"Easy-to-knit" jargon

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
LuiseE wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 7:17 AM

Please rethink your use of such wordy and redundant terms as "easy-to-knit" and similar phrases. I guess we think everyone needs reassurance, so books are "easy to read," recipes are "easy to cook," etc. . A task is either easy, challenging, hard, or whatever. No need to repeat the name of the task itself. We live in an age of overwhelming and unnecessary hype. We don't need to encourage it -- and insult people at the same time. Luise Erdmann, Cambridge, Mass.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 7:50 AM

LuiseE:
Please rethink your use of such wordy and redundant terms as "easy-to-knit" and similar phrases.

Hi LuiseE,

A little education is needed for you about the knitting.  Frankly, I do think you are a bit negative in your approach to words that have been used to describe the knitting terminology that has been around for decades.  These terms have been used long before easy to read and easy to cook terms.  It is the standard by which all knitting projects are graded by.  This is for the purpose of labeling how difficult or challanging a project is to knit.  The knitting terms are assigned to the knitting project based on how many different types of stitches that are used in the knitting project.  All knitters are familiar with these terms no matter where they live.  Perhaps you should rethink your thoughts on trying to change the entire knitting standards terminology.  Perhaps you did not know why certain terms were used and why they are used to discribe each knitting project.  It is not just KD that uses the terminology, all knitting companies use this.

If something offends you, then dont read it, listen to it, or watch it.   And dont mess with the system and cause chaos.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 5
IQuantum wrote
on May 6, 2011 3:35 AM

You are so negative. They are basics that is why they are called easy.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jun 23, 2011 1:47 PM

I think the bigger issue I have is that when I see something that says "easy to..." I expect it to actually BE easy to do! i still remember buying this cookbook and it was full of really weird foods and stuff that I couldn't pronounce, and all of the "easy" recipes called for exotic ingredients. I don't mind if something is hard or uses weird foods (I love weird foods) but COME ON! Actually calling it "easy to cook"? What a load of bull! Which is sometimesh ow I feel about the "easy" Vogue knitting patterns...lalalala...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Jun 23, 2011 9:13 PM

Well, if we are saying "easy to" it is supposed you are not an ignorat person without own criteria. You are buying a book and the author does not know you ignore the terminology at all about what ever is the subject of the book . If you both feel discourage, what a pitty. I think it should be instead a challenge . You can become more educated people because now you will know new things you didn't even know they existed since long, long time ago. Then you can even boast about your new knowledge. Ummmm!

It sounds better, isn't it?

Knowledge opens doors!!!! (and your brain too!!!!!!!!!!!)

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 24, 2011 12:13 AM

LuiseE:
Please rethink your use of such wordy and redundant terms as "easy-to-knit" and similar phrases.

I didn't see this post when it originally appeared. Now I'm sitting here shaking my head in amazement. There is so much negativity + nastiness taking up space/ energy in this world....why waste any more even thinking about the difference between "easy" + "easy-to-knit".  They both are just labels that indicate the same thing....EASY!!!

Perhaps a very early beginner may not easily be able to tell the difference between knit + crochet...."easy-to-knit" may help them identify what they are looking at?

Speaking as a knitter of nearly 50 yrs....I'm not "insulted" by either term. They're just identifying labels + very useful to many. After all this time I'm lucky enough to be able to knit anything that appeals to me....but I'm often looking for a patt for others who may care about the degree of difficulty.

Let's all just knit + be HAPPY!!! ...... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pinguin wrote
on Jun 24, 2011 2:26 AM

Why is everyone thinking this person is negative? I think she is just stating a complaint. And I have to say, I agree with her. I remember when I first starting knitting years and years ago, it was extremely frustrating to look at patterns in magazines and books labeled as ,easy, that were far from it. And then even now, when I have many more skills and techniques under my belt, it still frustrates me to see a pattern labeled as ,easy, when it doesn't explain more complicated techniques in the patterns, or just expects you to know to do things, without telling you. Maybe these patterns are ,easy, to those who have knit many more years or a hundred more items than I have, but that doesn't make it fair to call it ,easy, to the standard knitter.

I have recently knit a pattern labeled as easy and just because I didn't understand to do some technique, when the pattern didn't even say so, of course my knitting confidence went down...I mean, I have been knitting so long and made so many things, I must be a poor knitter if I can't knit something labeled as ,easy, and I ended up frogging the piece because I didn't know HOW to complete it. Of course I know better now, I learned about the ,missing link, afterwards but even that took a dozen questions, when it could have just been explained in one line in the pattern itself.

But since terms like ,easy, ,intermediate, advanced, etc are subjective anyway, I tend to only use them as a guideline. What I truly wish is that more patterns would state at the beginning which skills are required as prerequisites for making the pattern, IF they aren't going to explain them in depth in the pattern itself. Come on knitting magazines, the standard knitter doesn't know every single technique in the world. Knitting is a constant learning process. But HELP us to learn by telling us what we need to know ahead of time.

Or better yet, publish more patterns and books that truly ,are, easy. There are new knitters everyday. Help them by providing easy to find instructions. And for those of us wanting to learn new techniques, publish more tutorial or ,beginner/my first xyz, patterns and books.

Just my two cents. I'm not being negative. Just being realistic.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS