smoothening out wool yarn once it has been ripped up from a sweater

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Feb 11, 2011 11:15 AM

Are there there any suggestions out there as to how to smoothen out wool dale yarn after being ripped up from a sweater in order to knit a new project?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
CGJ wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 1:06 PM

Wind your yarn as a skein, just like when you buy a new skein of yarn. Bind is several time (i do 4 times, so there is no snarls and knots. Get lukewarm water add a table spoon of baby shampoo and let you yarn soak for about 15 to 20 minutes. By using baby shampoo, the rinsing will be much easier and gentler on your yarn. Rinse gently with running water. Do not agitate your water or the snarls will find you. Gently squeeze the water out, put the skein flat on a towel. I move it every 3 to 4 hours from the spot so the towel will absorb the water. Personally I do not hang it, I do not want to take the tension of the wool out. A friend does hang it and says that there is no difference.  When you yarn is dry, wound it in a ball and voila, ready for your next project.Tongue Tied

CJ

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lehua ahihi wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 1:15 PM

Just noticed this topic, and your answer.  It is so timely, as I am looking at an old UFO with an eye to re-using the wool.  I will certainly try this, as it is similar to a hint I once read in an Mon Tricot magazine. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 4:18 PM

Hi

On the KD website you can read two articles re your question.  http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2010/02/05/get-the-kinks-out.aspx 

and http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2007/10/31/after-the-frog-pond-3A00_-bringing-yarn-back-from-the-dead.aspx  

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 11:49 AM

Hi, Charlotte!:

I am on that issue too. I unknitted carefully the yarn from a sweater I knitted 13 years ago. It is baby merino wool, was washed once and never worn because despite I warned my son his friends didn't use to wear knitted garments at that time he insisted me to. So, as I was saying. I unknitted it carefully and I took a sleeve ironing surface and  I wind it trying not to put round over round. Then I sprinkled over it water so it could get a bit wet, I let it get dry and then I made the skein, a very big skein. Well, aften a few days because I only have one sleeve ironing surface. But if you have a similar surface wider and larger it would be faster. The only thing I can warn you is that no matter how careful you are in this process the yarn will never look as pretty as it was when you first bought it new. Do not become sad. We can already knit a beautiful garment and if you don´t say anything, nobody will notice it is a recycled yarn.

Wish you the best.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 1:15 PM

Hi Charlotte,

I did this yarn some time ago.  It turned out well because I unwound it first, wound it into large loops and loosely tied the loops at top and bottom.  Then put into a mesh washing garment bag, or you could use a pillow case.  Into the washing machine on delicate hand wash.  It does not swish around in the machine, more like a hand movement every minute or so.  Anyway it was washed with cold water Woolite, and then a little bit of water softener in the rinse.  Hang up to dry and wind up in the balls you see.  Came out very well and was no trouble tangling or felting.  You must tie the loops to keep it from tangling and you could also wash in basin by hand more like a soaking, no rubbing. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 9:00 PM

Hi ZassZ!,

I just want to ask you if there is any difference between the look of the yarn when you bought it and now when you did this procedure

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 11:58 AM

Hi Charlotte,

I followed the suggestion ZassZ gave to you and it worked perfectly. The yarn looks as good as new.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS