Knitting needles

This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Susan Cohen wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 9:46 PM

Has anyone here purchased needles from eknittingneedles.com?   The prices seem to good to be true, so I'd like to get some feedback before I make a purchase.  

Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
RoseyPosie wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 11:12 PM

I have purchased the circular bamboo and dpns and have been very satisfied with them.  They are smooth with no snags to catch on yarn and the cables work well even though they are a little 'fat'.  They are well worth the price.  I bought mine through Amazon.com but a friend just ordered some from eKnittinNeedles.com.  Good luch and have fun.  Rose

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 8:12 AM

Can you tell me how badly the cord curls on the longer cords?  The Clover needles are nice, but the cords are terrible to try to straighten out  and gets in the way.  I found some circulars that the cord is great to work with, but to buy very many gets expensive.   LindaB48

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kneedler wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 2:59 PM

Hi, new to this site.  Hoping for answers to a couple of questions.

See that you use clover needles.  Have you ever noticed that they are not true to size stated on the package.  Have purchased several pairs only to find (for example) that my size 10's are actually 10 1/2's.  This has happened so many times that I will now take my needle gauge with me when I shop.  Love the feel of the needles and the way my yarn works up on them, but this size issue is has been a problem.  Can't be just me, can it???

Being new to this site I am puzzled as to where to look for patterns saved to favorites.  I'm sure this is obvious to all, but me.  Help!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 3:23 PM

kneedler:
Being new to this site I am puzzled as to where to look for patterns saved to favorites.

Hi kneedler,

There is no "favorites" place for patterns here.  But at the top in the brown menu bar, there is a section called Patterns.  Click on the Patterns.  There you will find a drop down menu to choose where you would look for the Knitting Daily patterns. 

I understand your problem with needles.  It can be frustrating.  I buy my needles in mm sizing.  I use metal needles and have not found a problem with them.  I do understand from other knitters that wooden needles tend to hold back the yarn from sliding off the needle.  I wonder if this is where the problem lies???  Have you measured with your needle gauge?  they are quite handy to have, aren't they?  I think I have one in every room of the house!

Happy knitting, and welcome to the site!  Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kneedler wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 6:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,  it is greatly appreciated.  Perhaps I am not making myself clear in stating my issues.  I am not new to knitting and have used bamboo, wood and metal in regular, double pointed and round needles.  When I mentioned gauge I meant for needle size, not knitting gauge.  The needles themselves (in some cases) are actually larger in diameter.  Thus having 10 1/2's on hand and needing 10 for a new project, I've had to wait until I could return the errant sized needles.  Measuring in mm's the results are the same, the diameter is greater than stated on the packaging.  Just wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.  It's sooo frustrating!

When I click on a pattern I see "Add to favorites".  When I look for that pattern again, I really have to look for it.  I then see a spot to click on, that says "Remove from favorites".  I have used this feature on other sites, so this is really confusing for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 7:17 PM

kneedler:
When I click on a pattern I see "Add to favorites".  When I look for that pattern again, I really have to look for it

Hi kneedler,

Chuckles here because I haven't used that feature for the patterns on KD but I have for other patterns from other sites.  What I usually do with patterns from the net is save them to my desktop.  They are always there when I go back for them.

Is it a particular brand of knitting needle that is "mislabeled" for size?  I haven't come across this.  I have been knitting off and on for 40 yrs.  I live in Canada.  I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  But knitting needle sizes are standard.  Was it just one pair that you had trouble with in regards to size??

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

PS  What are you knitting at the moment?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Susan Cohen wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 12:26 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I have done some research since my post and it seems that the quality is inconsistent.  Sharp points vs. dull points, sticky cords, broken cords, breakage in the smaller size needles.  I have decided that my first instinct was correct and I will spend the money on a good quality needle instead.

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 1:18 PM

Susan Cohen:
 I have decided that my first instinct was correct and I will spend the money on a good quality needle instead.

Hi Susan,

You are living proof that knitters are smart and clever!  Let us know which set you go with.  I have found that some brands have a sharper point too and I prefer to knit with these ones.  I haven't tried wooden ones.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 2:42 PM

Hi, Kneedler!:

I like Clover. I also bought bamboo needles. I took my gauge needles and the kit of circular kneedles I have and fortunately they are all right. They fit exactly. Maybe you keep them in a wet place or perhaps where you use to buy your needles is exposed to temperature changes. My friends use the straight ones and they haven´t complained about them either.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kneedler wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 4:37 PM

Thanks for your reply.  All my needles are thoughtfully and carefully stored.  All my older needles are just fine.  This has happened brand new, straight from the store, right out of the package, at least 3 different times, in both straight and circular needles.  In fact, on the last circular needle purchased, there was a marked difference at each end.  I've used wood and bamboo for years and have not encountered this problem in the past.  I have always been happy with Clover (owning many needles of that brand), I now find myself becoming disenchanted with them. I will just have to be much more careful when shopping for new needles.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Susan Cohen wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 6:44 PM

Hi Zoe,

Not sure how smart and clever I am, just a cynic.  Don't believe you can get something for nothing.  Wish that I could afford  a set of needles but that is something my wallet won't allow.   The only reason I am looking is the project I want to do needs a size 6 and 8 36" circular needle.  Plus. since I never get the gauge using the size listed in the pattern I will probably also buy size 5 and 7.  I prefer the bamboo needles myself so will check local yarn shops, joann's and michaels.   Something tells me that I will probably have to order from the internet.  And then I need to find the perfect red yarn.

Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 8:04 PM

Susan Cohen:
the project I want to do needs a size 6 and 8 36" circular needle.  Plus. since I never get the gauge using the size listed in the pattern I will probably also buy size 5 and 7.

Hi Sue,

What I would likely do, is if you have the size 6 and 8 and 5 and 7 in straight or dpns, is do swatches with them to see which ones you actually need to buy for your project.  I don't have a "set" of needles from one place either, the pocket book is rather empty at times1!  hehe,  such is the life of a knitter!.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Susan Cohen wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 10:58 PM

Zoe.

Thanks so much for the great suggestion, I'll try that. 

Sue

Not Ranked
Posts 2
babzp wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 10:14 AM

I always soak the cord in boiling water for 2 minutes.  It straightens them perfectly.  Be careful not to get the bamboo wet. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS