sock gussets

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
mbh2mt2d wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 10:06 AM

Greetings fellow sockie makers!

Happy Spring!

I have been knitting socks for a couple of years now and have discovered a new way of making heels.  However, I seem the have the same problem with the holes on each side of gusset.  The big one that starts when you divide for the heel.  I tug, I twist and I still have those two holes.   Any help?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 10:36 AM

mbh2mt2d:
I seem the have the same problem with the holes on each side of gusset. 

Hi mbh2mt2d,

It really is simple and I am not sure why this is not taught in knitting books and sock knitting instructions.  It seems to be one of those tips that are passed around by other sock knitters who have had this taught to them.  In my case, my Mom passed this on to me.  She first started my sock knitting adventures when I was 10 and that was 40 yrs ago.

When you pick up the stitches along the heel flap to start the gusset, you must pick up the stitch below on the instep needle (I think this is needle #2)  where it meets the heel flap.  So on needle two, you will pick up the stitch below at the beginning and end of this needle.  You will have to make two extra decreases when you do the decreases to form the gussett in order to get back to the origional number of stitches you cast on for.  Simple isnt it?  I always knit my socks from the cuff down on dpns and I dont know of any other way to get around this "holey gussette" stuff.  Try it and see.

When you go to pick up the stitches on the left side of the heel flap, you will first pick up the left leg of the first stitch below on the instep needle before continueing to pick up the heel flap stitches.

When you go to pick up the stitches on the right side of the heel flap, you will pick up the right leg of the first stitch below on the instep needle.

No more holes in the gussette!

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mbh2mt2d wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 3:37 PM

Hi, Zoe,

Thanks for the into, now I know what to do with a heel flap sock.  I still have the same problem with the wrapped last stitch heel.  These are the ones that look storebought.  There are no stitches to pick up.  While they are smoother on the foot, I still get those holes on the sides.

Marybeth

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 3:58 PM

mbh2mt2d:

Hi, Zoe,

Thanks for the into, now I know what to do with a heel flap sock.  I still have the same problem with the wrapped last stitch heel.  These are the ones that look storebought.  There are no stitches to pick up.  While they are smoother on the foot, I still get those holes on the sides.

Marybeth

Hi Marybeth,

I must confess that I have never made one of these heels because I like my heel flap ones!  hehe -- trying to break a knitter out of their comfort zone is something else!!!    My Mom has done a couple of these heels and started doing this only a month or two ago.  Before that it was all heel flaps and gussettes. 

I looked at her heels on those socks and they look great.  Nice neat tidy diagonal line and no holes.  Perhaps it is your pattern??  I dont have the answer for you but I know the first pair of socks she did this way was from Patons.  I will get the sock pattern number for you and post it back.  You have to register and sign up for Patons to access their patterns.

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

PS  Here is the name of the socks.  I didnt take note if there are wrapped stitches or not.  I dont think so and I dont know if this makes a difference or not.    Kroy Socks - Upsidedowners (Toe-Ups)   When my Mom did these, she just used one solid color and didnt change colors for the heels or toes.    http://www.patonsyarns.com/index.php   This is the Patons web link.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 12:11 AM

Hi Marybeth...

mbh2mt2d:
I still have the same problem with the wrapped last stitch heel.  These are the ones that look storebought.  There are no stitches to pick up.  While they are smoother on the foot, I still get those holes on the sides.

Yesterday I posted a link on the SOCKS thread you may find helpful. Here is the link to that page...it's the 10th post down I believe. Starts: "Hi Sharon" + there is a link to a sock patt using the "jo-jo heel".  It's a short row heel similar to what you are describing.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/p/5076/63785.aspx#63785

Whatever type of heel I make....if there is a hole....I frequently pick up an extra st + immediately knit (or purl depending on the patt) it tog w/ the one next to it....hole GONE!!!

Hope this helps....... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mbh2mt2d wrote
on Apr 22, 2011 10:39 AM

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for the link.  I have never made it passed using three needles and one working needle, but I will give it a try.  I still have one question.  The pattern  has an instruction called a double stitch....Is this a k2together stitch?  If you hear a primal scream, it's only me.Confused

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 4:03 PM

Hi Marybeth....

Sorry to make you wait so long for an answer. I'm a bit "hit or miss" lately due to health.

The double stitch they are talking about in this patt is described under "Jojo-heel".  After:

"2nd row (Ws): (s)tart with 1 double st:" .....at the end of the next line  it finally describes it:

"the stitch is drawn over the needle and is now double."

Try it.....You are on a WS/ purl side....you'll find that if you take the yarn over the top of the needle + pull hard....it draws up a double strand fr the row below. We've all done that accidentally when we start a row of knitting w/ the yarn on the wrong side of the work + pull on it trying to sort it out.

Then according to the patt....you will do this @ the beg of all the following rows. Working back + forth stopping short @ the dble st fr the previous row....short rows!!! By having this "pulled tight" dbl st @ each turning point...it snugs up any possible holes. Easier to see where the short row stops too.

If you look @ the 1st pic in the patt...the heel flap laid flat ready to start increasing again......you can see that the 2 side dpns have all "dbl sts" + the center dpn has normal sts.

I haven't actually done this patt...but it makes sense. I AM going to try it @ some point....like trying new methods. I have done many kinds of heels: flap/ short row/ dutch/ Strong heel/ etc.  Actually the socks I have on this moment are made w/ a Strong heel. Here's the link to the free patt for them if you're interested?

http://limedragon.com/insidious/

They were originally a Sock Wars patt. I've never tried Sock Wars but have done some of the patts. This is a unique heel. It starts flaring out @ both sides of the ankle...but you keep working all around the sock as you go. Only when you hit "floor level" do you make a heel turn on part of the sts. I find it an easy heel to knit....made 3 pr maybe using it?

Knitters magazine issue 72/ Fall 2003 had socks that style. The website has free patts for 3 pr in their downloads.

p1: Asymmetrical Socks

p2: Conservative Socks

p3: Lace Socks ....I made these for a friend but dbled the length of the lace cuff.

If you or anyone is interested here's the link to their website...I linked directly to the 1st of their downloads pages:

http://www.knittinguniverse.com/community/downloads/?download_page_316=0

I'm going to post this sock patt info/ links over on our SOCKS thread too....why don't you come over there + visit?!?!

mbh2mt2d:
If you hear a primal scream, it's only me.

We've ALL let out a scream or 2!!!  Seriously...if you need more "discussion"...feel free to ask...I'll try to be quicker...but no promises!!!

Take Care..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Miss bunny wrote
on May 27, 2011 1:04 PM

wonderful explaination..........thanks

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS