Knitting in the (Near) Dark

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Karen M wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 11:03 PM

I recently purchased one set of those light-up needles. Shortly afterwards I used them to knit in the car during twilight and nighttime travel. Works well if the pattern is simple (I did a square washcloth in garter stitch). Also helped that the yarn was a light color. At first the lighted tips were a bit distracting to my driver/husband, but he got used to them quickly. Any tips from other knitters? I might use them to knit during movies, since my kith and kin like dark parlors for watching TV.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 26, 2008 12:52 AM

Well, I only use those light-up needles when I am working something in black yarn.

As for knitting in dark places, I got myself one of those lamps on a headband, that you can put on your forehead. My husband loves to make fun of it ("Are you doing an open heart surgery today?") but it really works. And since I often have to sit in the back of the car with our son, right behind the driver's seat, he doesn't mind the light on my head.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 26, 2008 1:01 PM

KarenM

JulesG

I really had to smile about this.  My husband actually suggested buying me a flashlight on a headband.  He has used them for work around home when he needs to see and keep his hands free such as when climbing up a ladder to get to the roof, for example.  He has a whole collection of different flashlights (which he loves & does not want to part with), One day he presented me with my very own light on a headband.  At first I didn't think I would like the strap around my head but it's really just like an adjustable headband and it worked so well - I was really pleased with it.  It really lights up the work area without casting out too much light into the room so as not to disturb anyone else who may be napping.  Sleep 

I first used it on some crewel work that had a dark brown fabric background and I needed to really see well.  It really lit up the individual stitches.  It is like 'open heart surgery' when you don't want to pull out the wrong threads.  Sad 

I also like the idea of using the light up needles instead of the lighted headband in the car when I don't have much light cause I often knit while my husband is driving, til it gets dusk, then I would have to stop cause I couldn't be wearing that light in the front seat.    I am putting lighted needles on my list. 

Don't forget your batteries! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
JulesG wrote
on Jun 27, 2008 1:49 AM

ZassZ:

I first used it on some crewel work that had a dark brown fabric background and I needed to really see well.  It really lit up the individual stitches.  It is like 'open heart surgery' when you don't want to pull out the wrong threads.  Sad 

Glad I'm not the only one doing "open heart surgery" in my living room/bed. Wink

My husband offered to change the LEDs in my headband to blue ones this would make the light less distracting when I use them in the front seat - but I don't think blue light would be a good thing to knit under.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,771
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 27, 2008 1:07 PM

JulesG

The one I have actually has a switch.  Switch to left and it lights up red light, switch to the right and it lights up regular light.  It's called 'Energizer'.  His idea may work well, you could give it a try? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JanetM@3 wrote
on Jun 27, 2008 3:51 PM

I use a book light that I bought at Barnes and Nobel.  It hangs around the neck and can be aimed at the knitting.  It doesn't seem to bother anyone except the people laughing at me.  ( Some people don't seem to understand that we MUST KNIT.) I've had it a long time, so I don't know if they still sell this model.  jgm

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jul 22, 2008 9:00 AM

I also use a book light but the kind that clips on the pages of your book. But I clip it to the collar of my jacket or my vest...especially in the winter time when we wear heavier clothing. This way I can knit in the dark when I am a passenger in a car !Idea

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS