appropriate yarn for dog sweater, waterproof

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 4:48 PM

Paradise  Can you suggest the appropriate yarn to use for making a dog sweater.  It should retain warmth even if worn in the rain and gets wet.  Of course should be washable.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  I may just make my own pattern because the ones I have searched through seem confusing.  It's for a little Dachshund miniature. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
designinggal wrote
on Jul 13, 2008 1:37 PM

Dale of Norway makes a waterproof yarn called Hauk, it is 100% wool and treated with Teflon to make it waterproof.  It really works, a light rain just beads up and rolls right off.  You can see it and purchase it here

https://www.woolybaabaa.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=14

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 14, 2008 1:40 PM

designingal, thank you very much

I actually just finished the dog sweater a little while ago.  It turned out nice.  Maybe i will put a picture up of him wearing it. 

The Haul looks really good so I will order it and make another back up sweater because the first one came out really good.  The yarn i used was in my stash and was the only yarn i ever had which did not have a label so i do not know what it actually was.   Looks like a 100% wool in a neutral beige color.  So the Hauk actually looks very similar to what I had.  I think it will be the right gauge for anothe sweater without having to adjust the pattern I worked out.  I am really pleased with his sweater, it turned out perfect!  I just took his measurements and calculating and as I went along tried on him for fit. 

Really appreciate seeing this yarn.  I really really like it.    What have you made with it?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 21, 2008 3:26 PM

Rather than treating the wool with chemicals like Teflon that are toxic, try working with a handspinner to leave the natural oils in the wool. They are naturally water repellant. Your dog's health is worth it.

Wool holds 30% of its weight in water before it even feels wet. This makes it great for snowball fights and building snowmen as well.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS