My favourite book/s are....

This post has 24 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
PrincessG wrote
on May 24, 2008 7:53 PM

The knitting bible ( i got it as a gift after begging my mum to let me get it instead of a silly novel i'll never read)

and The idiots guide to Knitting. my dad saw this book and thought of me.... how sweet! LOL

i read these all the time! they have wonderfull patterns and tips in them! i love the lace patterns. Simple but elegant!

still no book or mag in the world beats Knitting Daily!

i rushed onto KD this mornign and have been on it for hours. Talk about a devotee! LOL

whats your fav book?

xoxo

PrincessG         

Dont take people for granted, beacuse one day you will realise you have lost a diamond while you were too buysing collecting stones....

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Donna M wrote
on May 24, 2008 9:47 PM

I have gotten two books.I have teach yourself visually knitting and knitting for dummies.I like the pictures in the teach yourself visually knitting.Bright and bold colors as well as great pictures.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Lorene wrote
on May 25, 2008 6:30 AM

I'm still in love with Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann for fun projects and good basic information.

The Favorite Socks book from Interweave Press is beautiful but I love doing socks from the toe up on ML so the patterns must be converted before knitting them. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
Rebecca S wrote
on May 27, 2008 7:54 AM

My favorite books are:

Spin to Knit, and Start Spinning which bolstered my passion for spinning

Felted Knits  - the best felting book ever

Knitter's Stash - I will eventually make every project

Bag Style - because you can never have too many bags - especially handmade ones!

Folk Socks - began my passion for sock knitting with this little gem.  I love the stories and history included with the patterns.

Folk Shawls - I love so many of these I can't decide which ones to make!

Artic Lace - I know, I know, its not an Interweave book, but the author Donna Druchanas has written for Interweave Knits and Piecework - its an incredible book -great history, beautiful patterns and lace making techniques that simplify the art of knitting lace.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Webigail wrote
on May 28, 2008 5:18 PM

I cannot narrow it down to just one :P

1. Anything by Elizabeth Zimmerman: Knitter's Almanac, etc.

2. Anything by Barbara G. Walker. I own the first two of the Treasury series and Knitting from the Top Down.

3. The Nicky Epstein Trilogy: Knitting on the Ede, Knitting Over the Edge and Knitting Beyond the Edge.

4. Maggie Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
AnnieS wrote
on May 28, 2008 5:38 PM

My current favorites are:

Kristin Knits (Kristin Nicholas)--I love the color combinations-I taught myself two handed fair isle and then was immediately disappointed with the patterns. Not so with this book!

Runway Knits (Berta Karapetyan)--The images are beautiful and the patterns are interesting.

And of course, any issue of Interweave Knits. I save (hoard) them and look at them for inspiration.

Annie

Not Ranked
Posts 9
KathyS wrote
on May 31, 2008 10:23 AM

Thank you everyone.  I am just back into Knitting and trying to catch up.  This is a great help in solving my problem of which books to start purchasing.  Now if someone can help me with something for adult men that would be a plus.  Thank you, Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
on Jun 2, 2008 10:11 PM

Great to hear what books you love.  I am very interested in The Twisted Sisters Knit Sweaters but cannot find a copy to look at.  It seems I will have to make up my mind whether to order it over the net sight unseen.  Has anyone used this book.  Does it work for simple folk who are not mathematicians?  I would love to hear of anyone's experience.

I particularly want to say thanks to Amy and Nicole for getting me connected at last.  I can happily leave the computer and go back to my knitting now.

Margaret

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
JoezGal wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 1:52 PM

Hmmm... this is a toughie because I have an extensive (read HUGE) knitting library, but here goes:

I love Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience books (The Knit Stitch, The Purl Stitch, Color)

Ditto Nicky Epstein (Knitting on the Edge, ...Over the Edge, ... Beyond the Edge); the woman is genious!

Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook

When it comes to socks, pretty much anything by Nancy Bush (Knitting on the Road, Folk Socks, Knitting Vintage Socks)

I have several of the Best of Interweave books (Jackets, Socks, etc.) and I really like those. And no I'm not just saying that because the Knitting Daily website is sponsored by Interweave Press.Wink

When others speak ill of you, live so none will believe it.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Jana wrote
on Jul 10, 2008 1:36 PM

The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd helped me to figure out how to knit a pair of gloves that fit comfortably.

Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush has pages of interesting and fascinating history about knitting. The patterns are great too. I have enjoyed trying out the different ways to knit heels and toes.

The knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe.  I recommend this book to every knitter. It is excellent.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CherylT wrote
on Jul 11, 2008 7:35 AM

Mine are

California Girls

Loop D Loop

Bumper book of knitting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
SherryP wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 5:40 AM

Elizabeth Zimmerman and Barbara Walker are my favorites, too! I'm knitting the baby sweater from February (I think) in her Knitter's Almanac right now. I've lost count of the number of times I've made Baby's Surprise Jacket from her Knitter's Workshop. It's a great simple, quick gift for family or friends' babies. I have Barbara Walker's first two Treasuries, too, if I could remember where I laid the first volume! Tongue Tied

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Aug 16, 2008 9:34 PM

I really like weekend knitting and holiday knits.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Aug 24, 2008 7:41 AM

My favorites are the Ann Budd series on Basic Designs. I have her Book of Sweater Patterns and Knitting Socks.

She has the basic design in different gauges and some variations on a theme. It allows me to either modify and play to my heart's content or just do sweet and simple.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Marimi wrote
on Sep 5, 2008 2:26 PM

Hello,

mine are Folk shawl

knitter almanac

and i've got a bunch of stitches books

usually i do not like buying books because inside them there is always only one or two pattern i really like, and i don't really want to invest for the whole book, so the pdf download is great option

Bon tricot

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS