Toe Up Socks Book and/or ML Book

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Lorene wrote
on May 25, 2008 6:49 AM

Isn't it about time publishers recognized there are a lot of folks who don't (some can't due to physical problems) knit socks on dpns and many don't knit from the top down? 

As for the other portion of my subject line:  yes, I know how to convert patterns written for dpns to ML  BUT  I also teach classes and it is very difficult to find appropriate patterns for students without sitting down and re-writting them which, by the way, may or may not be a violation of copyright so I try writing my own basic paterns.  And I really would rather be knitting samples for classes instead of having to write patterns or pattern interpretations for them. 

One of the reasons I have not invested in Getting Started Knitting Socks is that I happen to be one of those persons sufficiently afflicted with arthritis that I can't knit with small dpns and all the publicity on this book indicates it is "old fashioned" and uses only dpns.  ETA:  This question has been answered -- the patterns are for dpns.

2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes is a great example of what I'm talking about for more advanced sock knitters but only features top down patterns.  I may use it for beginning students and tell them to ignore the instructions for "sock B" until they are comfortable with sock anatomy and want to knit 2 socks at once.

Am I alone here or have others experienced this frustration? 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
deedeesdolls wrote
on Oct 21, 2011 8:20 PM

i also have an arthritis problem and find it awkward using DPN's.  i have adjusted to using 2 x circular needles, one on one half of the stitches and one on the other half.  Also i have experimented with using the double knitting techniques on 2 normal needles, however, it does become a bit intricate when increasing and decreasing and you have to beware locking the two sides together.

I also teach classes and also make up patterns for my similarly challenged students.

maybe we should think of publishing as there seems to be a gap in the market.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS