Sock Knitting Master Class: Knit Along with Ann Budd

This post has 302 Replies | 34 Followers rated by 7 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
goldenfleece wrote
on Aug 12, 2011 9:08 PM

Lorich83:  Oh pretty!  They are coming along nicely.  I have frogged mine 4 times now.  I seem to be dropping a stitch after the twisted top three color rows.  I have not discovered the dropped stitch(s) until after I have started the second chart.  Not sure how it has worked through the chart, but I have done the same thing three times and then find a run and a loop all the way back to the twist.  I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it so have frogged and started over.  Maybe the fourth time will be the charm. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 5:38 PM

Surprise

goldenfleece:
  I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it so have frogged and started over.  Maybe the fourth time will be the charm.

Don't feel bad, I frogged the first yarn 3 times and was headed onto a fourth, changed yarn and finally finished them up. I found one mistake that I didn't catch till too far gone so it is staying.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 5:38 PM

Surprise

goldenfleece:
  I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it so have frogged and started over.  Maybe the fourth time will be the charm.

Don't feel bad, I frogged the first yarn 3 times and was headed onto a fourth, changed yarn and finally finished them up. I found one mistake that I didn't catch till too far gone so it is staying.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 13, 2011 5:40 PM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
goldenfleece wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 3:27 AM

Judy@160               I love the gray. My husband really likes these socks and has requested a pair in charcoal grey and one in olive green.  Your socks certainly look spectacular.  The French markets are next.  Mine are coning along well.          I am making several pairs of socks for each of my family afor Christmas.  I hope I have enough time.                                                                                                  ;

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 14, 2011 5:58 AM

Lorich83 - I usually hold one strand in each hand.  Some people hold both strands in one hand.  I have to be careful because my throwing (right) is tighter than my picking (left).  In any case, just make sure you always hold the same color in the same hand throughout the project.

I finished both the Asymmetrical Cables and the French Market Socks.  I am now on the Almondine.  I have posted more details in Ravelry, but here are the pics.

I enjoyed both pairs, but while knitting the French Market Socks it is particularly fun to watch to pattern take shape.  

Anne

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 5:16 PM

dancingturtles:

Lorich83 - I usually hold one strand in each hand.  Some people hold both strands in one hand.  I have to be careful because my throwing (right) is tighter than my picking (left).  In any case, just make sure you always hold the same color in the same hand throughout the project.

I finished both the Asymmetrical Cables and the French Market Socks.  I am now on the Almondine.  I have posted more details in Ravelry, but here are the pics.

I enjoyed both pairs, but while knitting the French Market Socks it is particularly fun to watch to pattern take shape.  

Anne

Wow, you do great work and are much braver than I with French Market Socks. I skipped them and headed for the Almondine.

Judy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 5:19 PM

goldenfleece:
My husband really likes these socks and has requested a pair in charcoal grey and one in olive green

Thanks , I guess they are a cross between grey and brown.  Paton's Kroy sock yarn .  I really liked the way they turned out.

I have made my hubby several pairs but he reports he can't  get use to them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 8:58 PM

Marie - Thank you for your advice - it is wonderful to feel the support of knitting daily friends and to feel of your love and concern and we really have never met.  Isn't it a fantastic way that a common interest bonds people together in friendship and love?  Keep knitting!!

Celia 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 9:05 PM

JudyW:

Marie, I want to thank you for your comments.  Our beloved, bright, beautiful, over-achiever daughter was struck by a student's car on a university campus early May 2010, suffering a major TBI.  She lived for fifty weeks, seemed to be making some progress, but after the first of the year, things slowly got worse until her death in late April.  I felt that everyone expected me to immediately go back to my pre-accident life and it is good to know that my difficulty with that is normal.   She loved my knitting and used and wore it until sometimes I had to knit a replacement.  There are two sweaters completed during the year anticipating her recovery. 

Celia, take care of yourself and enjoy your family.

Judy

Judy - I am deeply sorry for your loss - thank you for your concern for my loss.  What a great group of knitters here in this sock KAL.

Celia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 158
Grandma V wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 9:11 PM

goldenfleece:

Lorich83: iI love your colors too.  We will have to compare photos then they are done.  Knit On!

Ceclia and Judy W:  My prayers are with you during this time of transition in your lives post trauma.  I think that knitting is very cathartic.  I learned to knit six years ago when my father was struggling with cancer and his end of life.  My step-mother  is an avid scarf knitter.  She has a wonderful knack for combining color and textures in her scarves.  She has never learned to read a pattern but her scarves are truly Art.  She inspired me to learn to knit during our time of loss and I have not stopped knitting since and then my hobby became and obsession and finally developed into my yarn dying business.  I make time every day to knit and it really helps.  Socks are great because they promote a sense of accomplisment.  I hope that knitting helps you both in the same way it did for me. 

Blessings,

Laura

Laura - Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.  Everyone is so supportive.

Celia

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 16, 2011 5:11 AM

Judy - you are the brave one with all that you have been through recently.  My thoughts are with you.

I wanted to get better at Fair Isle, so I tackled the French Market Socks.  They ended up being not as difficult as I had feared.  That said, I only knit what I want to knit.  Knitting should be more joy than frustration!

Take care,

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 4
wall5 wrote
on Aug 16, 2011 6:13 AM

I am finishing the second of the asymmetrical socks while I am starting the first of the French Market socks.  I absolutely love the twist on the top of the socks.  Who thinks of these things???

Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Aug 16, 2011 10:52 AM

wall5:

...  I absolutely love the twist on the top of the socks.  Who thinks of these things???

Isn't that cast-on a hoot? Great fun - evidently someone in Latvia ...

Progress report, finished Asymm., well into French Market, both from yarns on hand. Sock thoughts: the Asymmetrical pair are the first I've ever done with specific right and left feet. I didn't always get the cables twisting accordingly, kept straying to the instructions for the right panel only for the row 1. It doesn't matter for wear, if I would make these for a gift I would pay more attention. I really like the cable decrease, how  the cable then disappears into the work. I give my first pair of this 'class' a conditional pass - I will have to re-knit the toes using the reinforcing thread that came with the yarn.

On the French Markets I am working with 5 dpns, one strand in each hand to work the charts. If one color has a longish stretch towards the end of one needle, I carry it at the last or second last stitch so that the work doesn't pull in when the color is needed on the next needle. I like easy repeats. The one block of the first chart seems off-kilter to work although the results look ok. Chart 3 is coming along well.  My colors are an orange/red, a pale dull green and a medium dull green, not as contrasty as I would like. The yarn is Jamieson's 2-ply and it will shrink. That is ok, I might end up with slippers for a grandchild but this pattern is fun to make. Here is a piccy:

Not Ranked
Posts 12
lorich83 wrote
on Aug 19, 2011 12:36 PM

Hey Dancingturtles,

Love your screen name!  and your socks!  Thanks for answering my question.  I'm getting along okay with one yarn in my right hand and one in my left.  The purling for the heel flap threw me... I can't quite get the hang of purling two colors. (It's not the heel, I love heels)  I'm not giving up however, they are so neat looking!  I was going to knit  just one of these, but they are so fun I might have to make two.  Almondine's are calling though...  I am thrilled to be learning so much!

Lori

Page 20 of 21 (303 items) « First ...  < Previous  17 18 19 20 21  Next > | RSS