The Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along Forum

This post has 1,785 Replies | 101 Followers rated by 18 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 40
tongarii wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 5:22 PM

Henrietta_1:

Thanks for this.  I have knitted some of the swatch using the size 7 needle and am getting 22 stitches for the 4".  I have a mental block (which I always seem to have when doing swatches and get more stitches than I need), do I need to go up a needle or down a needle.

Also with regards to the lace at the bottom, when I read the pattern, do I go from left to right or right to left (this is my 1st project using a pattern rather than having it all written out in idiot form Smile  )

Thanks for all the help

Henrietta

When you have too many stitches(like you do) you want to have larger stitches to get to your gauge.  So you go up in needle size.

A chart is not so easy for newbies. The Chart shows you what the stitches should look like on the  (RS) Right Side.   In this case the first row is on the WS (wrong side) you read the chart from bottom to top.  From the left side (WS).

so you have to do a purl stitch if the pattern shows a knit.  2nd row is read from the Right.

Someone has already mentioned zig-zag...that is how you read the chart.  Hope that makes some sense.

Tongarii

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 484
bessT wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 5:22 PM

...in case I posted without reading my message carefully enough, and want to change something Wink  It is nice to have the option.

You can also delete a photo in the quoted bit, by clicking it and then the delete key.

imalulu:

What do you mean that you can edit after you post?  How would one use that...for what reason?

I did discover that when I use the "quote" and someone's pic is in that quote...I can make the pic smaller in my reply so I don't have to re-send someone's large photo again.

Lynne aka imalulu.... BTW this is my first KAL too

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pchamber wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 5:38 PM

I decided to use Cascade Venezia, it's a silk wool blend.  I got the gauge with it and am excited to get started. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
RosemaryF@5 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 5:49 PM

got my yarn - cotton and the band will be a silk mix.  Did the gauge - just right.  Am on the 11th leaf of the band.  I had to pull it out twice at the beginning. I kept having too many stitches.  Finally decided to put a marker at the beginning and end of the leaf insert and that solved the problem!  Don't know why but the markers keep me in line.  Am so excited about doing this KAL.  I did one before but finished the shrug about a year after everyone!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Katenh50 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 6:03 PM

I'm a 40 also, so on the advice of the yarn store went up to the 42.  Didn't want to go down and have it too tight.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Katenh50 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 6:05 PM

I'm a 40 also so on the advice of my knit shop I went to the 42.  Better to be a little loose then too tight.  Good luck.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
intoxyk8 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 6:28 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply; I was working this afternoon and didn't have access to my laptop.

WS:  slip 1, p2, yo, p2tog then the rest of the pattern.

4834.Bella.pdfRS:  pattern, then end with p1, k1.

I'm attaching (hopefully) my chart as a .pdf file.  I don't know if that'll work or not.

imalulu:

Intoxyk8...I can't get it right with the slip 1 purlwise to start.  Did you slip 1 purlwise then P1 or P2 or (P2 tog, P1) before the, now, first YO?? Please spell it out for me.  Lynne aka imalulu

intoxyk8:

Here's my yarn and the band (unblocked) so far.  I didn't like the yo and p2tog at the beginning of the row, so I switched it to a p-wise slip at the beginning of each wrong-side row.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Jul 13, 2011 6:29 PM

I do the same thing with the markers on each side of the leaf.....makes it all fall into place along with counting, counting, always counting. I am using Berroco Mica - cotton, silk, nylon, linen blend and Ella Mae - bamboo, silk for the body.  

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
intoxyk8 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 6:30 PM

Attaching the .pdf seems to have worked but it the link right before the "RS."  I guess that's where my cursor was at the time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 80
Chris Essler wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 6:54 PM

That is a beautiful chart...thank you.  I'm collecting charts...haven't started yet.  I will compare them all when the yarn comes. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
LoriS@26 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 7:36 PM

Henrietta - 

I have a mental block (which I always seem to have when doing swatches and get more stitches than I need), do I need to go up a needle or down a needle.

I do that all the time.  you need a bigger needle.  We are supposed to have 20 stitches for 4" right?  So now you have too many stitches, they need to be bigger so you go to a larger needle.

as to the chart, the first row is a WS (wrong side row) so you start on the left hand side.

cheers!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
dcynthiad wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 7:43 PM

Great, thank you!

Diana

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 143
imalulu wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 7:59 PM

Intoxyk8...Thank you so much for the new way of doing the edge, and the chart.  It looks much better in my cotton than the the YO. Lynne aka imalulu

Not Ranked
Posts 12
LauraM@7 wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 8:09 PM

My yarn arrived today, Hooray! It is just as beautiful as I had hoped and sooo soft. (KnitPicks Shine in Iris and Wisteria) I want to take a picture to share but I don't know where the cord is to load it onto my computer and I would rather work on my swatch than look for it! Happy knitting to all and to all a good night!

Laura

Not Ranked
Posts 4
flashygirl wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 8:25 PM

I'm using Tahki Cotton Classic in brick for the main color and Tahki Nova (has a gold thread running through it) in canteloupe for the edging. Just swatched and am blocking -- I usually get gauge so I'm hoping to get started!

Page 43 of 120 (1786 items) « First ...  < Previous  41 42 43 44 45  Next >  ... Last » | RSS