Interweave Knits Spring 2011

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 5:28 PM

I just recieved my spring issue today, and wondered what everyone else thought about it. I haven't found a thread that talked about it so I just decided to start one. What do you think about it? What do you like/don't like? Why?

My opinion:

I thought that there weren't very many patterns in it, but it was actually more than last year's spring issue. But it makes up for that by the patterns being great patterns. Usually the more I look at a magazine the more I like it. And I have only looked at it (about) once. I really liked the Ravelings at the end. I loved most of the 'sweaters' in the flax section. It may not be my favorite issue, but it definitely was a hit with me.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Feb 17, 2011 9:37 AM

Hi, I too have just received the spring issue. (Only my second issue ever!) Smile  

I also liked some of the sweaters in the flax section. As a relatively new knitter I don't know that I can pull any of these off, especially since I am a little heavyset and not sure I could fit the pattern ......     with that being said, not too keen on all the lace patterns, Cute but not for me.

And I looked at the end of the magazine and I am not sure what the "Ravelings" is?????   Please explain. 

Overall I liked the issue.  Some good tips and ideas.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 1:44 PM

The Ravelings is the on the second to last page and is usually written by a knitter. This time a knitter wrote about how her father had taught her to darn socks.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JaniceT wrote
on Feb 23, 2011 12:10 PM

I received my issue yesterday, 2/22/11.  I'm usually disappointed on the first go round of my viewing of Interweave Knits.  I'm not sure why, but the more I look at it, the more I like each issue.  I have been a subscriber now since 2004.  Upon thinking about why I don't fall in love with each issue on the first go round, I think it's because of the styling of the various garments/items.  For example, the little girl's green dress.  Personally, I think it's styled pretty ugly, and yet it's an adorable dress.  My neighbor here at work looked at the picture online in the preview and stated that the child looked homeless.  I happen to agree.  Who would dress their child with two shirts underneath such a cute dress and then put some sort of thin pants rather than tights under it.  Okay, I realize everyone is different and likes the different looks of things, but I've been wondering about this styling for several issues over the past two years.  Just my opinion.  I guess I'm more traditional about dressing than I thought.  But I think the dress itself is beautiful.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
L Tyler wrote
on Feb 24, 2011 9:25 AM

I like the entrelac tee in particular. I actually have some hand-dyed, handspun wool that is amost exactly the colorway shown in the project. It's a small world, after all ...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Szandrah wrote
on Feb 25, 2011 10:00 AM

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the place to make suggestions for the magazine, but I hope it can be. Idea Although I was thinking of it earlier, I realized again with this issue that most garments could be redesigned for children as it is with Ruched Yoke Tee. So I would be happy with more sizes or a longer article with measurments of the normal children sizes and a description about how to change sizes or redesign the patterns for them. Maybe this is not a problem for a more expirienced  knitter but as they writes articles about the basics as well, I hope to see something like this in the future.

Generally I'm very pleased with the magazine and this issue, my special favorits are the Heliotropic Pullover and the V-Yoke Cardigan. I also like the Garden Plot Dress and determined to make one for my daughter, but I do not like the style of the little girl with the loose leggings, it is quite awful. Thanks for listening. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LisaB@6 wrote
on Feb 25, 2011 12:38 PM

I am excited like many about the projects in this issue, the geometry particularly of several including the entrelac and the hexagonal tees, also the  unusual construction of the gathered front tank.

However, I did think there were some problems with a few of the patterns as modeled.  The entrelac looked snug on the model, which might have been intentional as a fitted garment, but the photo comes across to me as more of an undesirably snug look, and if it looks snug on a slender model, heaven help the rest of us!  At the other end of the spectrum, the model for Tatiana's sweater seemed a little lost in that sample garment, and I'm guessing she would have been posed with no tee under the sweater, were it more closely fitting.  From checking other patterns where that particular model is featured, I take it that she has about a 33" bust and the smaller size of the sweater is 40".  With the stretchiness of the cables and lace, I'm guessing the optimal model for the smaller size would be someone in the 39-41" bust range, with minimum to negative ease.

I know that the fit of a garment is so subjective and that something of course can be fashionably fitted or fashionably loose!  I look forward to seeing the galleries and what the sweaters actually work like on a variety of figures and sizes, but it is a little disappointing to have to use your imagination with the pics as they are in the issue, to gauge what a number of the items might look like in a fitted-but-not-snug to moderate ease range.  (I'd almost rather see a relatively amateurish pic by the designer, using his/her actual model for the sweater, if there was such a model, than see the same professionally photographed model or a group of similarly proportioned models wearing a disparate range of sizes.)

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DebbieH@2 wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 11:53 AM

I also have my spring 2011 edition, I love the Hexagonal Tee, I have  trouble  connecting block #1 to block #2, any advise

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on May 9, 2011 10:47 AM

I haven't subscribed for a couple of years now.  I check out each issue as the previews come out, and I continue to be disappointed.  It doesn't seem like there is ever something "I've GOTTA make".   I've finally decided rather than subscribe, that I will watch each issue's previews, and just purchase it by the issue.  So far I've saved a LOT of money, but am SAD!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS