lots of inherited yarn

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
AmyLoug wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 8:26 AM

A few months ago I inherited a lot of yarn Big Smile . I have run into a few issues. Some don't have labels so I don't know what kind of yarn they are (wool, acrylic, mohair, etc.) and I don't know how many yards I have. Also, I have some yarn that is 50% camel hair and 50% wool. Is that a good yarn to have? If so, would it be good for hats, scarves, socks? I'm new at this but I'm learning! I'm not ready for clothing or anything but I'd really like to use the yarn I have inherited!!

Thanks for any info or suggestions!

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 10:03 AM

AmyLoug:
Some don't have labels so I don't know what kind of yarn they are (wool, acrylic, mohair, etc.)

Hi Amy,

There is a little test to see what the yarns are made of.  Snip off about one inch of the yarn.  Burn this with a match/lighter over a candle holder.  If the yarn melts then it is synthetic.  If it gives off a burnt hair odor, then it is wool.  If it does both, then the yarn is a combination of wool and synthetic.  Snip off three lengths of two inch yarn pieces, soak these in hot hot water for a few minutes.  When they dry, if they have shrunk, it is wool.  You could also knit a 4" swatch and soak it in the hot water followed by a cold rinse.  If the swatch has shrunk or felted then it is wool, and not the superwash wool.  Superwash wool does not shrink when washed so the burn test should also be used to determine wool content.

Any small project like socks, placemats, mittens, hats etc. would be fine.  Even an afghan for the car would be fine.  Happy knitting, Zoe

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
AmyLoug wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 10:13 AM

Thanks Zoe!

I have quite a bit of the camel/wool yarn. I want to make socks using that, but so far I haven't had very much luck with learning to knit socks!! I'm going to keep trying though :) .

I'm struggling a bit because I'm teaching myself everything. I'm getting bored with hats, scarves, pillows, dish rags and placemats!!! I just can't seem to get the other things figured out!!!

In the stash I inherited, I have enough of one yarn to knit an afghan. So I'll be starting that soon.

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 10:40 AM

Hi Amy,

We have a SOCKS thread running and it is a great place to learn to knit socks.  I will post you a note over there!  See you at SOCKS.  BTW, the socks are my favorite thing to knit -- they are so simple.

Zoe Yes

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
AmyLoug wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 5:37 PM

Hi Zoe!

Thanks for offering help with socks!! I REALLY want to learn how! How do I get to the thread?

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 6:30 PM

Hi Amy,

I already welcomed you on the SOCKS thread!!  If the SOCKS is not in upper case capitols on the main page, type in SOCKS in the search bar found on the main page in the upper right hand corner.  Scroll down the page it takes you to until you find the SOCKS in upper case letters.  Click on it.

See you there, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 10:41 PM

Hi AmyLoug, 

I just read your post and wanted to add that once you follow Zoe's test(s) to determine what kind of yarn you have, write it on a card or paper and fasten or tie on to the yarn, because if your like me you'll forget. 

Glad your taking good care of it and have fun using it all up!  There is a topic under this Stash and Stash Management also to do with storing yarn, called New Yarn Storage that you might enjoy.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
AmyLoug wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 6:08 AM

Hi ZassZ,

You're exactly right, I would definitely have to write it down. The lady I got the yarn for was a very skilled knitter! When I finally got all of the yarn home, I sorted through it to determine what I wanted and donated the rest. In order to sort through all of the colors, I had to use my bed! I had each color in piles and it completely covered my queen size bed!! Before I got her yarn, I only had 12 partial skeins! I've only been knitting for a year but couldn't really afford to buy much yarn. For storage, I'm using those plastic zip up bags like the ones a comforter would come in. For those yarns that have more than one skein, I have them in a ziplock bag inside the big bag. The colors are a little mixed but I was still able to keep similar colors together, like reds and pinks together or blues and greens, etc. I works out great because the bags zip up which helps protect the yarn and they are clear so I can easily see what's in the bag. For the orginal 12, I bought one of those things that hang in the closet and has pouches for your shoes. That's nice too but doesn't hold very much.

I want so badly to learn how to knit other stuff! Everybody in my family has 2 hats and a scarf. I have 4 hats and 3 scarves and 3 people have pillows!! I've also made several dishrags. I'm bored with those things and slowly losing interest because I'm having trouble learning other things. I don't want to do that. I'm trying to find some classes on socks but not having very much luck.

I'm not going to give up! I love knitting!

Thanks for the suggestion

Amy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
Nwallace wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 8:06 AM

AmyLoug:
I have quite a bit of the camel/wool yarn. I want to make socks using that

Amy,  I just finished a scarf using the 50% Camel Hair/50% Wool yarn.  When I bought it the lady told me to be careful with it when if I wet blocked it because it would felt with too much handling.  At another yarn shop, they told me to steam block it.  I don't think it will work well for socks as it will probable felt .

The scarf I made turned out lovely and the yarn is so nice to work with.  It is so soft and it feels so good.  You will find long camel hairs every once in a while.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 3:27 PM

Hi Amy,

AmyLoug:

Hi ZassZ,

I want so badly to learn how to knit other stuff!

That is a pretty good supply of yarn!  Glad you organized it right away.  As I mentioned in my previus post we got a lot of feedback on yarn storage under New Yarn Storage in the thread of the same name under this STASH AND STASH MANAGEMENT.  It is fun to read how people like to do their organizing and you might enjoy reading those posts. 

I like using closet shoe caddy.  I liike it as well, because the little pouches are clear.  The only different thing is that I also put in a separate zip up clothing closet INSIDE my closet so all the yarn is stored inside it with clear plastic bags on hangers on the pole, hanging across so I can see and not have to bend down to get bags off of the floor of the zip up closet.  You can get them from places like Bed Bath & Beyond or similar Ross.  Anyway, without too much more description and not to bore you, you can read more there if you like. 

You have the desire to learn to knit other stuff and I feel confident you will because you said that your not going to give up.  We'll hold you to it and encourage you when you need it and help out with patterns and yarns and the whole 9 yards, you'll have so much knitting goin on girl, you'll have projects on "hold" before you know it Surprise 

It was so much fun talking and glad to hear your ideas too.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 8:19 PM

Yogama, 

I think it's time for me to get in to my Stash and figure out which yarn I can use up for either the Seven Shell Hat, Eyelet Cowl or Lutz & Patmos Vest.  When I do a few test swatches I'll get back to you re which one I'll be doing.  Have you started the project with the stainless steel wool?  Remember the LionBrand free pattern they had on the site for the wool stainless steel?  I checked back and now they have a few tunics as well but I can't find the first scarf that I really thought was pretty.  Even preferred it over the one on KD. 

Well it's cooling down here and my head is already needing a hat.  I don't know why, I have plenty of hair.  All my friends tell me don't you dare cut it!  They will stop talking to me.  HA! 

I hope your getting some good sleep, you have been a very busy girl lately.     

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 4, 2012 6:02 PM

Thinking about using up some yarn in my stash. I was just looking back at this. I love it and am thinking about doing another one. I can make good use of some stash yarn from this past year.

ZassZ:

Hi Yogama,

I spent some time today taking pictures. Here is my blanket just finished. The top edge is over the chair, but it looks just like the lower bottom edge.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS