Do I have enough? Help!

This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 1:04 PM

I have a shawl pattern that calls for about 450 yards of sock weight yarn.  I have a worsted weight yarn that I love for that shawl and have 218 yards of it.  Does anyone know if via conversion I have enough?  It's a triangular shawl half stockinette, half mesh lace.  It's 48" wide and 24" tall.  Or... if I don't have enough, dose anyone know how big I could make it with 218 yards?  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 3:38 PM

Take a look at your pattern and find out what the suggested gauge is supposed to be.  Then knit a swatch with your worsted weight and try to adjust the # of stitches to get the same gauge measurements.  Then you can start to find out whether or not you are going to have enough yarn.  Off hand I would say no.    What yarn brand is it? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 4:16 PM

It's a hand dyed yarn from Jill Draper.  And it is gorgeous!  I will try swatching and see if something will work or not.  It was one of those love the yarn love the pattern, situations, and now I just want to make it work.  I might be crazy. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:08 PM

If you can look at the yarn wrapper and see what the suggested needle size is for the Jill Draper yarn? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:10 PM

It says 4-5 stitches on size 7-9 needles.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 5:31 PM

Thanks, ok well let me know what happens with your swatch.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 5, 2011 10:45 PM

Well, I did a swatch and I am getting about 4 stitches and 4 rows to the inch.

The pattern is 5.5 stitches and 8 rows to the inch.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 2:59 PM

webknitter13:

I have a shawl pattern that calls for about 450 yards of sock weight yarn.  I have a worsted weight yarn that I love for that shawl and have 218 yards of it.  Does anyone know if via conversion I have enough?  It's a triangular shawl half stockinette, half mesh lace.  It's 48" wide and 24" tall.  Or... if I don't have enough, dose anyone know how big I could make it with 218 yards?  Thanks.

To start with you have a pattern using sock weight yarn and you say that
webknitter13:

Well, I did a swatch and I am getting about 4 stitches and 4 rows to the inch.

The pattern is 5.5 stitches and 8 rows to the inch.

You have roughly one half of the amount of yarn your pattern calls for.  Your getting one half the rows to the inch ( 4 rows instead of 8) so your gaining on the height of your stitches, but your not getting enough fewer stitches. To get the same size finished 48" wide and 24" tall you are going to have to change something.  In other words, you need to make a decision to alter the pattern size or change yarns. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 4:34 PM

Thank you so much for your help.  I think I am just going to make it a little smaller.  I'm short anyways, so that won't be a problem.  I will let you know how it turns out!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 5:39 PM

webknitter13:
I think I am just going to make it a little smaller.  I'm short anyways, so that won't be a problem.  I will let you know how it turns out!

Hi webknitter13,

You wont get a smaller item using a heavier weight yarn.  The article will become bigger and you will run out of yarn half way through your knitting!!! how frustrating this will be for you.  Get yourself the right yarn in the right amount and you will be happier.  Just a suggestion from a knitter who has been at it for 40 yrs.  This is just my voice of experience recommending a different solution to your problem.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 10:19 PM

Zoe:

webknitter13:
I think I am just going to make it a little smaller.  I'm short anyways, so that won't be a problem.  I will let you know how it turns out!

Hi webknitter13,

You wont get a smaller item using a heavier weight yarn.  The article will become bigger and you will run out of yarn half way through your knitting!!! how frustrating this will be for you.  Get yourself the right yarn in the right amount and you will be happier.  Just a suggestion from a knitter who has been at it for 40 yrs.  This is just my voice of experience recommending a different solution to your problem.

Hi.  My previous post was after I determined my gauge on the heavier weight yarn.  I determined how many stitches I would need to make it smaller.  So... I am casting on less stitches than in the original pattern.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 7:43 AM

webknitter13:
I am casting on less stitches than in the original pattern.

Hi webknitter13,

I understand that, but even so, your pattern requires almost double the amount of yards you need than what you have.  You will run out of yarn long before the item is finished!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 7, 2011 12:11 PM

Zoe:
Hi webknitter13,

I understand that, but even so, your pattern requires almost double the amount of yards you need than what you have.  You will run out of yarn long before the item is finished!

Morning Zoe, 

She is working her pattern in a smaller version so even though she is using a heavier weight yarn, she can still achieve a smaller version of the "pattern".  In other words it will be different overall smaller dimensions and will not run out of yarn because she is not making it the same SIZE. 

Having said that , there are other choices available to webknitter13, but it will be an exercise in working a pattern in different dimensions, using less yarn and still get a the same version of the pattern stitches  .

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 10:03 AM

HI webknitter 13,

So how goes it?  I guess by now you know if you will continue with the yarn you love for this?  I imagine your doing fewer pattern stitch repeats as well?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
webknitter13 wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 2:25 PM

Well I decided to just order a second ball as the dyer still had some left.  Yay!  I went as far as I could with the first ball on size 11 needles and its beautiful.  Now I am just impatiently checking my mailbox for ball #2 so I can keep going.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS