How to make short sleeves from a sleeveless pattern ?

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
TexasL wrote
on May 24, 2008 7:34 PM

I would so love to know how to do it !!! We live in a hot climate (i.e. Texas) where air conditionning is in constant use inside our homes and all public buildings. Short sleeves would be so much more comfortable in these refrigerated places !

There are so many cute sleeveless patterns of summer tops .Just dont know how to add a short sleeve.

Most short sleeved patterns are not quite as hip as the sleeveless ones that I see....so I would love to be able to convert.

Can anyone help ?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
ElizaH wrote
on May 25, 2008 1:26 AM

I can imagine that you want sleeves- nothing so terrible as getting into the cold AC from the hot outdoors. I have a friend who always knits her sweaters with the body first, and then joins the shoulder. Then she picks up stiches from the armhole and knits the arm from the top down. There are patterns for sweaters that are knitted top down, without seams, if you don't feel comfortable in doing in freehand - try it out and see what you think! The sleeve itself is fast-knitting, so you can try some variations without getting totally frustrated, I should think.

Good luck,

ElizaH

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
AimeeR wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 1:07 PM

Since I hate sewing sweaters together, I've fallen in love with picking up stitches at the shoulder and knitting the sleeve down on a circular needle.  That might work for you.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
AimeeR wrote
on Jul 15, 2008 1:10 PM

One more thing - if you're knitting from the shoulder down, use short rows to make the top of the sleeve longer than the underside.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS