used Lyon Brand and I think you are pretty familiar with that yarn. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 10:05 PM

Hi ZassZ.

The cowl I am knitting should be about 30" long.  I was considering making it 12" thick??  I shall measure as I go along and if it needs to be made thicker/deeper than that, then I shall knit some more!  If it doesn't pull snug enough around my face, I could possibly put a crocheted tie threaded through one side or just pull it "closed" with a clip??  We shall have to explore these things.

I don't think I have a long neck, just a medium one???  No one has mentioned my neck before so I haven't thought of it.

I am using Bernats acrylic yarn and a #4 weight.  Using 5mm 24" circular needles.  It is knitting up fairly quickly with the larger needles so I should get it done in a few days.  Just doing a garter stitch knit because I have no thought of any complicated stitch work right now.  But garter stitch I can do.

Keep warm down there cause up here it is cold cold cold and windy and snowing!  (this is Canada, eh?)  hehe Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 10:33 PM

Hi Zoe, 

Brrrrhh! !  That sounds good as far as length and did you mean 12" across?  So if you spread it in a circle the circumference would be 24" around?  The cord is a good idea.  My pattern had one but I didn't need it.  Just an I-cord, a clip or even a button.  Yarn weight is the same and you are using a 5 mm = 8 u.s. so slightly smaller than my 9 but I was knitting in rounds and you are doing flat so it sounds pretty close.   Did you scroll up above I just put these pics up after my last post to you.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 20, 2010 10:47 AM

Hi ZassZ,

Your cowls are very nice and practical looking.  Love your color choices!!!.  The 12" I was talking about is from the top edge to the bottom edge.  I may have to make it this 15".  The circumference would be about 30" around.

My next cowl, I am going to use the brioche stitch pattern and knit back and forth and make it the same size or close to it.

Cold out again this morning.  Friend came and plowed out our driveway.  He has a plow blade on his truck and does friends' driveways.

I shall go out and feed my birds that are coming to the feeders.  We have a bunch of pine grosbecks that arrived the other day.  They will be one of the flocks we fed all last winter.  Will put up some suet for the woodpeckers.

Stay warm and knit up a bunch, cowling on!  Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 22, 2010 2:25 PM

ZassZ:

in measurements my piece measures 15" .  The circle circumference is 26" around.   Or folded, measures 13" across.

Hi Zoe,

I think your measurements should work out fine.  It's pretty much a mirror of my measurements above and my cowl fits just right, as I said.  I like the idea of the Brioche stitch and will make it really nice and warm.  And as you said you can make adjustments as you go along and see how it is fititng.  Let me know how it is coming along.  Smile  What are you up to today?  Oh so glad you are feeding the little birds.  They need extra help now.  Weather here was pouring rain Sat. eve. early Sun. it sounded like Niagara Falls was outside my door.  Not kidding.  Today is clear & sunny but the air is like icicles.  Cold air from Alaska coming down all along the coast and we are getting more rain tomorrow.  It's 59 now, so it has warmed up now (afternoon).  I feed them here too. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 30, 2010 2:19 PM

Hi All, 

Well I've missed being here for about ten days or so.  How are you doing?  I've been reading the recent posts and it seems like everyone else has been pretty much away as well. 

Zoe:

Hi ZassZ,

I shall go out and feed my birds that are coming to the feeders.  We have a bunch of pine grosbecks that arrived the other day.  They will be one of the flocks we fed all last winter.  Will put up some suet for the woodpeckers.

Stay warm and knit up a bunch, cowling on!  Zoe Smile

I have been feeding the squirrels and birds too.  Giving squirrels some pecans and walnuts.  I noticed our hawk ot hunting again a few days ago I caught site of her resting on top of an antenna eating something she had caught.  I was able to get a good look at her because she was feeding but she was eyeing me too.  How is the cowl coming Zoe, did you finish yet? 

How are you Yogama, and what is new?  LindaB48 what in the world have you been doing?  Had a vacation?  How are you Andrea?   SusanD@51, I wanted to ask how your daughter's wedding went?  I see your back now too.  Tephra, what are you knitting up? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Nov 30, 2010 3:45 PM

hi all!

so happy to hear from you zassz! i seemed to have lost my hats crazy link and was patiently waiting for an email! actually it was only this am that i tried to post and realized i could not. searched through back posts and could not find us! learned my lesson and now i will save to my favs. hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving - or just a nice day if you are not from the states.

we had a crazy time. 2 weeks ago we were to visit friends in siesta key fla and had to cancel as i got sick. no fun there. hubby had elbow surgery couple of weeks ago and mon before thanks we went back to doc to get stitches out. the elbow was a little puffy so doc drew off 30 cc's of fluid and made a splint for him to keep the elbow imobilized. tues night he started feeling crummy and was in bed wed. very unlike him - he usually soldiers on. wed night around 8 he decided to shower and maybe feel better. took off the splint and it was so red and huge and swollen. not good. and in 24 hours as he had showered the day before and i had rewrapped the splint. so, off we went to the emergency room. they gave him antibiotic iv and admitted him. there went our plans to visit our son who moved to virginia. we spent thanksgiving in the hospital. nice and quiet though. the staff was all in a good mood and he was lucky enough to get a private room. i took my knitting and we lounged and watched the whole parade and then a dog show. not so bad after all. the good news is he was back at the doc yesterday and he is on the mend. we are heading to virginia this weekend for a belated visit. we sure know how to have fun in this family! haha!

i have had a lot of down time the last couple of weeks so i am in very good shape with my christmas knitting. finished 3 sets of mittens and cowls, 3 hats for 3 young men, working on a knitted cap for neice, have another couple of things i want to get done. plus some great ideas to start on after christmas! i'll take pics and hopefully get them posted - although we know how bad i am at that. my camera is full of wonderful, completed projects!

so? how is everyone else doing?

happy knitting!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 1, 2010 9:05 AM

Hi Yogama,

So happy to hear from you  Missed you girl ! !  Really was thinking you were off having a ball doing all your fun stuff.  As I read on I see that wasn't the case.  I am so sorry.  Yes, it's to be expected to have a little swelling but not the dreaded "red".  A good thing you took him back right away to emergency.  Poor guy, ohhh no!  They don't deserve to suffer, they work so hard taking care of family and responsibilities.  But the good news is your husband is doing better now?   A friend of mine recently hospitalized for a serious infection she contacted.  Had to hospitalized in isolation for a full week on iv's and she was in seriously bad shape.  After she was released, still had 2 more rounds of 2 different antibiotics for 2 whole weeks each.   So that's roughly a month on meds.  The good news is that when she went to her doc not feeling right he knew right away what it was and hospitalized her which saved her life.  So good he is better, sure he'll want to rest alot though, makes you tired fighting off stuff. 

Well you have been busy too and that is way good.  I know you all must have been disappointed but re-scheduling your visit now may be easier to travel.  Look forward to seeing your finished projects.  I am trying hard to stay well, keep walking and eating healthy.  More natural and whole grain foods.  Always looking for good new ways to eat healthy.  Talk to you soon.  Need to print some invoices for my hubby and go to post office.  Then see what you are all up to back here later.    Take CARE!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 7:40 AM

good morning zass,

hubby is much, much better and thanks for your concern. those infections can get out of control very easily. his elbow is almost back to normal now. he still has to wear a splint until the doc on mon, and has another 2 weeks of antibiotic - but all is well now. cold and crisp here today. love this weather. gets me in the holiday mood. i was in nyc yesterday to see the play promises promises. it was really amazing. then a nice dinner and home. such a nice surprise when i got back. my daughter had gone into the attic and pulled down all the boxes and decorated for me. yeah. and such a gift. i dread that. love having it done, but don't like doing it. she was at work when i got home so i sent her a text thanking her. really such a nice surprise. i am going out shopping this afternoon. i'd like to get all the gifts wrapped and under the tree so i can relax, bake and listen to christmas music. how is your shopping going? and are you driving? hoping your foot is much better now!

enjoy your day,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 4, 2010 6:04 PM

Zoe:

Hi ZassZ and Yogama,

Cathy Carron's cowls that are on the Vogue Knitting site are likely all in her book Cowlgirls.  The book I mentioned that a review was done in the KnitSimple magazine.  There is a matching set of red knitted winter accessories featured in the magazine.  One of the red knitted items is a cowl and since most of these winter accessories have got cables in them, you might find them interesting to look over.

Hi Zoe and Yogama,

I picked up the KnitSimple Holiday 2010 and saw the review of Carron's cowls.  Thanks for mentioning them to me Zoe.  I think it might be a good idea to get her book for my collection.  Also liked the headwarmer on p. 31.  Zoe you may consider it cause you don't like covering your whole head but this one keeps your ears covered from the wind.  Did you see the cute slippers?  Sarting on page 50 the 3 little owls, fox, rabbit & hedgehog are really adorable.  Yogama, that is a cowl (#6) and a scarf (#7) on the guy model that are done in the same reds.  You might like.  

Page 24 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  22 23 24 25 26  Next >  ... Last » | RSS