UFOs

This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Asrana wrote
on May 28, 2008 2:49 AM

What do you do to motivate yourself to finish UFOs? I love knitting and everything to do with it (choosing a pattern, trying to figure out what I could knit to reduce my stash, playing with colours, etc) but half way through a project I suddenly get bored. And not even big projects - having knit three pairs of socks I cast on for a fourth, with new exciting yarn and trying a toe-up pattern for the first time. I got as far as turning the heel a month or so ago and now it's just sitting on my desk, looking at me mournfully! Do I just suck at self-discipline, or something?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on May 28, 2008 3:39 AM

I think the answer here is possibly just too many socks. Well, with this last project.

I know with my own projects I need some kind of reason for completing a project. With the cardigan/jacket I am working on at the moment, it is just that I really need a new cardigan in red. However, I do still find myself being side-tracked to get on with the blanket I am also completing for the Elizabeth's Year group (Yahoo group). This was supposed to be the project for April using thick chunky yarn. Like an idiot, I decided that since I do not enjoy knitting with very thick yarn, I would knit it in double knitting (worsted/sport ?) weight yarn. This means an awful lot more knitting, but a weight of blanket/afghan I know I will use. That is, if my daughters don't decide they could give it a better home............

Earlier in the year I found myself looking at an aran sweater I had put aside unfinished, three or four years ago. In the end I ripped it all back and restarted. This time I finished it and it is really cosy to wear. A good jumper to wear whilst out walking.

No, you don't lack self-discipline. I think you need to give yourself permission to give up on a project and leave it for a time. Later on, you will get back to the project with renewed enthusiasm. Or you may decide that the pattern is just not right for you and frog the whole thing back to use the yarn for something else.

Relax, enjoy your knitting and don't allow yourself (or anyone else) make you feel guilty.

Best wishes,

Mandy:)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
RosyH wrote
on May 28, 2008 7:21 AM

That is happening to me right now!!! Except I have like 10 UFO's, but I'd just rather start another quick project instead of working on them, but I need to finish them!! lol

~Big SmileRosyBig Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 7
AnnieS wrote
on May 28, 2008 5:40 PM

I don't let myself buy new yarn to replenish the stash until I have finished at least one UFO. This is hard but motivating, especially if I see something particularly yummy at my LYS. 

Annie

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
PrincessG wrote
on May 29, 2008 12:18 AM

i can start a project but i can never finish them! im 3/4 way through my baby jacket for alyssa my baby cousin and i got bored so now im knitting a sock.. lol. i have sooo many ufo! ma is trying to get me to finish them before she gets me any more yarn but just today she went to buy me some! now i have an even bigger stash! grrr ! i dont want to use it up but i have to.. one day.. lol. winters nearly over so then i can make some cool clothing for spring! wooo! after i get my other ufo done.. Angel lol

my will power got me to finish off my other ones before they came back.. now i have to find the time to do that again.. he he

hope you find your solution! good luck

xoxo

PrincessG         

Dont take people for granted, beacuse one day you will realise you have lost a diamond while you were too buysing collecting stones....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
Jody wrote
on May 29, 2008 7:51 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I get so much enjoyment out of choosing the pattern and purchasing the yarn and starting the project. But once I get started I find that I'm quickly bored with what I'm doing and ready to start something else. It doesn't help that there's so many wonderful patterns and yarns out there that I can't keep up! I always have more than one project that I'm working on, but no matter how many I have I always seem to find at least one more that I want to start!

Jody

Not Ranked
Posts 13
CeliaC wrote
on May 29, 2008 9:56 AM

I too am glad I'm not the only one. I don't think you need to beat yourself up about it. Eventually you'll get back to it when the timing is right.

I am just now finishing up a tank top I started two years ago. It was a complicated pattern for me at the time and I put it aside to ask for help, then got a new job and had to leave my knitting group for awhile, and kinda forgot about it. Then this spring I've been on a binge to finish up old projects and take on things I've been putting off for months, even years. Voila! There was the tank top, the perfect thing to finish just in time for summer, and now that's I've become a more experienced knitter it's a piece of cake!

So the moral to the story is, when the time is right, the project will present itself again.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Terry Morris wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 9:02 AM

As CeliaC said: "So the moral to the story is, when the time is right, the project will present itself again. "

I have found this to be so true! What was once boring, is now "comfortable" or soothing because I need a break. I LOVE to start new projects - I love the math and planning of new designs - I get sorrowful upon completion for the fun is ending.

I try to look over my UFO's periodically and decide which one I'll pick up again. Sometimes I have to force myself to choose one, but once I get going on it I fall in love all over again. I've learned NEVER put away a project if I have an error or problem. Resolve the problem before you start another project. Yes, I work in "parallel" with many projects on the needles at the same time always having:

• Socks to carry along with me everywhere I go (multiple projects)
  • Baby socks for future gifts
  • Sweater for TV knitting
  • Hats & mittens from stash wools for the Akkol orphanage in Kazakhstand
  • Swatches for design work
  • Other misc.

Knitting on....Terry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Lana wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 10:17 PM

Hi Asrana, I used to not finish my projects but I realized that it was because I would run into a problem with something. Either it wasn't turning out as I had imagined or it was nothing more than stockinette. I cured myself of this when I bought varigated yarn. I looked forward to the pattern it would create. I also started putting darts in my sweaters so that added and element of surprise to the project. Maybe you can add cables to the sock top or finish it with some crochet lace and were them as booties. It really is fun to finish projects in unexpected ways. Even a pin to secure a cardigan works if you don't want to put on the buttons or it you forgot to put in buttonholes. Or you could tie parts of a sweater together with braided yarn so that you don't have to sew it permanently. It will look done and it will be wearable even if it isn't what you had planned.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Pam wrote
on Jun 12, 2008 1:17 AM

Seems enough UFO's out there to start another Star WarsBig Smile...

.I love to knit but really hate sewing up...hurray for scarves and rugs...I'm better if  I have a deadline..ie needs to  be finished by...

I have a cupboard full of yarn but today i bought  some wool because it was $1.00 a 50 g ball.......!!!! yes really ....I just couldn't help myself. So back to the pattern books for me and I will finish it......I think I can I think I can etc...etc...Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 2
YavannaR wrote
on Jun 12, 2008 1:21 PM

I bribe myself with the promise of new yarn if I can just finish one of my UFO's..problem is, on said yarn purchases I often end up buying more yarn than needed for just one new project....sigh...there goes the stash!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Terry Morris wrote
on Jun 14, 2008 9:14 AM

Ha ha! I thought I was the only one who did that!! Cool

Not Ranked
Posts 5
amanda wrote
on Jun 14, 2008 12:15 PM

I have the attention span of a 3-year old dipped in chocolate at a birthday party...so, I TOTALLY understand UFOs!  I have found that for me the best way to take charge of finishing all of those UFOs is to be inspired.  I look through magazines, read articles, watch videos, pick up a funny knitting book, etc.  It never fails to inspire me to pick up the needles once more and finish that long-lost friend.  The feeling of one less UFO in the knitting basket is so rewarding...as is the "I've been so good I'm going to treat myself" trip to the LYS feeling! lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 65
AnnR wrote
on Jun 16, 2008 5:41 PM

I love to go to my LYS and look around at the different yarns and patterns. I usually end up buying something to add to my stash. I make myself finish my curren project first before I start another. I guess that it is self discipline!!! I certainly understand the problem with UFO's and it would be so easy to give in.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 22, 2008 9:22 PM

I try to be disciplined as well.  In the past I have worked on some projects in the evenings with my family, just talking and each of us doing something we like while enjoying each other's company all nice and cozy.  It seemed that I was spurred on by all these little eyes watching the progress of what's on my needles and trying to anticipate when it would be done.  I especially remember knitting a dress for my daughter.  She was so excited as we tried it for fit and watched it take shape day by day.  I took a picture of her wearing it.  Til this day it is one of my very favorite pictures of her. 

While I am still working on the present project I am already thinking about what will be next.  I won't let myself stop til I am  finished.  In that way I am learning, not getting bored and I figure it does no one any good to have something unfinished in the drawer...noone gets to see it or wear it - so it ends up being a waste of my Time.  That makes me more determined to get to . . .  the last stitch! Snail 

It's not a race but rather something I love because it relaxes me. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS