Hi, everyone, new here

This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 6
redwine579 wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 1:15 PM

Hi, everyone, just wanted to say hi.  I've only been on this site for a short while and this is the first time "blogging" anywhere.  Am a self-taught knitter with lots of learning still to do.  Tried to knit years and years ago, but nothing seemed to go right.  Started again a couple months ago, and  it seems to be going great.  Even went out and bought a "Knitting for Dummies" book, which I now consider a bible ... lol.  Taking my time with new stitches and patterns.  My next thing to learn is the cable.  Somehow, it scares me?  Should I be?  After that, it is to do patterned things.  Now THAT scares me.  This past week, I saw the Helix scarf pattern and when i saw it, my first thought was, oh, my god, I need to make that.  So I started making it on regular yarn to see how it turns out, and so far is going great.  So great, I went out and got some yarn at a yarn shop and plan on knitting a "special" scarf for myself.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mmcantu wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 3:57 PM

Hi there. New here myself too, although i've been knitting for 2 years now. Still a novice compared to others.  Cabling scared me at first too, but just take it slowly and read your pattern carefully.  And always remember you can always start over.

One of the things i do is to make two of the same project @ the same time. One is what I consider my practice one(in other words i can mess up on it and not worry about if it has some mistakes) the 2nd one is the one i plan to give away or use. And if both turn out fine well then great, I have 2 to give away. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 6
redwine579 wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 9:07 AM

Hi, glad to hear from you.  Last nigt I took a break from the helix scarf and started another scarf.  Have 2 other projects which I need to finish too.  One is a crocheted baby blanket and the other is a knitted basketweave baby blanket.  Both are orders from a co-worker as she is due in June.  Plus she has asked for a baby hat with monkey ears.  So I don't have much time left.  What are you working on now?  And that is a good idea, too, in making 2 items at the same time.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 1:14 PM

Dear Lawyergirl78,

You did cross the line when you posted link sites about nonknitting advertisement things!  And you further spout off about knowing how to knit and yet you post stupid things about knitting when you claim to have been knitting for a long long long time.  Not only that, but you look like you know nothing about knitting when you post things inappropriately.  Like you just did on this thread.  Shame on you and stop it or get off the site.  We dont appreciate the way you try to come across.  You are not helping anyone nor are you adding anything beneficial to knitters everywhere!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 1:27 PM

redwine579:
went out and bought a "Knitting for Dummies" book, which I now consider a bible ... lol. 

Hi redwine579,

I have been knitting for about 40 yrs.  A few months ago I went out and bought this same book!  What a great source of useful information!!  and the diagrams are priceless!  So easy to understand.  I have arthritis and when I cant hold the needles, I can prop up the knitting books and read, read, read them again and again!  It is good to knit things for yourself!  I personally love to knit up socks because they are a quick easy item to knit up.

Which way do you knit?  I knit continental style and pick my stitches.  But when I do fair isle knitting, I do the English knit method too.  I hold the main color in my left hand and the secondary colors I hold in my right hand.  You will be able to knit up the cables and with anything, practice is the key to mastering the stitches.  I have many six inch hot pot matts for my table -- all with different stitch patterns and all in different colors.  They were my practice pieces.  lol, I might just as well have something for my efforts!! 

A knitter is never done learning new things and mastering new stitches.  If you need any help, Knitting Daily is where to ask for it! 

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mmcantu wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 2:20 PM

I haven't tried a helix scarf yet. My favorite thing to knit is hats.  They are easy and quick to knit up. I've done shawls & blankets, but they take a little longer.  I'm now working on about 7 different projects.  A couple of hats, 2 blankets, like 4 different shawls which include a shawl for my daugther's quince party. Although, i've restarted her shawl like 2 different times & i'm afraid i'm going to restart again becuase i'm not too excited about the pattern. Oh well, i have til July so i'm within enough time i hope.

Happy to come here & talk to other knitters.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
redwine579 wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 2:31 PM

I'm an "English" knitter; I did try the Continental, but I found it was awkward, but like you say, practice.  Besides  the knitting, I also do crochet.  Even with that, I am still finding out new stitches and ways I never dreamed of doing.  Out of the book, I finally learned how to join for circular needles properly; am definitely not a sewer!!  I'll have to let you know how the cabling goes (hint: I am such a procrastinator lol)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
redwine579 wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 2:38 PM

mmcantu, you really are busy.  You reminded me about blankets - have one put away (3/4 done) for one of my daughters who wants to give to her new mother-in-law for Christmas.  For your shawls, are you knitting or crocheting.  I've crocheted them but haven't tried knitting as yet.  And have never tried making a hat yet, but will soon, as I still need to find a pattern for a crochet baby hat with monkey ears.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 4:28 PM

redwine579:
My next thing to learn is the cable.  Somehow, it scares me?  Should I be?

Hi redwine579,

Nope, you should never be scared to tackle a new stitch method.  That is all cabling is -- doing the stitches in a different order.  You can be respectful of new things but never scared or intimidated.  I found you a nice little cable hat to make for the newborn/preemie.  It is a nice little practice piece.  There are also many cables to do!  You will be practiced perfect by the time you are done!

http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Cable-Hats/bitty-cabled-hat/ml/1

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 4:38 PM

mmcantu:
My favorite thing to knit is hats.  They are easy and quick to knit up.

Hi mmcantu,

I must confess that I have only ever made two knitted hats -- one was a simple ear flap hat for my son when he was two, he is now 28, and the other one was to learn how to do another stitch process that Elizabeth Zimmerman taught in her book Knitting without Tears.  I gave that one to my Mom.

Are you aquainted with the HATS CRAZY thread that is on KD?  One gal, ZassZ, is a hat buff!!   You should check it out.  I will post the thread link here if the edit button is working today!  hehe, sometimes it doesnt work!  Check out the cable hat link I posted in the post before this one.  Likely you have done this one or a similiar one??? 

http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/p/5563/46710.aspx#46710

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mmcantu wrote
on Mar 19, 2011 3:36 PM

redwin579,

I do very little crocheting. As a matter of fact I did some on a hat I knitted for my niece that had cabling in it but the hat ending with a crocheted brim. It was scary at first but i just kept following the pattern, took a deep breath and figured if i messed up i could always just pull it apart.  It was fun and i've even started a new one in a different color, but on this one I'm going to cut the brim off a hat and stitch it to the cabled part i've knitted. I'm interested to see how it will turn out.

Tongue Tied

Not Ranked
Posts 6
redwine579 wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 12:36 PM

mmcantu, have crocheted for several years and, like knitting, bought several magazines with instructions.  Even now, I still run across stitches that I have never used before.  How's the new project going?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
redwine579 wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 12:52 PM

mcmantu and zoe -

Well, I bit the bullet over the weekend and tried something new.  I knitted a neckwarmer/cowl over the weekend, and ... tada .. I actually tried a cable.  I have a question though.  After the sts are moved over to the cable needles and you begin the other sts, is how close to knit together, are they to be knitted "as normal", or have a small space between ... plus, when you begin knitting from the cable needles, are the sts supposed to be tight to knit off the needle?  Or am I doing something wrong?  After I finished the neckwarmer, it looked fine, although I noticed that after the cable st were added on, (and I continued on with the next sts), the next sts seemed to be loose.  If it isn't supposed to be like this, well, I guess I had better knit tighter then after a cable.  Yet when I tried it on, everything seemed fine.  If I can get your input/advice, that'd be great.  Thanks Tongue Tied

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mmcantu wrote
on Mar 22, 2011 10:33 AM

Redwine,

Congrats on trying. It was fun huh? I experienced the same problem, but I'm what my boss says a "tight" knitter so I was careful when doing the cabling to be a little less tight.  Like you said when the project was finished it looked fine, but I could tell where I had been a little loose. Hopefully a more experienced knitter can give us some pointers.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
milroygrams wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 9:14 PM

Zoe, wow give the kid a break. Did you not read that she is TWELVE???  Raves to Lawyergirl for knitting and communicating.  Some of us adults are complete idiots when it comes to computers and all the intricate ways to use them.  I'm learning something new about them every day. You were pretty rough on her. i haven't read her post you were ranting about, but did she really commit such a big booboo that you needed to be so harsh? And she was adult enough to apologize.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS