Hitchhiker Spinning Wheel

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jun 17, 2008 7:52 AM

I'm curious about the Hitchhiker Spinning Wheel. I'm looking for a portable spinning wheel for classes and spin-ins.

Does it work as well as people say it does? Any opinions out there? Any other recomendations?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
Rebecca S wrote
on Jun 18, 2008 4:04 PM

Hi Denise!
I have a Kromski Sonata wheel that I just love and its very portable- folds flat, and best yet, spins like a full size wheel.  It has one of the highest orifice heights - 28"-30" which really  saves on your back!  It comes with a very nicely made, padded bag that has a pocket for extra bobbins, tools and such. I have had mine for several months and just love it!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
HettyB wrote
on Aug 11, 2008 11:22 PM

I don't have a Hitchhiker wheel but am intrigued by them.  Right now I'm not at a place where I can buy another wheel, but it's on the list.

Any actual owners out there?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SusanD@4 wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 3:00 AM

I'm newly joined, so late in replying.  I actually own a Hitchhiker and LOVE it.  It is my second wheel - the first is a Louet S10dt.  My Hitchhiker hums gently.  I pay attention to the direction the flyer is going and don't trouble my mind with the wheel itself.  The only thing I would do differently if I were buying it again is to get one without the cute handle - then it would fit tidily under the dashboard of my husband's van.  Otherwise it is easy to carry and great to spin.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
SharonW wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 7:39 AM

Hi Rebecca --- I am glad you love your Sonata.  I have a Kromski Minstrel that I love too, but I want a Sonata.  I am thinking of selling the Minstrel and getting a Sonata.  I also have an Ashford Traditional that I have set up with a bulky flyer for bulky weight spinning, which I'll keep just for that. 

I've spun on the Sonata and it was nice and smooth.  My friends say I should sell the Ashford and get the Sonata.  So, I am trying to decide what to do.

Sharon in Canandaigua

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Sep 23, 2008 12:05 PM

I don't have a hitchhiker, but have spun on one and it was my first choice (until I spun on the Sonata).

It is a direct drive, which took a couple minutes to get use to, but it spun like a charm.

Cyndi

Not Ranked
Posts 2
BlueShadow wrote
on Nov 8, 2008 7:52 PM

Hi, I'm a little late to this discussion, but I have a Hitchhiker and love it. I bought it without the "hand" handle, and while I like the look better this way, it's a bit harder to carry. It spins very well, and is so sturdy that I've taken it in a basket on the back of my motorcycle while camping. It's the portable workhorse of my spinning wheel collection!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DUchida wrote
on Nov 19, 2008 8:46 PM

I too am curious about hands on experience.  I've had an Ashford Traveller, sold when my husband bought me a Kromski Travelling spinning wheel but by the time it takes me to set up and get spinning my lunch time is nearly over at work.  I want one that all I have to do is set it, spin then tuck it under my desk when my lunch hour is over.  Does any one have any hands on experience?  Pros/Cons?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
wvtraveler wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 12:33 PM

I am having trouble making the flyer go in the right direction on my new Hitchhiker.  It keeps wanting to go left.  Any suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
David Paul wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 6:51 PM

Some experienced spinners find that a existing 'brain/muscle' path wants the wheel to be going in the direction of the flyer and when that doesn't happen an error message goes out to the foot.

Focus on the direction of the flyer and ignore the drive wheel.  If yours is a ST be sure to use true 'heel/toe' action to carry the turn of the wheel over the top.

Dave

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sheilakiefer wrote
on Jun 17, 2013 9:23 AM

I own a hitchhiker. It's the only wheel I own because I'm still learning and I wanted something inexpensive. I LOVE it! I do not get confused regarding the direction it's turning lol but maybe if I had ever owned a "regular" wheel it would be different. All I really want to spin are skinny yarns, so I can't say how it would work to make bulkier yarns or "art" yarns, but I love what I have been able to spin on it :) I also love that everything's right there with the wheel. I toss it in my car all the time and take it with me to knit group and it is holding up well to the abuse! 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS