Knitting help

This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
vslims1962 wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 1:54 PM

I have sent you a picture of what my knitted scarf looks like taken apart. I washed my scarf and it got tangled together. I managed to untangle it and this is what it looks like.  A single knitted line with dingle balls 31/2 inchs apart on it. Total lenght is about 37 yards. How do I put my scarf back together? Can you help?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
on Apr 12, 2011 3:02 PM

It is impossible for me to tell by looking at this photo what happened, but I fear your scarf and yarn may be lost.  To know for sure it is best for someone to look at this in person to see if it is salvageable or not.  Take it to your local yarn store for assistance.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 3:15 PM

Was this a "washable" yarn?  What did the label say?  Cotton, polyester, or wool or some sort?  Did you use hot or cold water and machine wash or hand wash?  Sad   You could use it as a fan pull or a light pull cord or hang in garden?  Don't despair if you can't get it untangled, then recylce it for another use.  How about a belt? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 5:41 PM

Hi vslims1962,

I think you have to untangle it and unravel the rest. Make a skein and start over. Try to wash your hands every time you are going to knit so you don't have to wash ever it again. Don't forget to spray on it a little Teflon before the first use.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 6:18 PM

It may not be possible to untangle but if it is possible, I would think she would try. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 10:40 AM

Hi vslims1962,

Maybe you want to see these videos I found long ago in Youtube and just remembered. In the search box you should type rafquintal. They are spoken in portuguese. You just have to watch. So you can check out if you are doing the same in your knitting.

Bye, bye.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 11:03 AM

Hi All,

Is this yarn not the pom pom yarn??  It seems to me that this is what it is.  What you do to knit the scarf back up again, is just knit the scarf in garter stitch (knit every row).  Of course this time you must make sure to secure the ends so it doesnt unravel when you wash it.  You can put this into a mesh bag and wash on gentle.  Air dry flat.

Check this out:   http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/2011/02/pompom-yarn-scarf.html

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 11:43 AM

Hi Zoe,

Oh I get it now!  Thanks for the big picture. 

By the way, would you please check your email ANSWER.  I hope I am not confusing you.  How did you catch a cold?  I guess if you knew that you wouldn't have caught it, eh?  So sorry your a little under the weather.  Hope you'll get over it quickly.  How did the rest go?  Anyway I wrote you all about it, once you check your mail you'll see what I mean, hopefully.  Talk to you soon.   

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vslims1962 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 4:39 PM

Ok the disasters accured when I machine washed my scarf. Now this was a gift already made so I have no Idea if it is washable yarn. The picture you see is one that shows the pattern knitted to create the scarf. It seems to me that all that has to been done is to create this scarf with this you see in the picture. Looks like it could just be a intertwine process. What do you think? Thanks for you reply.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vslims1962 wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 4:42 PM

Is this a reply to my needed help in recreating my dissembled scarf? I quite don't understand your reply to me

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 4:52 PM

Hi vslims1962,

If you check out my post about the pom pom yarn, then that post was meant for you but also for everyone else who is trying to figure out what your yarn is.  Have a look at the link I posted in there and tell me if that is not what you had???  I am only guessing here but it looks like after you unraveled/untangled your washed scarf, you are left with pom pom yarn.  It can be knitted back up into a scarf.  Check out the link that I posted to you.  It does give a few photos as to the yarn and the way the scarf looks knitted up.  

This yarn is also known as pomp a doodle yarn.  Red Heart yarn makes it.  I found you a video as to how to knit a scarf with this yarn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vr7mCoOMjA  It really is an interesting yarn to knit a project with, isn't it???

Not Ranked
Posts 6
vslims1962 Wink [;)] wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 7:16 PM

Yes, Thats exactly what I have!Wink I went to youtube and watch the video and Im now on my way. I do have Knitted experience, not a whole lot on hands, but I'm sure I can handle this one. I have did alot of Crocketting in the pass. I haven't pick much the needles lately. I want to thank you so very much for all your time and help you've given me. You know this little scarf I got as a Christmas gift and I have gotten so many compliments on it, and not only that but I just love it. The colors are great. Once again I thank you for your help here on knitting Daily and I'm glad I came here for help. Have a nice day, ZoeWink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 7:54 PM

Hi vslims1962,

I am so glad I could help you out.  Bookmark the video on your favorites so you can return to it again and again, as many times as you need to.  Do post a picture as to how this Christmas present looks after you re-knit the gift!  lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 8:04 PM

Hi Zoe,

So glad you could help her out too.  I had a minute to look at the video just now.  This was a "funny" one wasn't it?  SurpriseWink

Well vslims 1962 I guess you'll be reconstructing the scarf then!  lol!  Have fun. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 10:07 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Have you ever knit with this yarn??  would you now knit with it???  it is quite the unique yarn, isnt it??  who knew such yarn was even around???  I recall seeing it in a Mary Maxim catalogue.  My Mom and I discussed it quite a while ago.  hehe lol  Wouldnt the kittens and cats have a ball with this yarn string!!!.  Hey, you could knit up a "top hat" with it! or one of those English beefeater hats.  It sure would be colorful and a conversation piece!!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS