What are you spinning right now?

This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Oct 19, 2008 2:37 PM

Right now our guild learned several ways to spin novelty boucle. Ick! A bit trying, but do-able. It's good to get out of the rut.

We spun up our mohair and then plied it with 2 sewing threads to make the loops.

I then learned how to make a core-spun-like boucle with the same threads and different method.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DeborahK@3 wrote
on Oct 31, 2008 2:33 PM

I've got merino/silk in light blue/green on the Lendrum for 2 ply blouse weft. The charkha has organic natural brown cotton for singles weft for dress material. One spindle (Forester?) has Shadeyside brown alpaca/silk in pumpkin (how appropriate for Halloween) - purpose as yet unknown.

Did you have a good time at SOAR? It sounds like it was awesome this year from all the blogs.

Debbie from MA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Finnseach wrote
on Nov 3, 2008 10:29 AM

On my laceweight spindle I have purple merino (from combed top, commercialy prepared). On one bobbin for my wheel, I am spinning up a cria alpaca from a very dirty fleece that I've been combing. On another bobbin (only have the one wheel functioning) I have some MerinoX (with what I don't know) that I've been trying to comb/card. Another bobbin has some mohair in a space-dyed colorway of blues and greens (gift from my mother). that's about it right now. Ongoing projects all. Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Jessica@3 wrote
on Jan 30, 2009 4:08 PM

I am spinning some merino roving that I hand dyed in kind of agea & sea sort of colors. I am almost finished with enough to do a pair of socks, but I'm trying to decide whether to spin more so that maybe I can do a hat & mittens instead.

Jessica

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Melodie wrote
on Jan 30, 2009 9:17 PM

I am just learning to spin. I have some gray merino roving that I am going to attempt to turn into yarn. :) I want to make a pair of mittens for me and maybe hat for my husband. I am looking for some good videos while I track down some local classes.

Not much luck yet on the classes but I will keep looking.

Melodie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Feb 9, 2009 12:42 PM

See if you can track down someone in your local Spinning and Weaving Guild. If there is one in the area, you can possibly get some lessons from them.

Here in MT, we have several active guilds. A good DVD is Spinning Wool: Basics and Beyond by Patsy Zawistoski. I use it when I teach beginning spinning.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
spinkitty wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 5:47 AM

I have two bobbins of alpaca singles waiting to be plied with a carry-along beaded thread.  I hand knotted the beads on the thread.  That took a lot longer than it did to spin the singles.  The yarn should be about fingering weight after plying.  I plan on knitting a lacy scarf or stole with it.

Ellie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Lee wrote
on Oct 9, 2009 1:28 PM

I'm spinning a one-pound bag of Louet Coopworth top in a gorgeous natural light gray. I'm loving it--except for having to pick out all the tiny twigs. Who knew? I've been subscribing to Spin Off for over a year but I only (finally!)  learned to spin on a spindle three weeks ago. I love it and I'm already obsessing over what spinning wheel to buy!

"Fame is a very good thing to have in the house but cash is more convenient." Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Page 3 of 3 (38 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS