Yarn substitute suggestions for Terry's Pullover (Bergere de France Irland yarn)

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
JanieC wrote
on Jan 31, 2011 6:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I want to knit "Terry's Pullover" which was published in the 2009 IW Holiday Gifts (http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/35947.aspx)

The yarn is very hard to find (I think they discontinued it) and the only place I can find it is from the UK and it comes with a 20% VAT, which i don't really want to pay.

Here are the yarn stats:

Yarn Bergère de France Irland (80% wool, 13% acrylic, 7% viscose; 77 yd [70 m]/ 50 g)

Needle Size: 4.00-4.50mm
Tension: 19sts x 25 rows =4" on 4.5mm

Does any one know of a good substitute?  I was thinking Knitpicks' City Tweed, but I am unsure.

City Tweed HW

Content: 55% Merino wool, 25% superfine alpaca, 20% Donegal tweed
Weight: Heavy Worsted Weight
Knitting Gauge: 4 - 4.75 sts = 1" on #7 - 9 needles (4.5mm-5.5mm)
Crochet Gauge: 12–17 sc = 4'' on 7-I hooks (4.5mm - 5.5mm)
Amount: 164 yards/100 gram ball

Thanks in advance!

-Janie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 1, 2011 5:45 AM

JanieC:

I want to knit "Terry's Pullover" which was published in the 2009 IW Holiday Gifts (http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/35947.aspx)

The yarn is very hard to find (I think they discontinued it) and the only place I can find it is from the UK and it comes with a 20% VAT, which i don't really want to pay.

Hi Janice,

I had a look at the pattern, and generally speaking, if you have a pattern that calls for a specific weight of yarn (it looks like this could be worsted weight #4) then if you substitute the yarn for the same weight yarn, you should be okay.

I would suggest you go down to your local yarn store with this pattern, and get a few different types of yarn in a couple of sizes close to what you want to knit it in.  Make some gauge swatches and see what you think.  Do this before you order or purchase yarn for the project because it looks like it will take quite a lot of yarn balls to make.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS