The Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along Forum

This post has 1,785 Replies | 101 Followers rated by 18 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:01 PM

Beehiveof8...what are you using for the bands?  I was going to order Valley Yarns "Goshen" but saw the color I wanted was back ordered, so I called WEBS and they said they probably won't have it until late summer.  So, I finally decided to order from Elann,com, which I have never done before.  But, I found a yarn there that was extremely similar to the original Berroco Cotton Twist...it is called "Pegasus".  It has more rayon than Cotton Twist but the weight is about the same.  I'm hoping the color will go with a peach mercerized cotton that I have in my stash and am doing the bottom band out of right now.  The band looks great.

Lynne aka imalulu

Beehiveof8:

ARGH!!!!

The peach color I ordered from WEBS it out of stock.  They shipped the trim color, without the main body color.  They won't be getting any more of the main body color in either.   

Now I have 5 skeins of the secondary color on its way, and no main color.  At least the secondary color is a nuetral earth toned color, easy to work with.  Back to the shopping I guess....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
rockync wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:03 PM

imalulu:

I totally agree with you, Diana.  I think the side seams provide structure and that the body of the blouse may twist or bias if knitted in the round, with certain yarns anyway.

Lynne aka imalulu

dcynthiad:

Sunny, I've read that the yarn can twist when you knit in the round, and I've also read that a lot of sweaters are designed to be knit flat, instead of round, because the side seams provide structure, and as I look at the picture of the Bella and how it hangs, I think the side seams are providing the structure that makes the blouse hang the way it does. 

Diana

Good point! I am one of the knitters considering doing this in the round but I will now be looking over the first portion to this to see how well the yarn I've chosen holds up and if indeed I lose structure at which point I'll pull it out and go back to flat knitting. But I really still want to see if knitting it in the round will work because I just don't o seams well.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:21 PM

To stay on the correct row, I use the manetic chart keeper from Knitpicks ($14.99)

I cut out the charts and put them next to each other with the magnetic strips onto the board, then use another magnetic strip under the row I am knitting.  Works great.

http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Knitting_Chart_Keeper__D80314.html

Lynne aka imalulu

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
dcynthiad wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:34 PM

Thanks, I'll try that!

Diana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
dcynthiad wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:38 PM

Thanks for your affirmation--I think you're a more experienced knitter than I am, so I appreciate it!

Diana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
dcynthiad wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:40 PM

You might want to try seaming using slip stitch crochet--it's easy and gives a very finished look, and it's easy to undo and do over if you make a mistake--much easier than mattress stitch, in my view. 

Diana

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 40
tongarii wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 12:56 PM

This is good, but if you go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby, you can find small magnetic white boards for less than half the cost.  They also include magnets.  it's what I use.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,528
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 12, 2011 1:20 PM

I just decided on my yarn. I'm getting Berroco Linsey in Shell (below left) and Berroco Bonsai in Bamboo (below right). I think it'll be great, and perfect for my sister to wear in the Egyptian heat!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
dcynthiad wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 1:42 PM

Very nice!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 1:43 PM

imalulu:

Beehiveof8...what are you using for the bands?  I was going to order Valley Yarns "Goshen" but saw the color I wanted was back ordered, so I called WEBS and they said they probably won't have it until late summer.  So, I finally decided to order from Elann,com, which I have never done before.  But, I found a yarn there that was extremely similar to the original Berroco Cotton Twist...it is called "Pegasus".  It has more rayon than Cotton Twist but the weight is about the same.  I'm hoping the color will go with a peach mercerized cotton that I have in my stash and am doing the bottom band out of right now.  The band looks great.

Lynne aka imalulu

Beehiveof8:

ARGH!!!!

The peach color I ordered from WEBS it out of stock.  They shipped the trim color, without the main body color.  They won't be getting any more of the main body color in either.   

Now I have 5 skeins of the secondary color on its way, and no main color.  At least the secondary color is a nuetral earth toned color, easy to work with.  Back to the shopping I guess....

Lynne,

I'm using "Linen" for the border (Goshen yarn) and I ordered "Salmon" in Creative Focus Cotton.  Hopefully it will all work well together!  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 1:45 PM

dcynthiad:

You might want to try seaming using slip stitch crochet--it's easy and gives a very finished look, and it's easy to undo and do over if you make a mistake--much easier than mattress stitch, in my view. 

Diana

Diana, 

I might try that on the Seaweed cardi I have yet to finish (blush) .  I have a limited experience in crochet, and understand the basics.  I can see how that would be much easier!  You mentioned that tip before I think , didn't you?  I think I copy and pasted it to my "Bella Blouse" tips file.  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
fishbowlmum wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 2:01 PM

I finally picked the yarns I want to use.  Went for a deep teal shade using Cascade Cotton Rich DK for the body and Berroco Seduce Colors in Dream for the other.   Now just have to wait for them to arrive so I can get started.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
dcynthiad wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 2:06 PM

Yes, I did mention it--it is very easy.  I don't crochet, except to add finishing to knit garments.  I'm sure you can find a video on how to do it on youtube; and plenty of knitting books explain the technique, too--I usually have difficulty learning from pictures, but slip st crochet is so easy, that's how I learned. 

Diana

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JenRuhl wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 2:09 PM

Well, I went by my yarn shop today and settled on Rowan Purelife Revive in Firestone and Berroco Seduce in Vintage White.  I think they will both look great and I am officially excited!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Henrietta_1 wrote
on Jul 12, 2011 2:50 PM

I was able to find the Berroco Cotton Twist and I have a question with regards to knitting the swatch.  If the pattern says do the swatch using the larger needles (size 7), but the yarn says size 8, what should I use, the size 7's or the size 8's?

Thanks in advance

Page 36 of 120 (1786 items) « First ...  < Previous  34 35 36 37 38  Next >  ... Last » | RSS