Sock Knitting Master Class: Knit Along with Ann Budd

This post has 302 Replies | 34 Followers rated by 7 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
SkyBee wrote
on Jul 17, 2011 11:23 PM

Lori,

I liked your yarn and color so much that I just checked out Periwinkle Sheep yarns.  I'm pleased to see that they will be one of the vendors at Sock Summit.  I usually lean toward the burgundy/blue/teal side of the color wheel.  Think I will have to try something new.  Thanks for taking the time to post a picture.

Judy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mamadeitz wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 5:03 AM

I have finished the heel and gussett of first sock. I have had to read and then re-read instructions in a couple of areas. I have also had to rip out one area and it is still not correct but looks ok. You have to go slow and just read slowly and go back if you need to. I did not do much else yesterday but do the sock and rip out and start again. i don't know how come I have had such a hard time with these instructions but I keep on going. Hopefully the 2nd one will be easier.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
chanderson wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 9:25 AM

I have been having problems as well but having knitted for a long time and being a visual learner I was able to figure it out but not without alot of time and problem solving.  You are further along then I am and I hope to get to at least the traveling cable today. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,542
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 18, 2011 11:43 AM

From Ann Budd:

I finished the second Asymmetrical Cables sock from Sock Knitting Master Class! As usual, the second sock of a pair was easier for me because I'd already found the stumbling spots.

I was careful to make these socks fit me (I added 4 stitches to the cast-on to make them 1/2-inch bigger than the middle size. Read my previous posts (July 1, 6, and 8) for all the adjustments and tips I discovered along the way.

Next up are Nancy Bush's French Market Socks. I think I'll use the gold, burgundy, and raspberry Dye Dreams Luster Socks yarn that I have in my stash. (Sadly, Dye Dreams closed last year and this yarn is no longer available.)

This tightly spun, semi-solid 3-ply yarn is quite different than the softly spun heathered 2-ply that Nancy used in the original so I expect that my version will look quite different.

l keep you posted.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
lorich83 wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 12:12 PM

Thanks to Ann for posting pictures!  They helped me to set up my heel.  The assymetry of the cables made that part confusing, but I got it!

Has anyone ever used Dalegarn's Baby Ull for socks?  I'm thinking it might be fun for colorwork?

~lori

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 315
sjc wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 12:29 PM

I wish more knitters would post pictures, it really helps others to see what they will be knitting.  Just in case anyone is knitting this way I thought I'd post a picture of two at a time using the Magic Loop method.  I find it much easier than dpn's and I'm having no difficulty keeping track of the right sock vs. the left sock.  I'm at the end of the third cable with four rows of the traveling stitches done.  I haven't changed the pattern at all and I've tried them on, they fit perfectly.   I'm using Mountain Colors Weaver's Wool in color Clearwater.  I like the definition of the cables and when I'm done, I'm done with both socks...a major plus.  Knock on wood...I haven't had to rip out at all yet but heels and gussets are usually not my friend so time will tell.  Good luck knitting all...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 3:25 PM

Sherry -

Nice work.  I am going to have to take a class for Magic Loop technique.  Although I don't mind using dpns, getting both socks done at the same time is very appealing.  I haven't felt up to getting into Missoula yet to the LYS for a skein of yarn.  I am reading all the posts and hopefully that will help me get over the trouble spots.

Happy knitting all,

Celia

Not Ranked
Posts 7
pamhock wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 6:30 PM

SJC- thanks for posting your picture- socks look great! I have had to rip a couple of times- this is my first experience with cables- so I haven't got past the cuff yet! I'll post when I get a little further along.

This is such a great experience- I love getting all the suggestions as we go along. I haven't tried two at a time yet, but I actually like working with dpns.

I was so happy to get the book. Sooooo many beautiful sock patterns. Thanks again and best of luck! Pam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 8:00 PM

Sherry,

They look great, hope to see them tommorrow.  I got down to two cable and discovered that I had lost a stitch and ended up ripping back to the ribbing. So starting from square one.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
ArnaC wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 9:25 PM

I have had to rip back as well.  I am now counting stitches after every cable row.  Those little stitches are slippery!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 315
sjc wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 9:42 PM

I'm so sorry to those who have had to rip it, rip it (frogging) Sad  Maybe it wouldn't hurt to use a lifeline, at least between cables. 

You have to remember, I had four false starts before deciding which yarn to use.  With one of them I got all the way to the end of the second cable before I decided not to use it so I've had lots of practice with that part.  I didn't frog them though, maybe I'll turn them into fingerless mitts for this winter.  Camo on the hands may not be so bad as on the feet for some reason!

I got done with the fourth cable this evening, now comes the decreases and the dreaded heel.  I did all the traveling rows but they don't seem to move all the way around to the top of the foot (of course I haven't done the top of the foot yet).  Time will tell.  I really like them so far.

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 7
pamhock wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 9:52 PM

Sherry- I'll gladly do your heels if you'll do my cables!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 315
sjc wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 10:04 PM

pamhock:

Sherry- I'll gladly do your heels if you'll do my cables!

Pam, that's a wonderful offer.  Cables I''m great with.  I've actually had Judy@160 do my gussets before this knit along.  Maybe I should offer to do her cables, she's closer (we work together!).  I'm giving it a try though.  If you hear cursing through the Internet you'll know what part I'm on!

Sherry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
goldenfleece wrote
on Jul 18, 2011 11:48 PM

Yea! My book finally arrived today.  Perfect timing, since my mother-in-love is having surgery tomorrow, I'll be sitting in a hospital waiting room all day.  Good knitting time.  I spent the first hour after checking the mail listening to the CD.  It certainly is well done.  Very easy to understand and follow.... two hours later and I have the first pattern repeat of the cable done.  This pattern seems to be fairly easy to follow as long as you remember to do the repeats of rows 6,8,10 and 12 and rows 7,9,11.  I got carried away and did rows 6,7 and then like a dork moved my line marker to row 13.  Oh well, Is a pattern really worth doing if it doesn't include a small amount of frogging during the learning process? LOL.  Luckily I realized the error and only had to frog two rows to correct it.  I Love these socks.  I wear Birkenstocks all year round and these are going to look fabulous.  I might have to keep a close eye on these since my sister-in-love's favorite color is purple though. 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
SmokeysMom wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 7:23 AM

Can't wait to see what Ann's socks look like -- those colors are gorgeous, but will definitely show a different tone than the muted colors that Nancy used --

Page 12 of 21 (303 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS