THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST!

This post has 983 Replies | 43 Followers rated by 16 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,461
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jan 7, 2011 11:19 AM

Since almost 1500 of you voted for this cardigan, it's the overwhelming winner—and I'm happy about it, too!

If you don't have the pattern, it's available here or in your Spring 2010 issue of Interweave Knits. The pattern doesn't have any errata, so we're all set there.

Almost everyone who's knit this says it's a fast knit, so I'll do a semi-short schedule.

1/7-1/28: Gather materials, get gauge, knit the back
1/29-2/18: Knit the fronts
2/19-3/4: Complete finishing and post photos in this forum
3/4-Forever: Wear with pride!

How does that sound?

I'm going to be using Classic Elite Soft Linen in a dark blue. How about you?

Please post all of your comments as a reply to this post or another post in this forum thread. I'd like to keep everything under one roof, so to speak.

Welcome, everyone—I can't wait to see your progress and hear all of your tips and tricks.

XO,

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
dpadgett wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 11:35 AM

Oh boy! I'm taking the plunge! Have wanted to do a knit along for a long time but I'm more comfortable crocheting. I've admired all the beautiful pieces you all have created! I'm going to make this for my mother-in-law 1st in a lavender.Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sizrhpy70 wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 12:14 PM

one of my resolutions for the new year was to make a sweater.  i am a somewhat new knitter and would love to complete this.  so i am setting my feet in the right direction and getting the items i need for this!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
alpacagirl wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 2:12 PM

I'm a "traditionally built" woman, as anyone who reads the #1 Lady's Detective Novels will recognize. It looks like this cardigon would only focus attention to my stomach (more substantial than I would prefer).  Any comments or suggestions on how I could change the pattern so it wouldn't gap so much in the middle?

Although I am an inveterate knitter, I haven't done too many sweaters for myself--and this would be my first KAL!

Thanks . . .

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Quickie49 wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 2:12 PM

Sounds great, but I haven't gotten my Spring issue yet. Will have to wait and hope I get started before Tax Season says HA!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SevenOfNine wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 2:50 PM

@Quickie49: this was in **last year's** Spring issue. . .

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 3:28 PM

alpacagirl:
It looks like this cardigon would only focus attention to my stomach (more substantial than I would prefer).  Any comments or suggestions on how I could change the pattern so it wouldn't gap so much in the middle?

Hi alpacagirl,

I am like you.  What I would do is to increase the wideth of the center borders and sew in a zipper.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Quickie49 wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 4:03 PM

So if I had actually read the post, I might have noticed the 2010. My only excuse that as a veteran of accounting firms, I am always one year behind Embarrassed

Not Ranked
Posts 1
fifijo wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 5:15 PM

I'm new to the knit alongs and wondering how it works.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 6:54 PM

fifijo:

I'm new to the knit alongs and wondering how it works.

Hi fifijo,

Welcome to the KAL.  Knitters who want to join the KAL simply get the pattern and the necessary supplies and start knitting.  Any time that you encounter difficulties with the KAL project, you just come on to the THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST and let us all know what it is that you are having trouble with doing.  Any time that you have anything to add to any conversation about the KAL, just come on and post about it.  If you have photos to share about the KAL, then post them.  A KAL is where knitters are knitting the same item, and help each other out with problems or inspire other knitters as they go along. 

In the first post by Kathleen Cubley about the KAL, the "time schedule" for the knitting progression is posted.  And do not in any way think that any question is not important.  The important thing to remember is it is all getting knitting together.  If you have a suggestion about doing the knitting pattern in another manner, then post about it.  Others will give feedback, positive or negative.  In no way should you ever take any negative comment about the knitting as being "against" you.  It is only another knitter's experience or lack of experience talking.

Hope this helps you out.  What color are you planning to make this cardigan in??

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 7:04 PM

Hi Alpacagirl,

I was just over to Ravelry to check out their site for this Seaweed Cardigan.  A number of the knitters used buttons for closure at the front.  They appear to mostly be about 1-2 inches between buttons.  There are a lot of nice colors chosen by the knitters too.  What color/s are you doing?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
dpadgett wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 7:30 PM

Hello!  I was concerned about the fit for my recipient too, like the idea of the buttons rather than belt. Do you have any suggestions for comparable yarns? Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 7:39 PM

dpadgett:
Do you have any suggestions for comparable yarns? Thank you!

Hi dpadgett,

Because I have so many skin allergy reactions to stuff, I generally stick to an acrylic yarn.  I would not be able to tolerate the linen in this yarn.  I do like the Bernat Satin yarn and it is a #3 weight too.  Bernat seems to make a good yarn that I have been happy with using.  I also found that the Bernat acrylic yarns do not stretch or loose their shapings when washed and dryed in the dryer on medium heat.  The colors stay true as well.

Ravelry may have other yarn suggestions too.  I didn't look at their yarns that were used.  Generally speaking, you buy the best yarn that you can afford in the same weight as what the pattern calls for you to use.

What yarns is everyone else using for this?  Is anyone using a wool or wool blend?  Silk? Bamboo?

Hope it helps you.  Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 7:46 PM

Hi all KAL knitters,

I just came back from Ravelry.  There were 29 different yarns used for this Seaweed Cardigan.  I can't remember them but go over there and check them out.  Lots of colors too!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
dpadgett wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 7:50 PM

Thank you Zoe! Yes very helpful! I'm getting nervous and excited! This will be fun!

Page 1 of 66 (984 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS