The Official Bella Blouse Knit-Along Forum

This post has 1,785 Replies | 101 Followers rated by 18 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
MariaF@15 wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 1:17 PM

I had been looking at those exact colors online.  May I ask how they look together?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Anne Guyton wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 1:21 PM

I am now knitting the body back of my blouse and I thought I would post a photo.  I decided to make the band in 2 separate pieces so there can be a "vent" on the bottom sides.  I left the band yarn ball attached in case I change my mind later. :)

I blocked my band to gauge...just needed some minor stretching.  

I then divided my band strip into 8 same size segments using pins/markers, and divided my pick up stitch amount by 8th's.  I did that rather than by the # of repeats....because it didn't work out right for my size.  The photo doesn't really  show it very well, but the pick up edge is very smooth and flat in the change of yarns.

I also decided to do a little decorative decrease in the waist area in addition to the side decreases in the pattern.  I hope it will turn out okay.  I will have to refigure the # of stitches as I continue with the back and make a note of it so I remember to do it for the front.

I smiled when I read the posts  about "ripit, ripit" and "tinking" being the reverse of knitting!  I have 20" of band done in a YO way that I didn't like!  

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
Anne Guyton wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 1:22 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 4
heuchera wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 1:37 PM

Is there such a thing as a backwards rip and bind off?  I ask, because now, after "hitting my stride" on the lace, I think that the very first three sets/repeats are of significantly lower quality than my newer sets, but I don't want to start over.  Is it possible to slip a stick in there, reverse frog from the cast-on row, and bind off?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
robin e wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 1:50 PM

I've so enjoyed seeing everyone's photos, and have found so many helpful ideas in this forum.  Here's my trim and yarn (trim with the slip-stitch border, and a variation of the leaf (to tighten the stem):

The yarn is 50% cotton, 40% viscose, 10% silk, and very loosely spun, so I too am having to go very carefully not to split the yarn (particularly on the p2tog and ssk's).  But I had lots in stash (from a close-out sale), and liked the color and feel for this project.  (and now, my LYS is getting ready for inventory, so everything is 40% off for the next 4 days... I may not be able to resist replenishing my stock!!)

I was sad to see someone go,  but I understand the frustration.  In case anyone finds this helpful, I easily got 'off the chart' by grouping the stitches into sets (brackets below for my mental sets): 

[first 2 sts][yo pattern][2 sts before leaf][leaf][2 sts after leaf][yo pattern][last 2 sts]

So, for every RS row I have: before the leaf: [k1,p1][k1, yo, ssk][p2],

RS row, after the leaf:  [p2][k1, yo, ssk][p1,k1]

WS row, before the leaf: [sl 1, p1][p1, yo, p2tog][p1,k1]

WS row, post-leaf:  [k1,p1][p1, yo, p2tog][p2]

For the leaf itself, all WS rows are purls, and I just keep track of the RS rows (stem, inc, knit, dec, final decrease).

I too will knit in the round (will email you, rockync).  I didn't do a provisional cast-on, thinking I might like one side slit, and if not, I can cope with that small amount of seaming (I'm an awful seamer!).  My thoughts were to just knit up as in the pattern directions (up to the armhole of course).  I'm not too bothered if no seams affects the shaping a little (I'm in the club of "mature age and body"),  I hadn't thought about dropping 2 stitches per side because of seam allowance; good thought, although I like loose tops, so I might not bother. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
seajadeP wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 2:00 PM

dkoland --

Since I use interchangeable needles I use dental floss or emroidery floss. I feed it through the hole for the tightening key so it goes with my knitting.  Once I have finished the row I push the stitches onto the cable & easily pull one end of the floss through all the stitches & out of the key hole.

what a nifty idea! i use interchangeables for nearly all my knitting - never thought of such a cool trick for lifeline threading. thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
DoraH wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 2:01 PM

Anne Guyton  Anne, your colors are very nice together.  I am partial to a lighter color body and darker lace.  We'll see how things come along.  Dora

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
peet wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 2:39 PM

heuchera:

Is there such a thing as a backwards rip and bind off?  I ask, because now, after "hitting my stride" on the lace, I think that the very first three sets/repeats are of significantly lower quality than my newer sets, but I don't want to start over.  Is it possible to slip a stick in there, reverse frog from the cast-on row, and bind off?

Hi Heuchera,

I don't know if you have access to knitting books, but what you want to do is usually described as "how to shorten or lengthen a sweater".  Like you say, put a stick in where you want the band to start. Then a couple of rows below that snip a stitch with scissors and pick out both ends of the yarn.   This saves you from having to pick out from the cast on edge.  Pick out the rows up to your stick  and you should have enough yarn attached to the band to cast off the "stitches" on your stick.   Hope this makes sense.

Mary

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
peet wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 2:42 PM

fiberartisan:

A couple of people have mentioned using the kitchener stitch to join the lace and the body ... I understand using a provisional cast-on for the body but there won't be any live stitches on the lace ... how will you do a kitchener join? I'm also pretty sure that the number of rows on the lace aren't equal to the number of body stitches so I'm very curious - if this would work I'd like to use it as well.

Thanks for any and all info! 

Hi Fiberartisan,

I understood that they were using the kitchener stitch to join the cast on edge of the band to the cast off edge of the band, not the band to the body.  Does this make sense?

Mary

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
peet wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 2:46 PM

seajadeP:

dkoland --

Since I use interchangeable needles I use dental floss or emroidery floss. I feed it through the hole for the tightening key so it goes with my knitting.  Once I have finished the row I push the stitches onto the cable & easily pull one end of the floss through all the stitches & out of the key hole.

what a nifty idea! i use interchangeables for nearly all my knitting - never thought of such a cool trick for lifeline threading. thanks!

Hi dkoland,

I also think this is the COOLEST thing thanks so much.  If I learn nothing else from this KAL you have made it worthwhile .

Mary

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
dkoland wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 3:00 PM

peet:

seajadeP:

dkoland --

Hi dkoland,

I also think this is the COOLEST thing thanks so much.  If I learn nothing else from this KAL you have made it worthwhile .

Mary

While not my original idea, I am glad to pass along any knowledge & am happy to have helped fellow knitters

Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
munchkin1590 wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 3:16 PM

The written out instructions realy helped me out Big Smile I had a brain fart with the chart starting on the WSEmbarrassed I'm not sure who wrote it out but it really helped me. The life line is a really good idea too. THANKS Munchkin1590 aka Carol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
JoanA@4 wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 3:27 PM

Restarted my band this morning.  Did not like the loops along the bottom edge. The cotton yarn seemed to split along the loops making it look very messy. So have decided on the slip stitch method, It looks much neater and I am pleased with the look. Want to thank ( I don't know if it should be Ann Guyton or intoxyk8  or maybe both ) for the band chart. It is much easier to read than the one in the pattern and I don't seem to get lost on row 7.  I have enjoyed reading all the posts. Did not know there could be so many changes to a sweater pattern. Is it to late to get the mirror image chart of the sleeve?

Joan

Not Ranked
Posts 8
suzi.fishman wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 3:43 PM

MariaF@15:

I had been looking at those exact colors online.  May I ask how they look together?

MariaF not sure if you mean my colors or not.  Just speaking for myself, but I think most would agree, It would be helpful to put the post your referring to with your question.  You do this by clicking reply to the post.  Then in the window that pops up it shows the post in a light blue area, at the bottom of the light blue area in blue letters it states quote.  Click on Quote & it puts the post in the field below Description & you enter your message or question below the quote.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
fiberartisan wrote
on Jul 19, 2011 3:47 PM

peet:

fiberartisan:

A couple of people have mentioned using the kitchener stitch to join the lace and the body ... I understand using a provisional cast-on for the body but there won't be any live stitches on the lace ... how will you do a kitchener join? I'm also pretty sure that the number of rows on the lace aren't equal to the number of body stitches so I'm very curious - if this would work I'd like to use it as well.

Thanks for any and all info! 

Hi Fiberartisan,

I understood that they were using the kitchener stitch to join the cast on edge of the band to the cast off edge of the band, not the band to the body.  Does this make sense?

Mary

Oh! Perfect sense. Duh! 

Mary McRae - Bethlehem NH USA

BlogArtisans and Demystifying Social Media

Page 66 of 120 (1786 items) « First ...  < Previous  64 65 66 67 68  Next >  ... Last » | RSS