How do I correct "curled" edges on knitted scarf?

This post has 35 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 10:19 PM

Hi MrsConnor,

Below is a link from this site's glossary re picking up stitches.  This will help you understand the concept.  At the top of kd's page you will see a brown bar and under Free Resources is a drop down list - Glossary is the last - click to take to all sorts of info. 

http://www.knittingdaily.com/glossary/pick-up-stitches-purlwise.aspx 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MrsConnor12 wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 10:28 AM

Yay!! Thank you so much :) now of to fix my scarf!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
davidsop wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 6:07 PM

I have been knitting for years and years and should have know that the scarf I was working on would curl on the edge, but for some reason I just didn't think about it.  And I sure don't want to rip it all apart.  So I am going to do the crochet edge on it.  Maybe even a little shell stitch or something like that.  This is a pretty cool site and I will be checking it often.

Anybody know of a web site that has free patterns for larger size women?  I want to do a shawl but they are all to small and tight and when I try to make them larger they just don't work out right.  I need a pattern that starts out for large size gals.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bylard wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 8:20 AM | Locked

I can't fix this, but in the future:  An easy to remember and simple way to keep edges from curling is: at the beginning and the end of every row, knit one, purl one; not too tight or too loose; same thing on each end.  This makes a pretty straight edge, especially on scarves. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MrsConnor12 wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 12:27 PM

Bylard - that's a really great tip :) the scarf I made was an infinity scarf knitted with circular needles. Would that method still work to keep the edges from curling?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mari06 wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 11:49 AM

Hello, I have the same problem but I do not know how to add a trim edge. I would really appreciate it if you could explain a little more in detail. 

Thank you very much :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 4:46 PM

Hi Mari,

When you begin your project:

If you are knitting straight/back and forth:  Just k1 at the beginning of each row, slip the next stitch as if to purl, then continue on in your pattern stitch.  When you turn, do the same k1,s1.  This will give you two nice finished edges. 

When you are finishing your project: 

If you are knitting in the round, then the curling is occuring from top to bottom 56, not side to side 89.  Then you could crochet an edge if you are finished with the knitting, or you could use a different stitch pattern to stop the edge curling such as garter stitch, or ribbing.  If you know how to crochet, then just stick your crochet hook into a stitch, or a space between stitches, (depending on the look you want) and start crocheting whichever type of border you would like.  Try a few different stitches to see what they look like. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mari06 wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 1:16 PM

Thank you ZassZ.  I am actually using the stockinette stitch with 3 purls repeated at the end to create a striped effect (like a bump). I do this every 12 rows. I began my scarf with 6 rows of ribbing (p1k1) therefore the bottom and top won't curl but my edges along the sides are still curling.  Is there a stitch I can use at the beginning and end of each row that will prevent my scarf from rolling?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 6:09 PM

Hi Mari

Here is a copy of part of my previous post. If you do this the edges will be straight.  

ZassZ:

Hi Mari,

When you begin your project:

If you are knitting straight/back and forth: Just k1 at the beginning of each row, slip the next stitch as if to purl, then continue on in your pattern stitch. When you turn, do the same k1,s1. This will give you two nice finished edges.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 9:43 PM

MARI,

I meant to put this up for you earlier.  You can notice the bottom edge of this cowl does not curl.  The top edge has a crochet border on.   

ZassZ:

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mari06 wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 7:32 AM

Thank you very much ZassZ! I appreciate your help and I look forward to knitting my scarf with the help of your tips. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 7:47 PM

Hi Mari,

Your welcome.  Hope when you are finished you can put up a pic over in Fabulous Projects completed lately? thread.  Hope it goes well. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
mamtaaccha wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 8:24 PM

Hello davidsop you can see plus size patterns at knitpick.com although not free patterns . but there r many designs and in general for variation in sizes the stitches are given in parenthesis for extra size . either u can take your measurement and add up four times to know how many rings to cast on. for example if the bust measurr 36" then measure the knitting yarn 36" and add 4 times to it which comes upto 154.  this method uses longtail cast on . hslve the knitting yarn and cast on and you will get exact number of stitches on ur knitting needle. i hope this helps as i do this for msking a pattern which is always correct. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mari06 wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 9:48 PM

Hi again! I was halfway through my scarf only to realize that it was still curling a lot. I am doing a stockinette stitch (one row knit, one row purl) with 3 purl rows in a row every 12 rows to create a line. I tried knitting and slipping the first stitches of every row but it doesn't seem to have worked. Should I have knit and slip on one row, and purl and slip on the next?

Thanks again for the help. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
amalbici wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 10:04 AM

I normally use a woman's size then add on according to the measurement by 1/4 or how much larger the size of the person is (i've not failed so far). 

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS