what do you like to do?

This post has 46 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
PrincessG wrote
on May 24, 2008 8:44 PM

i enjoy sitting back and relaxing to music or reading a nice book. or i'll hang with my friends. we usually go to the plaza. ( once i drag myself away from my stash! )

i would love to know all the different things you do when you eventually manage to pull yourself away from the yarn and needles. LOL

xoxo

PrincessG         

Dont take people for granted, beacuse one day you will realise you have lost a diamond while you were too buysing collecting stones....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Terry Morris wrote
on May 24, 2008 10:43 PM

"...away from the yarn and needles..".? Oh, there's always a little knitting project tucked into my bag. You never know when you have to wait in line, traffic lights, whatever.

Other than knitting, I explore wherever I am that day. As I live on a sailboat and cruise along the coast of mainland Mexico and Baja California, I'm in new places every few days. I just like to walk around the little towns - or remote islands, swim, snorkel, drink beer in a beach palapa (thatched roof restaurant). Sure wish there were more knitters to hang with though. I miss the knitterly chat & giggles.

Terry  http://www.sailingknitter.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LuanneH wrote
on May 25, 2008 3:32 AM

What a fabulous life you lead.  I live at the opposite end of the US - in Maine.  I have freinds that sail the Maine coast - which is beautiful if you ever want a change in scenery.  Maybe someday I will have adventures like you - but today - with three in college - my adventure is watching my three awesome children mature in to  young adults.

Hope you have beautiful sailing weather today - we are off to spend the day on the water - but in a canoe (and on a lake - not the ocean).

Luanne 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Lorene wrote
on May 25, 2008 6:58 AM

away from yarn & needles, thread & hooks?  hard to get me completely away from them.  before the price of gas got so high (I drive a relatively economic vehicle getting around 25mpg) I loved to go exploring -- pick a highway out of town then turn off on a road I've never been on before.  follow that road until I see another interesting one.  sometimes I'd end up at or near a nice lake or river and could find a good spot to relax with that knitting or crocheting I had carefully tucked away before starting out.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on May 25, 2008 7:56 AM

Good question. Most of the time my child, the household chores, and ,of course, work keep me from needles and yarn. Well, but if something really can drag me away from a knitting project apart from family and friends it's a painting I am working on, or a very good book.

Oh, and gardening - I love digging my hands into the soil. Wink 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 290
Editor
KD Sandi wrote
on May 25, 2008 12:42 PM

Terry the sailing knitter:

Can I come live with you on your boat? Sounds like heaven to me....!!! Sun, ocean, waves. Little towns. Seafood dinners. Margaritas.

Oh, wait. I can't come live with you on your boat. I have to stay here with my adorable husband, my smiling dog, and my loving 3 cats. Plus there's this whole Knitting Daily gig I sort of have to do every day ;)

Sigh.

Well. It is a nice thought, and I shall think of you sailing and knitting when I need a mental break, how's that?

With you in spirit,

KD Sandita

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Terry Morris wrote
on May 25, 2008 4:52 PM

It's rough, but somebodys got to do it. Thank goodness for internet so I can keep up with all the knitting news whenever we're near a WiFi signal.

Good idea to keep the adorable husband, dog, and cats and the job with a subject you actually like. Those are all important to being happy. I've often said I would live anywhere as long as I had my still-cute husband with me. The cruisiing lifestyle was MY idea - thank goodness he loves it too!

Maybe someday you WILL come visit - OK? Next year, Costa Rica and Panama!

Terry - sailing south to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow to meet a vacationing knitting friend - yippeeee!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JacquelineV wrote
on May 25, 2008 6:53 PM

I like listening to music or reading (but sometimes a character in the books knits-- I don't even plan it that way) a lot.  My girlfriends and I all go to different colleges so I hang out with them during school breaks.  Usually I work or hang out with my cute close friend at the store we work at.  But he's an enabler and encourages the knitting so I'm not always yarnfree when I'm with him.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
PrincessG wrote
on May 26, 2008 1:49 AM

wow... i was gone for a few hours and all these wonderfull posts came in..

yes i must admitt.. i usually bring my knitting or crochet with me.. a few times my parents have managed to go through my bag and take t out only leaving me bored half way through my trip.. grr.. so because they do that i spend an hour at the nearest craft store and buy new things.. heh heh heh.. gosh they must love me soooo much.. Stick out tongue

Terry,  the sailing trip sounds wonderful! my mum doesnt like sailing because she ends up getting sick.. but i cant get enough of it! one day i'll have a boat of my own...

xoxo

PrincessG         

Dont take people for granted, beacuse one day you will realise you have lost a diamond while you were too buysing collecting stones....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
TygherKnits wrote
on May 26, 2008 6:24 AM

Wow, Terry! That sounds like a glorious life! My husband has this dream of doing something similar, though he'd prefer to go more Mediterranean.  After our visit to Spain last summer, I wouldn't mind either! 

My yarn and needles are never really far from me, to be honest, as I have knitting with me everywhere I go.  But I like to go to the beach or to the mountains when my husband and I can get time to do so - either of them are just a short drive for us because of where we live.  I also love to cook, and to eat, so we try new restaurants when we can. I'm a big crime-drama fan, so I watch a lot of that on TV .. but that's also knitting time.

I also love music, and chatting online with freinds. I have recently discovered a fondness for gardening, and now that I've won the battle with my HOA over whether I should be allowed to plant flowers in my front yard and make my townhouse look different than everyone else's, I've got some beautiful things growing.

"I don't cause commotions. I am one."  Elphaba. Wicked. Act 1. Scene 11 - The Lion Cub

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Debbieduck wrote
on May 26, 2008 6:40 AM

I am getting used to an almost empty nest. My 19 year old daughter did not want me to be too lonely, so she keeps buying  puppies. So far, two toy poodles and a now a schnoodle puppy. OY...we are a little busy keeping up with all their antics. They are so much fun, but lots of hard work. I work part time at our local mall in a clothing shop to support my yarn habit. I enjoy converting my co workers and customers into knitters/crocheters/fiber enthusiasts and promoting business for our LYS in the area. Its fun. I'm trying very hard to stick with a Weight Watchers plan and exercise. My 19 yr old daughter is also a competitive ice dancer and college student majoring in math. This has been her life since she was about 7 yrs old. When I have days off I enjoy going to the rink to watch her skate. My step daughter is planning her wedding for late this summer so that also very exciting and keeps us busy.

Reading is a favorite past time. Usually a good novel helps me get through the time on my exercise bike. I am also trying to become more computer savvy.

I try to enjoy each day and be thankful for all I have. The online knitting community has been a source of joy for me. I've met many wonderful people, am learning so many incredible things, finally feel like I belong and never feel lonely.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LindaS@3 wrote
on May 26, 2008 8:47 AM

wow, all of you sound so very accomplished!  I have just gotten my least-un graduated from high school...and the eldest graduated from grad school.  the other two are probably best referred to as Professional Students. . . sigh.

I have sheep, shear and care for them in addition to spinning and knitting, garden and can, piddle with photography (previously old-fashioned, lately digital) and my husband and I are trying to renovate the raddled, old duchess of a farmhouse we've had for the last 16 years...we've done it ALL, trust me. ( I guess I'm proudest of stenciling in the main rooms, or learning 3-coat plaster repair)

I'd rather be living on a boat, but the mountains of north-east Tennessee will have to do for now. I've got a front porch! Come visit!

Linda

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on May 26, 2008 9:07 AM

Well, there is rather a long list of the things I like to do...

I like walking - I'm lucky to live in the heart of Cheshire here in the UK, where there are lots of trails and cycle tracks to follow. I like cycling too.

I am a musician, so I go to play recorder regularly with a local group. We have a short concert coming up in June. I play piano too.

As well as knitting I enjoy sewing - quilting, free machine embroidery, hand embroidery, generally making things with cloth or yarns and floss. I do some dressmaking, but not as much as I would like.

I enjoy doing some felt making too - the feltmaking which is extremely messy. (The soap, warm water and a lot of elbow grease).

Oh yes, I work full-time. I teach seven to eight year olds in the local village school. I run a Computer Club and a Gardening Club too, after school.

Textiles keep me sane, and really loving life.

Mandy:)

Not Ranked
Posts 7
AnnieS wrote
on May 26, 2008 7:01 PM

Aside from child wrangling, I enjoy sewing-- I make many of my own clothes, especially in summer. I am also a glass beadmaker/ jewelry maker. Obviously, I enjoy making things to adorn myself and the people I love. I am an avid reader and listener of public radio. I work out in the wee hours of the morning while children and husband are fast asleep. And I recently picked up my tennis racquet again after a long hiatus. 

Annie

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Cheryl wrote
on May 27, 2008 7:20 PM

I am usually working or taking care of our kids, 5 dogs and 3 cats but when I'm not, I can usually be found curled up with a good book.

Recently I took my riders course and obtained my endorsement to ride a motorcycle so I try to find time to ride a little to get use to it. I figure if gas prices keep going up and up, I'll end up riding to work on a motorcycle.

I try to take my crocheting with me to work but it never seems to happen that I actually have the time to actually work on anything.

My husband and I love to go to the beach to sit and watch the dolphins frolic and play and the beautiful sunsets. Sometimes it's just he and I and I remember why I moved to Florida and why I love him so much.

I sometimes wish we had a boat so I could just 'escape' from the world for a little while but all in all, I love my life just like it is..crazy enough to be interesting but not boring. Paradise

So many yarns/patterns....so little time!

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS