Phiaro Scarf

This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on May 27, 2008 4:24 AM

Anyone planning to make this scarf?

I just love it. Though it might be hard to first knit all those stitches and then dropping them again. 

Any suggestions about yarn substitutions? Would cotton work as well?  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 12, 2008 5:18 PM

Hi JulesG, where is the pattern for it?  If it is one this site please let me know I would like to see it.  Coffee 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 13, 2008 1:14 AM

Hi ZassZ,

The pattern was in "Knitscene Winter 07 / Spring 08" - here's alink to the pictures: http://www.knitscene.com/issue/win07projects.asp   (You'll have to scroll down a bit.)

The pattern is not online, but you might sitll be able to get the magazine.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 290
Editor
KD Sandi wrote
on Jun 16, 2008 3:11 PM

I love LOVE this scarf and I am not a scarf-knitter. (hate them. why? no clue. Just hate knitting them.) But I love this one!

Bamboo? Silk? A really soft shiny cotton? Something slick and shiny and drapey, methinks, if you want to make it in the spirit of the original. Plus, something slick and shiny and drapey would make dropping the stitches easier.

But I bet you could make a really interesting winter version in a merino or alpaca or woolish blend--just not too thick! A sock yarn? A fine wool? But soft and not itchy.

What am I going to make this scarf in? Well. IF I ever get to knitting it, I have some really lovely soy silk that would be perfect. But that's IF I get to knitting it....

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 17, 2008 3:19 AM

Soy silk! Yeah! or a shiny cotton! Hmm, Sandi, you are making it really difficult for me.

Merino, well, I guess that would be wonderful. Just that I have no idea how my neck would like merino. I seldom wear "real" wool around my neck. Mostly cotton only.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 22, 2008 8:29 PM

I found the bigger photo of this scarf as you directed me.  It is really pretty.  I actually did use this drop stitch for a wrap I did.  I used a beautiful soft alpaca Cascade Pastanza 50% alpaca 50% wool.  Used a larger needle size to get an airy look because the yarn is a little thick but very soft and smooth, no roughness.  It drapes beautifully.   The stitch is very easy to do and really goes quickly.

Also used Paton's SWS (soy) in a graduating, self striping color in greens, beiges and pinks.  It feels cottony and soft and light and you might like it for the Phiaro scarf as you mentioned using cotton around your neck.  Needles size recomended is Size 9 for this yarn. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 23, 2008 3:52 AM

Thank you! A soy/cotton mix is on my list for this pattern. But right now I am stuck on a different pattern and won't start on the Phiaro scarf until part of my todo-list is finished. *sigh*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 26, 2008 11:48 AM

JulesG,  Yeah Yes that you are self-disciplined, sticking to it.  The soy cotton is really nice around the neck, so smooth.  I'm sure you really will enjoy knitting with it. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ReneeV wrote
on Aug 26, 2008 7:21 AM

I just saw this pattern, and I LOVE it!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS