Sock Knitting Master Class: Knit Along with Ann Budd

This post has 302 Replies | 34 Followers rated by 7 users
Not Ranked
Posts 12
lorich83 wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 11:33 AM

This book is beautiful and I have learned lots already!  I'm trying a new sock yarn:  Periwinkle Sheep watercolors.  Love it!  Happy Knitting!

P.S. I am a newbie to knit-a-longs.... if there is a special way to post things, please let me know!

~Lori

Not Ranked
Posts 10
SmokeysMom wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 1:18 PM

Lori:  What a spectacular color -- like sunshine and the cables show beautifully --

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 1:54 PM

Lori - Nice work and wonderful color - I'm waiting on my book - 

Good to see you here, Sherry and Katherine.,    I'm hoping a little sock knitting will divert my recent loss.

Celia (Grandma V)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 313
sjc wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 2:30 PM

Lori:  Beautiful work and great happy color!  Your posting is perfect.

Celia:  So glad to see YOU here.  BIG HUGS ((Celia))) from your fellow Montanan.  Knitting soothes.  The loss will remain but the sharp edge of it will smooth to reflect a life well lived and love everlasting...Pick a bright yarn and knit on.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
ArnaC wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 2:51 PM

Wow!  You will have happy feet with that color.  I just got my needles and hope to swatch tonight.  Book still on the way. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 4:57 PM

Sherry,

Thank you for the hugs and the very kind words.  I'm going into Missoula in a day or two and will get some bright happy yarn.  A pair of socks will knit up quicker than finishing the sweater I have started from the last KAL and I will have a Christmas  or birthday gift on hand.  And this sounded like fun with new techniques and suggestions for improving my sock knitting.

Celia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 313
sjc wrote
on Jul 11, 2011 9:12 PM

Hi Celia and All:

I have to confess, I am challenged by sock knitting.  I like it but I don't find it easy (kind of like math in college Stick out tongue  So far I've started this first pair of socks from Ann Budd THREE times, I keep changing my mind about what yarn I want to use!  I've agonized over this all weekend to the point of obsession.  I didn't even get my laundry done!  I should stick with the latest one it's Trekking from Germany in a color called sand (sort of peachy with flecks of colors in it) but in my gut I know I want them to look different from this.  With my second yarn, Happy Feet in an olive color I actually knit past the second cable before I put it down!  They started looking like camo.  I have to go to work tomorrow so may just take some time to think about it.  I know what I want is Mountain Colors Barefoot in Harmony Garnet but I can't find it anywhere.  I have some for a sweater but I don't dare take from it or I won't have enough for the sweater!  What a quandary Sad  I might have to break down and special order it but then it will take about two weeks to get, even though it's only coming from Corvallis, MT AND I swore I would only use yarn from my stash for knit a longs but how was I to know there would be one for socks!  Who would have dreamed I could become so emotioally invested in a pair of socks?  I definately need a break...and I've barely started!  I love looking at the pictures in the book though!

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Librarynan2 wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 10:48 AM

Lovely choice, Lori. I have to finish the pair of socks on my needles before I start the KAL, so I may miss out on this one. Good photo, too.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jalberti1 wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 11:03 AM

Lori,

Thanks for posting a picture of your sock in motion.  I have started knitting my socks.  I am using Madelinetosh Sock yarn.  Not enough to post a picture yet.  I am working on another pair of socks at the same time which need to be finished by Aug. 3.  Fortunately, one sock was just finished this morning.   I am also new to Knit - longs too.  No pressure here though!

Happy Knitting!

Judy in PA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 11:26 AM

Grandma V:

Lori - Nice work and wonderful color - I'm waiting on my book - 

Good to see you here, Sherry and Katherine.,    I'm hoping a little sock knitting will divert my recent loss.

Celia (Grandma V)

You'll see me here, too, Celia! Good for you on getting bright yarn - and making socks. Agree, Lori's color choice and work is wonderful Smile

I have to sort the sock yarns in the stash, and this is a great opportunity (unless, like Sherry, I'll end up buying something?? hee hee).

Not Ranked
Posts 12
AlmaH wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 8:56 PM

I love your color......my copy arrived this evening.......now I need to wait until tomorrow (daylight!) to choose the yarn; I'm ashamed to admit how many balls of sock yarn I just HAD to buy! At least I don't have to wait until the shops open to begin!!  Good luck with your knitting!  Alma H. 

Not Ranked
Posts 12
AlmaH wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 9:00 PM

Sounds like you have to take the plunge and just pick one version to finish!! Doesn't matter which......come the cold days (and nights) you'll be glad that you did, and when you actually finish one pair (or even a single sock) the second is so much easier!  Keep at it!! We've all been where you are now!  Alma H.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
mamadeitz wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 5:03 AM

i have started and am on my 3rd cable i feel i am slow as this was 3rd night knitting. i do  about an hour and half a night. i can't wait for weekend to knit longer.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 7:02 AM

Judy in the Dyes:

I would like to know if there is a way to receive Ann's posts as she writes them.  While I enjoy reading everyone else's posts, I don't always have time to sit and read them, but of course I want to read Ann's.  Where can I find just Ann's posts?  I'm about to begin my first sock - the book is here (LOVE the dvd!), the yarn is ready, and I now have the needles!  WooHoo!!!

Hi Judy,

You can go to www.annbuddknits.blogspot.com and get her postings for her socks.  She has a completed cable sock posted with her hints on her blog.

Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jscigalski wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 8:08 AM

Fabulous color!

Page 8 of 21 (303 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS